• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So you’re Scott Frost....

ThrowFar60

Scout Team
5 Year Member
You decide to make 1 change to your coaching staff at the end of the season....

• who is it?
  • Why?
  • Who do you replace them with?

Austin all day long. Our line is terrible. Zero improvement, same stupid mistakes every single weekend. We have a center that can’t snap and our starting guard is his backup. That’s the best we can do?

Like I said in the game thread, he wouldn’t have made the bus home. We got beat all day long and had no idea how to to stop them from getting into our backfield, let alone get any significant push up front.

You decide to make 1 change to your coaching staff at the end of the season....

• who is it?
  • Why?
  • Who do you replace them with?
For me it’s:

Who: Greg Austin
Why: After 3 seasons, the progress expected on the offensive line just hasn’t materialized.
Replace with: Roman Sapalou - former GA here under Riley who had success at Idaho and now is tearing it up at Fresno State as their Offensive Line coach and run game coordinator. Familiar with Lincoln, and is one of the hottest young coaches out there.

Only 1? There are so many candidates. Hard to go wrong with any of the offensive assistants.

-- Lubick gets the benefit of the doubt since he is new and has actually had success in a Power 5 program.

-- Beckton is the least of our problems. The TE's have played reasonably well when given opportunities, and he recruits Georgia well.

-- Held is supposed to be this great recruiter, and maybe he is. But none of the guys he has recruited to play RB in 3 years are making any impact (I'm considering Robison to be a WR who has been pressed into RB duty). Development is a big problem here. Just think if we had a RB who could run for anywhere 100 yards/game.

-- Verduzco has presided over AM's collapse from his Freshman year. McCaffrey does not look ready to be a full-time FBS quarterback and seems almost incapable of completing any downfield throw or midrange throw between the hash marks. Mario missed on several QB targets for the 2021 class before settling on Haarberg, who will be the lowest-rated class QB that we have signed with this staff. Do we trust Mario to develop a young man coming from the Class C ranks of Nebraska high school football into a legit Big 10 starter?

-- Austin probably edges out Held and Verduzco, but it is close. Austin has recruited fairly well, typically landing at least one 4* per class. That may be what keeps him around. The O-Line is just terrible though. We have arguably the worst "traditional" running back run game in the country. Too many penalties and too many missed blocks.

I don't think it's a tough call between Austin and Verduczo - Austin needs to be shown the door. If the QBs had better snaps/protection, if the RBs actually had some holes to run through, if we had fewer false starts this would be a completely different team. The O-line's performance is terrible and under performs regardless of the competition. I have a hard time believing the talent on the line is that bad; it's got to be poor coaching. I still believe though it'll be a mute point if we stink the place up again next year. Unless Frost takes it upon himself to make major changes he and his crew will all be gone.

Austin clearly has had the most negative impact on this years 1-4 record.

coach is right with him. Needs to go

the one other coach no one brought up but think needs to go is chin. Unless yesterday we turned the page then we will be back scratching our head in the next game or so

the sickening thing is Nebraska coaching staff is the worst the money can buy

Austin all day long. Our line is terrible. Zero improvement, same stupid mistakes every single weekend. We have a center that can’t snap and our starting guard is his backup. That’s the best we can do?

Like I said in the game thread, he wouldn’t have made the bus home. We got beat all day long and had no idea how to to stop them from getting into our backfield, let alone get any significant push up front.

This and I get that he is an "NU Guy". Scott will probably not pull the trigger, but with my very own eyes, I see our OL kill scoring drives in one score games more than I would like to.

I will play since my name is Scott, lol. First, I YELL at the players, I tell the team to shut the doors and have at it, no coaches, just players to settle their grievance. Then I get all the coaches together and tell them they have 3 games left to get their resume ready. They either perform or they are looking for work January 1st. The time for coddling is over and it is just time to have that come to Jesus meeting.

Here we go good question. There are lots of options. Held sucks maybe move him to coach the WR's we need his recruiting. Get a better running back coach. Replace QB coach for sure. But 100% replace Austin he has everything returning starters one of the biggest lines and we still can't block anything.

It all starts up front. Regardless of how talented the skill positions are, if the big boys can't pass pro and move guys it won't matter. Good reasons for those listed above. I can't disagree with any of them. As mentioned, Held does great in recruiting, but the last "great" back we had was Oz.......And he only got his shot because Bell left. Not a whole lot of development in that room....Not a lot of improvement in the QB room....

Like @skerinks said, I'd have a closed door meeting. Let the players know this is your time to vent, rip, accuse, counter accuse etc...and get whatever you have on your chest out. Seems to be some issues that left unaddressed will fester and cause more issues down the road.

IMHO, it would also help if Frost stepped back and was a CEO. Didn't try to do so much. Often times you get so involved in the little things, the big things start to suffer.

It's going to be an interesting off season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back