• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Some Things I Don't Understand

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3570

1. Why was Spielman basically ignored in the 2nd half?

2. Why virtually no passes to Stoll, Wariner, Noa, etc?

3. After being somewhat effective in the first half with the rushing game, why did we start passing on nearly every down in the 2nd half (or so it seemed)?

4. The playcalling in the 2nd half, especially in overtime, was atrocious. It was not indicative of a relentless, attacking offense that we saw last year and even in the first half of the CU game, nor of one that Scott Frost has stated that we would have.

I absolutely love our staff and I'm completely confident we will get to a championship level. I have complete faith in Scott Frost. That said, I am still dumbfounded that this staff produced the mismanagement and conservative scheming they did in the 2nd half of the game. It was Mike Riley level bad and that just really doesn't sit well with me right now. In fact, the entire game reeked of so many Pelini/Riley era games. It gives me reason for concern moving forward this season. Hopefully it gets corrected quickly.

I feel bad for all those fans that sacrificed to be there and support the Huskers. If we just learn to play even 3 quarters of football like we played the first 2 in Boulder, we will win 10 games. If we learn to play all 4 quarters that way, nobody will beat us. I'm just not confident right now the team is mentally equipped to do that. It may take a couple years to develop that mental aspect.

Last edited by a moderator:
3. After being somewhat effective in the first half with the rushing game, why did we start passing on nearly every down in the 2nd half (or so it seemed)?

4. The playcalling in the 2nd half, especially in overtime, was atrocious. It was not indicative of a relentless, attacking offense that we saw last year and even in the first half of the CU game, nor of one that Scott Frost has stated that we would have.
SF called a poor game... no getting around it. I think part of it comes from learning under the Chip Kelly coaching tree. While always a potent offense, Chip Kelly was never a great situational play caller imo. Mark Helrich was also very poor in this catergory. Its a fun and exciting offense to watch most of the time, but it has a lot of risk built into its DNA

SF called a poor game... no getting around it. I think part of it comes from learning under the Chip Kelly coaching tree. While always a potent offense, Chip Kelly was never a great situational play caller imo. Mark Helrich was also very poor in this catergory. Its a fun and exciting offense to watch most of the time, but it has a lot of risk built into its DNA
Agreed, and especially, when you don't have the big Hogmollies up on the O line to open up gaping holes for your RB's to gash through. I honestly don't think we are that far off, and it may indeed be next year or even 2021, but I think we have the coaching staff to make this happen. I'm not overly concerned at this point in time. GBR

I absolutely love our staff and I'm completely confident we will get to a championship level. I have complete faith in Scott Frost. That said, I am still dumbfounded that this staff produced the mismanagement and conservative scheming they did in the 2nd half of the game. It was Mike Riley level bad and that just really doesn't sit well with me right now. In fact, the entire game reeked of so many Pelini/Riley era games. It gives me reason for grave concern moving forward.
This seems very schizophrenic. Especially when you say you are completely confident we will get to a championship level but have grave concern moving forward.
Everyone needs to buckle in. We are a lower level B1G team possibly moving backward and NOTHING is a given.

This seems very schizophrenic. Especially when you say you are completely confident we will get to a championship level but have grave concern moving forward.
Everyone needs to buckle in. We are a lower level B1G team possibly moving backward and NOTHING is a given.

I do think this staff will get us to the level we as fans want to be at, but right now, and for the next few games, there's definitely some concern after the way the game was managed against CU. I think those are the feelings of most of the fan base right now. I guess we are all schizo in that regard. :Biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

When they ran these kind of schemes at Oregon it was dependent on depth, and for a couple reasons.

First, you need a lot of defensive rotation. The offense is lightning quick, so the D has more time on the field. Gotta have at least two deep at every position, and preferably 3 guys who are serviceable. Otherwise you see late game collapses like Colorado.

Secondly, on offense, you're only one injury away from having to change your entire playcalling. There was a game where Oregon played Stanford in overtime. To even GET to OT required the Duck kicker to shank a ~25yd FG in regulation (he did) and then shank ANOTHER ~25yd FG in OT, giving Stanford the win.

Chip Kelly teams were absolutely terrible in the kicking game, largely because they'd hang 50pts on you and never need the kicker. But in games like this - where we get outcoached or the opponent has better talent - we're gonna need that kicker. And a backup.

I could not disagree with this more. This is not a lower level Big 10 team. Most likely, this is a middle of the road, Big 10 team.

1. Why was Spielman basically ignored in the 2nd half?

2. Why virtually no passes to Stoll, Wariner, Noa, etc?

I absolutely love our staff and I'm completely confident we will get to a championship level. I have complete faith in Scott Frost. That said, I am still dumbfounded that this staff produced the mismanagement and conservative scheming they did in the 2nd half of the game. It was Mike Riley level bad and that just really doesn't sit well with me right now. In fact, the entire game reeked of so many Pelini/Riley era games. It gives me reason for concern moving forward this season. Hopefully it gets corrected quickly.

I feel bad for all those fans that sacrificed to be there and support the Huskers. If we just learn to play even 3 quarters of football like we played the first 2 in Boulder, we will win 10 games. If we learn to play all 4 quarters that way, nobody will beat us. I'm just not confident right now the team is mentally equipped to do that. It may take a couple years to develop that mental aspect.
I'll try for you....

1) Take him away, you negate most of our passing game

2) Warner hurt, and Noa is not explosive enough to get open. With Stoll, we started splitting him out wide and it was just weird. In the play that they replayed, you watch Stoll try to sprint past the corner and the corner is just jogging with him. If you are going to do do that, put Allen out there. Stoll is only effective when lined up inside and can run those choice routes or arrows to the sideline. Misuse there by Frost if you ask me. But we need Warner back to get an outside threat, we don't have one right now so corners can be left on islands and defensive coordinators don't have to be scared at all. Safeties can basically play up and give 9 in the box.

3) We did start passing a bit more towards the end of the 3rd, that was interesting. What's tough tho, is we run RPOs. So the pass plays aren't necessarily called, they are dictated by the look the defense gives us.

4) I bet Frost would be right there with you on that. He wants it back to I would imagine.

The players have their 24 hour time for a game hangover, my suggestion is the fans should too. It is time to move on. Learn from the past but don't dwell on it. On to NIU. :Huskerflag:
Problem is the loss stays on the permanent record. End of last year we didn't look like a 4-8 team, so the record was ignored. This year we are looking like a 4-8 team. Our offense does need to learn where to have some consistency. It's a shame Frost thought he knew what to do and when to do it, when the opposite was the case. I will unfortunately dwell on the loss to Colorado. They had no business beating us.

I'll try for you....

1) Take him away, you negate most of our passing game

2) Warner hurt, and Noa is not explosive enough to get open. With Stoll, we started splitting him out wide and it was just weird. In the play that they replayed, you watch Stoll try to sprint past the corner and the corner is just jogging with him. If you are going to do do that, put Allen out there. Stoll is only effective when lined up inside and can run those choice routes or arrows to the sideline. Misuse there by Frost if you ask me. But we need Warner back to get an outside threat, we don't have one right now so corners can be left on islands and defensive coordinators don't have to be scared at all. Safeties can basically play up and give 9 in the box.

3) We did start passing a bit more towards the end of the 3rd, that was interesting. What's tough tho, is we run RPOs. So the pass plays aren't necessarily called, they are dictated by the look the defense gives us.

4) I bet Frost would be right there with you on that. He wants it back to I would imagine.

The Stoll thing was weird. I was thinking jump balls at some point.

It's confusing to me that Spielman was taken away, yet the offense is predicated on what the defense gives you. So if they were taking him away, then there should have been other options. Surely someone in that receivers group can get open and catch the ball.

Tucker saw a QB and a head coach that could be rattled. Boy was he right. The first drive of the 3rd quarter was such garbage. Frost was still trying to script plays rather than take what was given. It was beyond stubborn.

I hope Frost doesn't screw with AM's head too much moving forward. You either want the guy to makes reads and play fast and not be afraid to fail and run with authority, or you want him to be limited to throwing to covered receivers on the sideline, or staying in a pocket forever waiting for your complexities to unfold. The whole thing Saturday was just weird.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back