• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So what's wrong with our kicker?

Even if Pickering returns fully healthy? Hard to have two scholarship kickers. What they need to do is have a solid Alex Henery-esque walk-on sitting behind their scholarship kicker.

Now find a scholarship punter in addition to Pickering ... maybe ... but again isn't this where the walk-on program is supposed to help you?
Yes...no guarantee that Pickering will be back at this point, and if he is, will he return to good form...will he avoid re-injury? We will probably never have another Henery-esque type placekicker walk on. Placekicking is crucial...it provides points, lots of them. As we are seeing, it would be unwise to continue down this road any further.

Yes...no guarantee that Pickering will be back at this point, and if he is, will he return to good form...will he avoid re-injury? We will probably never have another Henery-esque type placekicker walk on. Placekicking is crucial...it provides points, lots of them. As we are seeing, it would be unwise to continue down this road any further.

Are you saying they should have more than 1 scholarship kicker on the roster?

Cannot afford 2 scholarships at PK.

What they need is a couple of walk-ons unlike this year they had only one. Would help having a punter competent at PK as well.

Disagree on a Henry-esque walkon. We’ve had a lot of good/decent local Nebraska kids as kickers. Maher for example.

What they need is a couple of walk-ons unlike this year they had only one. Would help having a punter competent at PK as well.

Disagree on a Henry-esque walkon. We’ve had a lot of good/decent local Nebraska kids as kickers. Maher for example.
Wrong. Obviously, as witnessed this season...we can't count on walk-on kickers.

Actually, we did immediately following Henery in Brett Maher who now kicks for the Dallas Cowboys. That being said, I am for having at least one scholarship place kicker on the roster. I don't see how we justify having a backup on scholarship unless the starter is a senior and the backup is a freshman playing in four games max.

Last edited:

Crazy until your FG kicker tears a groin in a game of naked twister.
I'm sure the coaching staff is doing everything possible to correct this situation. It really is an unusual set of circumstances and the Huskers got caught with lack of depth in the place kicking category....who knew.....

If only the PK situation was even close to the top of the list of problems with this team I’d be ecstatic. At this point it’s not even in the top 5.

Totally disagree. We already have to many scholly players that very rarely see the field so I would rather have a 2nd scholly Kicker who rarely sees the field but can be called upon in situations like we have this year.

If you had someone like Frohm or McCashland on your roster - at least they've been in the program for a year - you know what they can and cannot do - what their capabilities are.
We had them, but we could not keep them... Doesn't that tell you something?

They probably felt their options were better elsewhere. Also, smaller colleges IIRC can give partial scholarships, and I think can get academic scholarship assistance that does not count against limits in FCS, like it can in BCS. Henery at some level was initially on academic scholarship but had to go to athletic scholarship when he played.

Last edited:

Totally disagree. We already have to many scholly players that very rarely see the field so I would rather have a 2nd scholly Kicker who rarely sees the field but can be called upon in situations like we have this year.
Like what we had when Kunalik was the kickoff guy and a different kicker ( cant remember who right off the bat) handled fg and pats. I don't think it was a waste of a scholly. Maybe get guy to walkon and basically have tryout then put on scholly if it works out. Kunalik was an awesome weapon on kickoffs

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back