• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So let’s tap the brakes a bit...

Refs had nothing to do with this loss.
In general I would agree with you but there are always so many intangibles.

And for them not to review that very first fumble which set the tone was just unconscionable.

I also do not understand why Frost was not jumping up and down on the sidelines demanding a review or calling a time out.

So many things I just do not get about the Cornhuskers this year.

Two plays set the tone of that game and both at the beginnings of each half. The questionable call that when I ran it back in slow motion I think clearly shows a forward pass. And then the fake punt which was a comedy of errors on our part.

The first fumble was clearly a violation in the sense that McCaffrey was ahead of the line of scrimmage. At the worst we should have been penalized.

That play and the Purdue offensive pass interference call which cost them the game was just another indication of how human officials can be and they can make mistakes. But in this age of technology there is absolutely no excuse for it any longer.

The trouble is you have to use the technology instead of ignore it.

Last edited:
Part of what is so alarming to me is how this head coach and staff has the same time other staffs do, yet still seem so unprepared and unable to anticipate, adjust, or respond with conviction to situations on the field.

as an example, the fact that they let that first play of the game go without at least challenging it, is a huge red flag. pun intended.

I'm certain he's getting year four, but year five is questionable -- not at all a lock.

Let's say we finish this season with 1-2 wins. Frost is going to go into 2021 with a bullseye on his back. That's just how it is, fair or not. Today did more damage to the perception of our program under Frost than any other game by far. The hope meter dropped significantly among the fan base (and possibly some recruits). We didn't just lose to a team that hasn't had a winning season in 9 years -- that we were favored by 16.5 on the closing line -- we were owned. I've never seen Nebraska owned like they were today against a team as mediocre to poor as Illinois.

What happens if we struggle the rest of the way this season -- do you think we hold the recruiting class together? I'm skeptical. What happens with another losing season next year -- the recruits are going to be running away quickly -- guaranteed. What if we find our recruiting class ranked 4th in the West when we are always first (and lose even with the talent advantage)? Do we just go ahead and push forward to year five and hope the rapidly sinking ship isn't destroyed to the point that a bigger rebuild than we've ever seen in Lincoln is required? I'm very concerned Frost's sales pitch to recruits is going to be leaking oil quickly -- to the point it's gushing oil if we fail again in year four.

Even you said "if next year is a train wreck like this year, I think we all know the writing is on the wall." Then why push forward with a year five knowing the risk of even greater damage to this program is very real?

Look -- maybe we can pull out winning two of our final three games somehow. And maybe we can get six wins and a bowl game next season. That would certainly earn Frost a year five. But if those are instead failures, I don't see how Frost gets a year five. It will be even uglier than Riley's year three. Tickets will struggle to sell. Recruits won't buy what Frost is selling. And alumni with great financial pull will have tremendous influence. We cannot have four consecutive losing seasons under Frost and expect a season five -- absolutely no way.
I hear what you are saying and you could be right.

But I do think he gets a year 5 regardless....

as long as the recruiting holds....and I think it will. I coached HS and the “allure” of a “winning“ program means little to these kids. They went to PLAY and be showcased in a system that makes sense to them and their parents. Ohio State and Alabama can pick and choose and get that kid that believes he is so talented and arrogant that HE will be the starter against other 5 Stars...and good for them. But that does not mean that careful recruiting by someone with a pedigree like us can’t get a buttload of good talent. Hell even schools WITHOUT a pedigree....Look at Purdue....look at Bateman and Ibrahim at Minny

and in reality, the money and ticket sales and fan apathy just are really non factors. I mean we are talking NEBRASKA! Regardless of what happens in the next two seasons do you honestly think that new football facility does not get built?

2022 we stop the pain of playing tOSU and we get Oklahoma at home. And some other manageable games. AND by then we are older, more experienced and actually have depth.

next year is a crapshoot...agreed....and the heat WILL be HOT if we do poorly.

But I think year 5....barring a 3-9 meltdown or a scandel....and if his recruiting classes stay solid

i think he gets it.

But what do I know......My wife reminds me pretty much daily how much I am WRONG about.

Probably too busy coming up with the next play.
I think that was his excuse in the presser if I’m not mistaken. I was astounded. If he wants to get so heavily involved in the playcalling that’s totally fine. But have someone designated as the common sense guy who can grab him And yell COACH....TIME OUT NOW!

I mean if a 66-year-old, burned out, ex grunt paratrooper ocan clearly see what is needed then there absolutely has to be an assistant coach on that staff who could play that role.

Hell, I volunteer. They don’t have to pay me a dime and I would wear a mask! I can still yell pretty loud.....Army training....

Last edited:
I think that was his excuse in the presser if I’m not mistaken. I was astounded. If he wants to get so heavily involved in the playcalling that’s totally fine. But have someone designated as the common sense guy who can grab him And yell COACH....TIME OUT NOW!

I mean if a 66-year-old, burned out, ex grunt paratrooper ocan clearly see what is needed then there absolutely has to be an assistant coach on that staff who could play that role.

Hell, I volunteer. They don’t have to pay me a dime and I would wear a mask! I can still yell pretty loud.....Army training....

I'm gonna continue to beat this drum. I think Frost needs to hand over play calling and be a CEO. I think it's a real problem and why this team looks so disorganized at times.

I'm certain he's getting year four, but year five is questionable -- not at all a lock.

Let's say we finish this season with 1-2 wins. Frost is going to go into 2021 with a bullseye on his back. That's just how it is, fair or not. Today did more damage to the perception of our program under Frost than any other game by far. The hope meter dropped significantly among the fan base (and possibly some recruits). We didn't just lose to a team that hasn't had a winning season in 9 years -- that we were favored by 16.5 on the closing line -- we were owned. I've never seen Nebraska owned like they were today against a team as mediocre to poor as Illinois.

What happens if we struggle the rest of the way this season -- do you think we hold the recruiting class together? I'm skeptical. What happens with another losing season next year -- the recruits are going to be running away quickly -- guaranteed. What if we find our recruiting class ranked 4th in the West when we are always first (and lose even with the talent advantage)? Do we just go ahead and push forward to year five and hope the rapidly sinking ship isn't destroyed to the point that a bigger rebuild than we've ever seen in Lincoln is required? I'm very concerned Frost's sales pitch to recruits is going to be leaking oil quickly -- to the point it's gushing oil if we fail again in year four.

Even you said "if next year is a train wreck like this year, I think we all know the writing is on the wall." Then why push forward with a year five knowing the risk of even greater damage to this program is very real?

Look -- maybe we can pull out winning two of our final three games somehow. And maybe we can get six wins and a bowl game next season. That would certainly earn Frost a year five. But if those are instead failures, I don't see how Frost gets a year five. It will be even uglier than Riley's year three. Tickets will struggle to sell. Recruits won't buy what Frost is selling. And alumni with great financial pull will have tremendous influence. We cannot have four consecutive losing seasons under Frost and expect a season five -- absolutely no way.

As always HWM, you make very reasoned points. I think he gets, and deserves 5 years. I think this because we can't continue to the coaching carousel. I think Frost would admit he's made mistakes and we need to give him chance to correct that. But probably the biggest reason for me is that this year is essentially a throw away year. I'm not sure just how much no spring ball, games canceled, late start to the season, etc have affected this team. While it is adding to his body of work, I think it's totally fair to give him a mulligan for this year. I don't think firing him after 4 years is a good look considering. Regardless, if Moos is still the AD he isn't going anywhere. Let's just hope we aren't having this conversation after next season.

What kind of training, soldier? - GIF on Imgur

C

you laugh, but he said as much in the presser
I thought he had said it. I was so astounded that I wasn’t sure he had said it that way.

I wonder if Scott even realizes just how ridiculous his statement sounds.

he needs to MANAGE....

I agree...time to pass off the play calling duties. It is consuming him...distracting him from the bigger picture.

and it’s not like he has been a “brilliant“ playcaller this year......

Captains don’t man the trench with another rifle...they manage what resources they have...shift, adjust as necessary concerning the whole situation. Can’t be done if you are consumed getting a sight picture and squeezing off rounds.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back