• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Some unanswered questions on Scott Frost

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member
1. If he was truly serious about returning Nebraska to glory, why did he accept the results, and constantly make excuses? Good to great coaches don’t do that.

2. Why wasn’t he more pissed off about those results, which are ultimately on him?

3. Why did he NOT make a change with weak link coaches (immediately) if he cared so much?

4. I never sensed any urgency with him. Why was that?

5. I never once heard him say that this was unacceptable, even early, in year one. I won’t stand for this. Why?

I’m not sure the dude was ever engaged with this job, other than I’d bet he thought it would be easier than it was. He had a stellar reputation before getting to NU, and it’s totally shot to hell now. Makes me think once the winning didn’t come easy, he simply went thru the motions, collecting the money. Why would a sharp, smart, aware coach let all those things ride, if he truly cared? I’m not trying to beat a dead horse, but, I’m still baffled by all of this. How could a national championship winning player, with what was, a damn fine resume, under damn good coaches, be so absolutely terrible? It’s still hard to wrap your head around.

Depression, he was overwhelmed.
To much to handle,

But I'm just speculating,

Have no clue,
Depression? From what? A new wife, a new kid, a new job with big time money? If he was depressed, then he should have done the honorable thing and resigned years earlier, if he couldn’t do his job, rather than bleeding his own U. I know what I think, but I don’t want more time off. It’s almost like, he didn’t give a damn.

Depression? From what? A new wife, a new kid, a new job with big time money? If he was depressed, then he should have done the honorable thing and resigned years earlier, if he couldn’t do his job, rather than bleeding his own U. I know what I think, but I don’t want more time off. It’s almost like, he didn’t give a damn.
You would have to ask Scott those questions,

You mean he shouldnt have been depresssd because he had good thing in his life? Ridiculous.

Depression is a neurochemical affliction and often not tied to circumstances at all. Its not “sadness”. You cant just talk yourself out of being depressed. Cant just “smile it away”. The idea that you wouldnt be depressed under frost’s circumstances means nothing.

No wonder mental illness is so rampantly untreated —Society still doesnt understand it.

1. If he was truly serious about returning Nebraska to glory, why did he accept the results, and constantly make excuses? Good to great coaches don’t do that.

2. Why wasn’t he more pissed off about those results, which are ultimately on him?

3. Why did he NOT make a change with weak link coaches (immediately) if he cared so much?

4. I never sensed any urgency with him. Why was that?

5. I never once heard him say that this was unacceptable, even early, in year one. I won’t stand for this. Why?

I’m not sure the dude was ever engaged with this job, other than I’d bet he thought it would be easier than it was. He had a stellar reputation before getting to NU, and it’s totally shot to hell now. Makes me think once the winning didn’t come easy, he simply went thru the motions, collecting the money. Why would a sharp, smart, aware coach let all those things ride, if he truly cared? I’m not trying to beat a dead horse, but, I’m still baffled by all of this. How could a national championship winning player, with what was, a damn fine resume, under damn good coaches, be so absolutely terrible? It’s still hard to wrap your head around.
Pure speculation on my part but I think some of what you’ve attributed it to might be accurate. I just don’t necessarily condemn him as you have.

I believe it’s entirely possible that your correct in your notion that much of his success came relatively easy and that when he took the job, at some point he either ran out of answers or realized that the job was too big for him. I think it’s reasonable to assume that the pressure was likely to be a source of tension at home as well.

Unfortunately, much of the state was comparing him to the Messiah and I imagine he probably felt obligated to be the one to bring Nebraska back. Imagine the man you respect more anyone else in the world (besides maybe your father) calling you up and saying the future of Nebraska Football depends on you. Now imagine you realize you aren’t that person.

Could he have walked away? Sure, but I honestly believe the last two years broke him. If all you have left is your ego and your being asked to willingly accept your failure, admit it to the world and walk away, would you? Maybe you would. I think that’s a big ask.

I agree with much of your post, I just think your expecting a clearly flawed human being to behave as if he isn’t.

beat-dead-horse.gif

You mean he shouldnt have been depresssd because he had good thing in his life? Ridiculous.

Depression is a neurochemical affliction and often not tied to circumstances at all. Its not “sadness”. You cant just talk yourself out of being depressed. Cant just “smile it away”. The idea that you wouldnt be depressed under frost’s circumstances means nothing.

No wonder mental illness is so rampantly untreated —Society still doesnt understand it.

Yep, absolutely correct, thank you

I wasn't going to try to explain it,

I may not understand it fully, few probably do. However, given his job, if he couldn’t do it because of something like that, then you have to step down. No shame in that. I personally think it was his extra curricular lifestyle.

Last edited:
Frost took a HC job it now appears he clearly wasn't ready to handle imo. Things spiraled out of control and just kept getting worse. He didn't know how to fix things and apparently didn't ask or hire someone that might have been able to help him. Bottom line the results speak for themselves imo. I'm not going to speculate on anything else because it's nothing but speculation.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back