• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Soup Thickener

Squatchsker

All American
15 Year Member
So I was making Ham and Bean soup this morning and I came up with something new to me.

While I was boiling off the ham bones I was rinsing my beans that I had soaked overnight. My wife was grousing about using half n' half, or cornstarch in the soup so I started to think about an alternative.

Boy howdy did I find one.

I usually boil off my ham bone in chicken stock so I took 3 cups of soaked, non boiled beans and 2 cups of the boiling stock and put them in the blender. Puree'd it to a smooth consistency and when it was time to combine everything for the final boil I added the puree in. It did a pretty decent job as a thickener and kept the soup consistency pretty smooth. So there you go. Ham and bean and hummus soup. :Biggrin:

So I was making Ham and Bean soup this morning and I came up with something new to me.

While I was boiling off the ham bones I was rinsing my beans that I had soaked overnight. My wife was grousing about using half n' half, or cornstarch in the soup so I started to think about an alternative.

Boy howdy did I find one.

I usually boil off my ham bone in chicken stock so I took 3 cups of soaked, non boiled beans and 2 cups of the boiling stock and put them in the blender. Puree'd it to a smooth consistency and when it was time to combine everything for the final boil I added the puree in. It did a pretty decent job as a thickener and kept the soup consistency pretty smooth. So there you go. Ham and bean and hummus soup. :Biggrin:

I've done the same with Ham and Bean as well as split pea. You can also do similar when making chowders and just finely shave some potato in the soup. The shavings breakdown and naturally thicken you chowder. It's a great alternative to corn starch or flour and reduce any chance of that gritty, funky taste you sometimes get. Nice tip!

I've done the same with Ham and Bean as well as split pea. You can also do similar when making chowders and just finely shave some potato in the soup. The shavings breakdown and naturally thicken you chowder. It's a great alternative to corn starch or flour and reduce any chance of that gritty, funky taste you sometimes get. Nice tip!

I actually used potato last time except I boiled whole potatos with the ham bones, then mashed them and reintroduced it into the soup when I put the beans in for the final boil. My wife liked it but was not happy with the amount of starch in the soup. Go figure.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back