• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sobering list of hurdles

dallasblackshirt

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
Today's article from Husker Dan provides a sobering list of facts which highlight the challenge before us this season to getting to a winning record.

He lists 21 considerations with the first 16 being fact related challenges we are going to have or have had. It is not judgmental but a restatement of challenges which cannot be disputed

This certainly supports why Vegas has us as a 6-6 team.

of the 21 issues the man talks about in the article 3 of them are schedule related ( we already knew this) 3 of them are about inexperience in a couple position groups ( RB, WR and Oline, but all 3 most people feel real good about) 3 of them talk positively about our defense and all three levels ( and we know this will be a strength of the team) 2 of them speak to the QB position and mostly about Martinez( Lubik and improved O-line will help this issue)

Seem like Dan is rehashing the rehash, after Drinking some kool-aid I predict a 8 - 5 with a bowl win

of the 21 issues the man talks about in the article 3 of them are schedule related ( we already knew this) 3 of them are about inexperience in a couple position groups ( RB, WR and Oline, but all 3 most people feel real good about) 3 of them talk positively about our defense and all three levels ( and we know this will be a strength of the team) 2 of them speak to the QB position and mostly about Martinez( Lubik and improved O-line will help this issue)

Seem like Dan is rehashing the rehash, after Drinking some kool-aid I predict a 8 - 5 with a bowl win
That's much better than my 2 loss prediction. Lol

Paricularly daunting and why I think we'll be hard pressed to make 6-6:

8.) The Huskers have a three-year starter (Adrian Martinez) returning at QB this fall. But as a starter, he's won only nine games. In his freshman year in 2018, he led the nation in fumbles, was 10th in 2019 and tied for second in 2020.

9.) The QBs backing up Martinez this fall have zero game experience.

10.) Last year the Huskers ranked 122nd nationally in turnover margin.

Also, I'd count Michigan as a loss, not a toss-up.

Today's article from Husker Dan provides a sobering list of facts which highlight the challenge before us this season to getting to a winning record.

He lists 21 considerations with the first 16 being fact related challenges we are going to have or have had. It is not judgmental but a restatement of challenges which cannot be disputed

Well Husker Dan can't add... It was 5 wins, 4 losses & 3 toss ups... I'd actually put Minnesota in the Toss Up category (if Iowa is a toss up, the Gophers should be, too - even if it is away). That would put it to 5-3-4... but 7-5 is what I am hoping for with a +/- of 1. But reality is when you look how we've done the 6-6 is a legitimate line. We have our work cut out even for that...

That said, I am bullish on the Defense. I believe the O-Line has the potential to be very good this year... our Receivers should be the best since Frost's first year - and deeper overall. Martinez should be healthy. We have the potential to be very good (by recent standards) this year.

Last edited:

I will be happy if we win 6 games and go to a bowl.Haven’t done that lately. I love our Huskers,but have serious doubts on this staff’s ability to get us there.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

Frost has effectively hitched his wagon to Martinez. If AM is in the top 10 in fumbles again this year he’s in trouble. We’ve had three years of him being a turnover machine - I hope there will be a significant change in the O game plan to not put AM in positions where he can turn it over. We have no one behind him at the moment. Things will have to really gel in fall camp given we have so many other skill position players that have little to no experience in our system. Hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

Frost has effectively hitched his wagon to Martinez. If AM is in the top 10 in fumbles again this year he’s in trouble. We’ve had three years of him being a turnover machine - I hope there will be a significant change in the O game plan to not put AM in positions where he can turn it over. We have no one behind him at the moment. Things will have to really gel in fall camp given we have so many other skill position players that have little to no experience in our system. Hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

Here's to AM living up to his potential. Cheers!

My view of the season comes down to three factors.

1. Will AM reverse his turnover propensity and be able to complete sideline and downfield (>20 yard) passes
2. Team discipline (i.e. less turnovers, penalties, mind numbing missed assignments)
3. Special team play

If we solve for the above I bet we win 7-8 games with opportunity to get to 9

Good grief...how many ways can we moan about the upcoming season before the first kickoff. HuskerDan doesn't know anything about the 2021 Huskers. I swear some of you must get up in the morning and look for misery and the company it keeps. 9-4 after the bowl win.

Well number 8 is deceptively true (but by my count it is not true) but not telling us what we think it is. He didn't start 3 games in a shortened season last year. The prior year (2019) I am pretty sure he was our starting QB in all 5 wins. Now we are already sitting at 7. In 2018 I am pretty sure he started all 4 wins. Now we are sitting at 11. So unless I am forgetting NV starting a game I am not sure where we are getting this information from.

We might as well just pack it in right now, people. There's no hope.

:Bananalazy:

Are you kidding me? Articles (and threads) like this (negativity / pessimism) are key contributors to crappy culture in an organization.

The battlefield is no place for despair or regret. Let's get on with the season already!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back