• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

JD Speilman Is Transfering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how we got here...
I think it's chicken sh#t when a coach for whatever reasons loses a player then tries to block a transfer-future opponent or not. It's JD's life and we restrict student athletes enough that we shouldn't be dictating where they can or cannot compete or finish their education. We both know that Nebraska has benefited from transfers and we shouldn't play the victim card when the shoe is on the other foot.

I know, but wouldn’t he be running home? Not away from home? I guess I didn’t understand the analogy.
Hugo said:
We tell recruits that we are family and we care about your well-being and growth. We are not going to block the transfer. It’s a bummer to lose that talent. But I’m okay losing the attitude. I still wonder what the current players think of the situation.
So I expanded on that analogy. Would you let a family member do something you felt would harm him or the rest of the family. In the analogy he is just one of the kids. So if one of the kids is doing something that would harm the rest of the family do you let them do it?

I think it's chicken sh#t when a coach for whatever reasons loses a player then tries to block a transfer-future opponent or not. It's JD's life and we restrict student athletes enough that we shouldn't be dictating where they can or cannot compete or finish their education. We both know that Nebraska has benefited from transfers and we shouldn't play the victim card when the shoe is on the other foot.
What player did we ever get from another team in our conference? EVER!!! Never happened.

What player did we ever get from another team in our conference? EVER!!! Never happened.
We got Vokolek from Rutgers. Noah is transferring to Rutgers. If Speilman is a grad transfer, he's immediately free to go and play for whoever he wants. I'm not very good at detecting sarcasm, without [sarcasm]insert sarcasm here[/sarcasm] delimiters.

Ya, I’m not saying their NFL talent is great. Frazier and Crouch didn’t stick in the NFL but I’d take them for sure again. I just think we’ve had some really productive guys.
Tommie never really had a shot with the blood clot issue. If someone was creative, Tommie could have helped many teams. So could have Crouch.

What was his coaching salary? Doubt his current gig matches it.
$400k I believe is where he ended....much different lifestyle though now.

Guy pulls in well over 6 figures from his private clients that pay him monthly, and they either A) travel time him B) pay him to travel to them, or C) do online coaching on routes and technique from home.

He may have the itch to get back, I know I would, but for what he’s got going on right now, the guys doing very, very well.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, this is the modern mindset. I have very little sympathy for JD, but do agree that he doesn't have to play here.

Hugo said:

So I expanded on that analogy. Would you let a family member do something you felt would harm him or the rest of the family. In the analogy he is just one of the kids. So if one of the kids is doing something that would harm the rest of the family do you let them do it?
I don't look at him as running away from home, as you said earlier. Think of it this way instead...

Your family has run a business for generations. You're in line to take over the family business, but you have an opportunity to do something that you feel is a better opportunity. You fight a little with your family, but in the end it's your decision to go do something different... even if your entire family still thinks it's the wrong move. Forcing you to stay isn't going to make anyone happy, so you wish him well and move on with trying to make your business the best it can be.

$400k I believe is where he ended....much different lifestyle though now.

Guy pulls in well over 6 figures from his private clients that pay him monthly, and their either A) travel time him B) pay him to travel to them, or C) do online coaching on routes and technique from home.

He may have the itch to get back, I know I would, but for what he’s got going on right now, the guys doing very, very well.
$400k is a lot of ground to make up. Not to mention benefits.

Last edited:

We got Vokolek from Rutgers. Noah is transferring to Rutgers. If Speilman is a grad transfer, he's immediately free to go and play for whoever he wants. I'm not very good at detecting sarcasm, without [sarcasm]insert sarcasm here[/sarcasm] delimiters.
Forgot about Vokolek. Again not talking about who we let go. Talking about who we got. So you got me on this one.

I don't look at him as running away from home, as you said earlier. Think of it this way instead...

Your family has run a business for generations. You're in line to take over the family business, but you have an opportunity to do something that you feel is a better opportunity. You fight a little with your family, but in the end it's your decision to go do something different... even if your entire family still thinks it's the wrong move. Forcing you to stay isn't going to make anyone happy, so you wish him well and move on with trying to make your business the best it can be.
Good counter analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back