• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So....is Raiola Gone after this year since he couldn't pull in his nephew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we let Donovan coach his position under a seasoned HC and competent OC before we start throwing dirt on him. How would that be?

Or is that too much to ask of the "greatest fans in college football"?
I think there is enough koolaid being posted already that this board can handle all small dose of critique of a position coach with questionable experience. Every post and opinion doesn’t need to be done with head in sand.

At this point I’m simply hoping our guys stay healthy. A couple season ending injuries and there isn’t a coach out there that would make a significant difference.

Last edited:
Rhule went with Raiola for a few reasons:
  • Coaches the method that Rhule likes
  • Coached in the NFL
  • Coached under the well respected Harry Hiestand at Notre Dame and the Bears
  • Highly recommended by other offensive line coaches

Rhule, though, has made it clear that Raiola teaches in a way that Rhule prefers. Both men favor what might be considered an “old-school” approach.

Rhule said last week, he admires Hiestand’s work. Admires his approach.

“He doesn’t want them grabbing guys,” says Hiestand, 64, Notre Dame’s offensive line coach and a mentor of Raiola’s.

Raiola emphasizes pad leverage and physical play.

“He wants them running off the ball,” Hiestand says.
I also think Rhule will have a very strong hand himself in coaching the OLine so he’s going to see first hand DRs ability. Also might be young enough that Rhule can mold him in his way.

I wasnt a fan of the Raiola hire the first time around nor the second. When you look at his background and his one year success it doesn’t pass the sniff test. That being said I’ve complained of the offensive blocking scheme for the last 8 years. Too many times the scheme seems to be letting front line defenders through unchecked. There is no way that a guy with his resume consisting of grad assistant, internships and part time minimum wage in the pros allowed him a say in putrid schemes. Let’s see how he gets guys working in a Rhule scheme with Rhule helping. He might have what it takes. This is a position coach that has to be on a short leash if it’s not working. I’d be more than willing to hire the best oline coach out there at coordinator salary. It’s just too important.
1684684159323.png

Here is the Oline coach. I mean Frank Solich has returned why not the coach who was hired to replace him coaching our Oline :gimmefive:

I think there is enough koolaid being posted already that this board can handle all small dose of critique of a position coach with questionable experience. Every post and opinion doesn’t need to be done with head in sand.
of course, I have seen no real critique offered, just, far as I can tell, unfounded speculation from people significantly less knowledgeable than the man that kept him as o line coach.

of course, I have seen no real critique offered, just, far as I can tell, unfounded speculation from people significantly less knowledgeable than the man that kept him as o line coach.
The same speculative posts made the last 5 years from the same less knowledgeable posters than the guy who hired him. I just don’t see a reason to dismiss the opinions of fans who don’t drink the koolaid.

View attachment 96903
Here is the Oline coach. I mean Frank Solich has returned why not the coach who was hired to replace him coaching our Oline :gimmefive:
I wasn't convinced his work alongside Dennis Wagner was all that impressive either. Especially considering he was also defacto O-Coordinator. His recruits set the tendency to be far better NFL linemen and NCAA linemen. That persisted through four head coaches.

His offenses had huge tendencies to go to sleep several quarters in a row.

Last edited:

View attachment 96903

It was funny that as I was posting those comments I thought of him. Pretty sure that ship has sailed.

Of course it would never happen given the situation.

However, Nebraska wouldn’t want to pay what it would cost to pry someone of his caliber away from a current position in the NFL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back