• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sous Vide

Got one for Christmas; a Joule.
Seems to undercook most items.
got the anova sous vide about a year ago. as for reheating prime rib or brisket its awesome. tried doing steaks a couple times, but havent quite figured out how to sear them properly using propane torch, otherwise cooks to perfection. dont know what temps you cooked your food to. but if undercooked keep experimenting. im trying a steak later. ill post results if thread still up. im shooting for medium rare 130 degrees. i like the fact that you can leave it in longer and it doesnt get past desired temp.

I have been thinking of getting one and have looked at the Joule and Anova. What have you made and based on what i have read not sure how it would undercook. Also what do you use for a container to cook in?

about the undercook part. the food usually looks undercooked when using sous vide, thats why it is critical to sear most meats either with cast iron skillet or propane torch or hot grill. and as you experiment more it might just be a couple or more degrees to get what you want.

about the undercook part. the food usually looks undercooked when using sous vide, thats why it is critical to sear most meats either with cast iron skillet or propane torch or hot grill. and as you experiment more it might just be a couple or more degrees to get what you want.
I haven't done sous vide, but I do cook steaks on low heat before searing and they always look undercooked before the searing.

I pull my steaks at 110-115 (depends on who it is for) and then sear it on the grill/cast iron with the temp around 500. Takes about a minute or two each side and it's perfect.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back