• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Special Teams Make Over

I've always wondered why out punt rtn team doesnt have all 10 guys block their 10 guys and hold them up for 2 seconds each at the line of scrim. This gives our punt man quite a bit more room to field the ball and possibly a 10 yard cushion to begin.

This would catch so many teams off guard, it would cause kios for the other team who hasnt played against it. Whata got to lose.

What is the alternative? Don't hold them up at the line and also (almost certainly) don't block the punt. That seems to be everyone's plan, quite frankly, and then somehow hope their punter shanks it, kicks it too low, or their coverage unit misses an open field tackle.

And if you are bent on blocking it, wouldn't a numbers advantage be one of your only ways? No one back to receive and run one extra person off the edge. (of course you would get seriously burned on a fake in that scenario).

Alex Henery got a Blackshirt for consistently pinning opponents on their own 5 yard line.

Don't underestimate the power of a marksman kicker. A guy like that is better than 3-4 sacks.
Very good point.

But I'd say that kind of kicker is better than 2 sacks. I don't know about 3-4.

:Catfight:

Very good point.

But I'd say that kind of kicker is better than 2 sacks. I don't know about 3-4.

:Catfight:

Depends on how many times we punt. But turning it over on the 25 versus the 5 is a 20 yard swing. In pure yardage that's like 3 or 4 good sacks.

Plus, when you pin someone in the shadows of their own goalposts, you really hamstring their playcalling ability. I mean, they COULD pass but conventional wisdom says run it 3 times to either get the 1st down or buy yourself punting space.

Depends on how many times we punt. But turning it over on the 25 versus the 5 is a 20 yard swing. In pure yardage that's like 3 or 4 good sacks.

Plus, when you pin someone in the shadows of their own goalposts, you really hamstring their playcalling ability. I mean, they COULD pass but conventional wisdom says run it 3 times to either get the 1st down or buy yourself punting space.
For sure. And over the course of a game, a punter like that might be worth more than 4 sacks.

Better yet, pin them back near their end zone, and THEN get a sack or two...

Watching the ‘94 and ‘95 Orange Bowls, I was struck by how many fullbacks were on special teams. I think the loss of this position has held back our kick units recently.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back