• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So Supreme Court taking up paying players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t care if athletes get some money. I really wish the payments would be equal for everyone and come from the NCAA though. If we leave it up to the schools it will be unfair and abused.
Where will the ncaa get the money? From the institutions? Do you expect Kansas and liberty university to pony up the same amount as Alabama, Ohio State and notre dame so that all players are paid equally?

If players are going to be paid, do they then become employees of the university. Do they get benefits outside of the ones they received on scholarship. Can they unionize and hold the university to increase salaries or strike and not play games.
Lots of issues coming, including if they are considered employees then all benefits will become taxable.
Pretty sure the contracts would bear that out

I haven't cared about pro sports for a long time because of the money and the increasing effort to drag politics into a place they don't belong. I'm not sure my affinity for college sports will survive this. I already have pretty much quit following college sports much beyond the Huskers with the exception of college football and March Madness.

I get that college athletes at big time schools invest massive amounts of time in their sport. They also get clothing, food, lodging, sport specific training and a free education complete with tutors and academic support. By any reasonably accounting, they are getting a package worth $100,000+ per year and they play in front of avid fans and fly to most of their games. If they really don't want an education they should find another path to professional sports (if they're good enough). Most of them aren't good enough or don't play in sports with sufficient fan interest to pull down $100K based on their contribution. They really aren't exploited. And the few who do have value in excess of the $100K are free to go to the next level and earn their fair market value.

Now, get off my dang lawn!

who defines outrageous salaries ?
I suppose it's all relative to what others are paid in the public sector? A coach making say 100 grand a week might seem a tad excessive to some people especially when it's tied to a 35 million contract? So a 5 year contract sets up a HC for life might also seem excessive to some. It might even seem outragious to the players that are being coached? Coaches can pick up and leave anytime for any reason to the next highest bidder. I'm simply repeating some of the reasons why there is a pay for play scheme being ajudicated via the courts now.

College athletices are laughing supposed to be amateur sports which everyone knows is a joke. When you're paying coaches many millions of dollars it hardly seems very amateur like to most fans.

I suppose it's all relative to what others are paid in the public sector? A coach making say 100 grand a week might seem a tad excessive to some people especially when it's tied to a 35 million contract? So a 5 year contract sets up a HC for life might also seem excessive to some. It might even seem outragious to the players that are being coached? Coaches can pick up and leave anytime for any reason to the next highest bidder. I'm simply repeating some of the reasons why there is a pay for play scheme being ajudicated via the courts now.

College athletices are laughing supposed to be amateur sports which everyone knows is a joke. When you're paying coaches many millions of dollars it hardly seems very amateur like to most fans.

hasn’t been amateur for many decades. It became pro with the advent of the athletic scholarship: Paying a kid to attend university so he can ball makes about sense as the Lakers drafting a 4.0 mechanical engineer graduate.

hasn’t been amateur for many decades. It became pro with the advent of the athletic scholarship: Paying a kid to attend university so he can ball makes about sense as the Lakers drafting a 4.0 mechanical engineer graduate.
You asked a question I attempted to answer it best I could. I'm not arguing pay for play is good simply that I believe it's coming like it or not.

Part of the problem is linking amateur to the coaches and administration. Nobody every intended for people working full time in lifetime jobs to be considered amateur. I also think you have to be careful linking paid amateur players to an entire college system because only the top few percent of the coaches are making outrageous coaching salaries. I'll be clear what I mean by that. There are roughly 480,000 ncaa athletes. Only a small portion of those athletes are coached by coaches with atrocious salaries. Many coaches also risk stability in their profession at that high level.

I read one of the big issues driving this pay for play for players is the outrageous salaries paid to coaches! In most states the highest paid public employee (by millions) is a head football and/or basketball coach. Millions paid to them even when they are failing to field good teams (cough, cough). Coaches and their families are being set up for life from public institutions while the majority of players sacrifice their health for a stipend and scholarships. That seems to be the main focus of the argument. Since not many schools actually make money from their athletic programs it's a strange situation.

I have no idea if that's accurate or how much (if any) those huge coaching salaries have helped bring pay for play to the courts. No idea how this would actually work if enacted and neither will the Supreme Court imo. Just have to kick back and see what happens but the decision isn't expected until June.
Don’t they sacrifice their health in high school also? Where does it stop? In college, at a big time institution, they are being paid. A scholarship, which 99% will need, free, free travel to exciting places you’d never see, athletic wear, free, notoriety, also they get some money, free. I mean, that adds up. Pay the players and the food chain ends as it’s known now.

Part of the problem is linking amateur to the coaches and administration. Nobody every intended for people working full time in lifetime jobs to be considered amateur. I also think you have to be careful linking paid amateur players to an entire college system because only the top few percent of the coaches are making outrageous coaching salaries. I'll be clear what I mean by that. There are roughly 480,000 ncaa athletes. Only a small portion of those athletes are coached by coaches with atrocious salaries. Many coaches also risk stability in their profession at that high level.
My guess is someone on that court is certainly going to look at numbers like these... just saying.

USA TODAY Sports' annual review of coaches' compensation found that the average total pay for FBS head coaches in 2020-21 is $2.7 million, a 1.1% increase from last year's average. Those figures include the pay reductions that some coaches are taking this

My guess is someone on that court is certainly going to look at numbers like these... just saying.
Unfortunately that only represents a smaller portion of all head coaches in all sports and all divisions. Once the pay the players movement starts it will likely mean all athletes. Title IX will probably drive that.

I think a compromise is to forbid colleges from compensating athletes a dime, other than the athletic scholarship, which is a grant.

On the other hand, the NCAA cannot forbid athletes from cashing on on their own name and reputation as a side hustle.

Everyone should have the chance to earn a buck in this country.

Last edited:

I think a compromise is to forbid colleges from compensating athletes a dime, other than the athletic scholarship, which is a grant.

On the other hand, the NCAA cannot forbid athletes from cashing on on their own name and reputation as a side hustle.

Everyone should have the chance to earn a buck in this country.
Let me ask here, but doesn’t the college create the likeness, name recognition, and reputation by putting the athletes on a platform? I mean, w o college, they wouldn’t have any of that, which is free to them. The athlete going to college is bettering themselves via many avenues a regular student does not have. Even if you aren’t a star, locally, regionally, you’re already known, and, if one played their cards right, I’m sure a pretty nice job would await upon graduation. You wouldn’t have that without the college offering you on a platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back