• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sourdough Bread

bugeater61

Kill All Humans
20 Year Member
I decided I was going to give this a try but was astounded by the amount of work that needs to be done in order to get to the bread baking stage. Not that its hard work or time consuming just the overall time it takes to get the starter ready. I mixed up my first batch of starter today and will “feed” it every day for the next week or so, and hope it’s ready to use.

Anyone have experience with this?

Day 2 in the books, I didn’t see any activity but I think the cooler temperatures we are having may slow down the process a bit. Time will tell.

Keep us posted. I have tried doing sour dough bread but wasn't getting the starter to work out.

Noted some good activity yesterday, day three feeding, so it seems the cooler weather isn’t affecting the bacteria to much at this point.

Noted some good activity yesterday, day three feeding, so it seems the cooler weather isn’t affecting the bacteria to much at this point.
Sour dough is great. Are you going to use a bread maker to mix and raise the dough? I did, then put the dough in french bread pans to bake, saved a lot of time and effort.

Sour dough is great. Are you going to use a bread maker to mix and raise the dough? I did, then put the dough in french bread pans to bake, saved a lot of time and effort.
No bread maker but that maybe an investment down the road. I don’t think I will use our French bread pan on my first try, I want to get a classic round loaf.

A bit of a setback, temps have been pretty cool around here for the last few days and I haven’t really been paying attention to the temperature in the house which was probably to cold for the yeast to be active. Last night I moved the starter into the oven with the light on and that seems to have set things back in motion.

Looks good so far, gotta let them cool for a bit before eating.

A66389FF-183A-4841-B310-DC96E288CF0E.jpeg

Way back it the late 60's early seventies, I was a boy scout. We went to spot in Colorado, Philmont ranch for a 2 week hike. Up in a mountain camp we had a 2 day stay over where there was a guy with his great grandpa's covered wagon mess hall. He had a crock of sour dough bread starter that had been going on for centuries. He gave several us a small amount in a baby food jar. I brought mine home and my Mom made bread from it for quite a while always adding to it to keep the culture healthy. She kept it on the window sill above the sink in the kitchen but I think it froze one cold winter and neutralized/killed the culture. Great great bread.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back