• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Soccer 2019-20 Season

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
EPL started today

Big match tomorrow with United opening with Chelsea

QPR off to a great start in two league matches in the Championship taking 4 of a possible 6 points and sitting in third place early

Last edited:
United hammers down with two goals from Martiel and Rashford in minute 65 and 66

Its now United 3 Chelsea 0

MU are FUN to watch. Chelsea has major problems on defense. Losing David Luiz didn't help but he would have gotten throttled today by Rashford and Martial. Rash, Martial and Lingard should have fun this year. I liked about everything I saw from them today and thought McTominay and Pereira played their roles well. For as much crap as Pogba takes, he's second half was fantastic. Lindelof and Maguire looked solid overall. Maguire, individually, was fantastic. Depth will be the issue and time will tell how that plays out for them.

Chelsea looked about as most expected. They couldn't get Tammy service. Defense in the middle of the pitch through midfield and in the back was spotty. I think Kovacic, unlike most others, is a nice piece. He played with better confidence. Their problem is simple going forward. Other than Pulisic, who is unproven in the EPL, they don't have anyone who can break a defense down. Barkley gets himself in good spots but doesn't have the final quality to make much from it. Getting Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek back will make them much better. But they currently will have trouble scoring against better sides and their defense is below-average of all EPL teams. Zouma has never been a high-end EPL defender. He got exposed, if you can call it that since everyone knows he's a problem. Christensen makes mental errors far too often but when paired with Rutiger, does well. Mount and Jorginho didn't provide much of anything going forward and both are defensive liabilities.

It'll be an interesting year for Chelsea. They do have some young guys who need time and hopefully the fans give it to them before freaking out, which will happen at some point this year. Mount, Emerson, Pulisic, Tammy, and Hudson-Odoi need minutes. They all have enough potential to give them the chance. Not sure when Odoi and Loftus-Cheek will be back from injury, but it's not anytime soon, I think.

Atlanta up 3-2 vs. Club America in Champeons Cup in the 77th minute. America now playing with 10 men. Thuggery ensuing.

It's about time we play these Mexican teams during the MLS season. It's a joke playing the Concacaf Champions League when MLS sides haven't even started their seasons. Man, I want Atlanta to lay another 2 goals on these guys.

For as much as I love the way Sporting KC does business, I fear MLS has just officially passed them by. Every year the league gets better. This year is no different. I thought last year was a big jump, but this year is a massive increase in all aspects of the game. Sporting is essentially playing a roster that should be better, but not as much as I once thought at the start of the season. I'm watching other teams with players who are more creative and technical. Less holes to exploit. I think Sporting doesn't have the horses for anything more than a lower playoff seed with how things stack up. They won't be seeing the playoffs this year, though. They have some players, but far too few who are at the new MLS level if we're talking about winning at a high level.

I was on the fence about opening up the team salary cap, but it has to be done, at least to a new level. Get rid of the designated player rules. Increase the number of foreign players allowed from 8 to 10. That's still enough to bring up the young US talent. Right now, teams are filling rosters with older crappy US players that have trouble competing and don't hurt their cap number. That's a horrible way to manage a roster and leads to poor depth, league-wide.

Let the teams fail if they can't keep their financials in order. There are enough teams now and enough popularity; the league is too big to fail for the most part if the cap is realistic. There are enough well run USL teams with solid fan bases that can fill holes if an owner runs a team into financial ruin on the MLS level. I know they're worried about disparity, but that's simply not possible once a league and fandom reach a certain level. Let the league find it's new level without hamstringing teams. With the developing academies being put in place everywhere, there won't be a shortage of talented young players needing a first-team roster slot. Let the teams fight for the young talent. Give them the financial freedom to make MLS just as appealing as Europe for the kids.

The most impressive aspect of the 2019 season has been the excitement surrounding certain USL teams, and the league in general. It's kind of stuck in a strange mix of MLS B teams and those teams wanting to get bigger. Fans are coming out to see them play. Those fans aren't going anywhere. MLS is at 24 teams with plans to get to 30, from most of the chatter being thrown around. 30 teams is too many. We are officially getting to a point where promotion/relegation will have traction. USL has around 10 teams that aren't B teams who have ownership thinking MLS. If the popularity keeps rising, and it will, something has to give. They have 10 teams right now averaging more than 6,000 attendance per game.

More than anything, I'm just excited about the MLS right now. So much good is happening with the game and league. One final shout out to Klinsmann, the man who told us the MLS wasn't a good thing for American soccer development. So glad that douchebag was sent packing.

Last edited:
RSL finally did what they should have done a no th ago and fired coach Mike Petke for homophobic remarks he made in Spanish to a ref in a game vs a Mexican La Liga team. He has been on club and league suspension since until he was fired.

With that being said the team has done well and sits in fourth place in the West. A playoff position.

QPR in game three suffered their first loss to Bristol City 2-0. Sitting on 4 points now in 13th place just three points from tip of the table at 1-1-1

Frank Lampard welcome to the EPL as a coach. Chelsea itting in 15th place on 1 point after two games

United plays tomorrow and a win could put them top of the table.

Frank Lampard welcome to the EPL as a coach. Chelsea itting in 15th place on 1 point after two games

United plays tomorrow and a win could put them top of the table.
Chelsea will, hopefully, finish 8th in the table this year. There best playmaker is Pedro.

I'll let that sink in.

Chelsea will, hopefully, finish 8th in the table this year. There best playmaker is Pedro.

I'll let that sink in.

With a young and frankly inexperienced coach running a new system and issues with player personal a Top 10 finish will be tough in my opinion.

United on the other hand brought in a young coach who has been blooded in Norway and a short stint with a bottom feeder EPL team. Not to mention their off season signings were extremely good both talent wise and back to the United blueprint of bringing in British players. Which will more than likely sees very few looking to leave year in and year out.

United will end up in the Top 3 and frankly have a shot to take the league

With a young and frankly inexperienced coach running a new system and issues with player personal a Top 10 finish will be tough in my opinion.

United on the other hand brought in a young coach who has been blooded in Norway and a short stint with a bottom feeder EPL team. Not to mention their off season signings were extremely good both talent wise and back to the United blueprint of bringing in British players. Which will more than likely sees very few looking to leave year in and year out.

United will end up in the Top 3 and frankly have a shot to take the league
I'm thinking 4-6, even if Pogba goes crazy primadonna. And 4-6 if he doesn't.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back