• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So....is Raiola Gone after this year since he couldn't pull in his nephew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder if coach Rhule retained Raiola due to fact he had difficulty to hire experienced oline coach and staying within his assistant budget. Couple of other coaches on staff have had experience with oline so maybe Raiola will have some other inputs to lean on

I have to wonder if coach Rhule retained Raiola due to fact he had difficulty to hire experienced oline coach and staying within his assistant budget. Couple of other coaches on staff have had experience with oline so maybe Raiola will have some other inputs to lean on
We had a $7,000,000 assistant pool and hired $5,965,000 worth. I think he saw something in Donovan

Rhule went with Raiola for a few reasons:
  • Coaches the method that Rhule likes
  • Coached in the NFL
  • Coached under the well respected Harry Hiestand at Notre Dame and the Bears
  • Highly recommended by other offensive line coaches

Rhule, though, has made it clear that Raiola teaches in a way that Rhule prefers. Both men favor what might be considered an “old-school” approach.

Rhule said last week, he admires Hiestand’s work. Admires his approach.

“He doesn’t want them grabbing guys,” says Hiestand, 64, Notre Dame’s offensive line coach and a mentor of Raiola’s.

Raiola emphasizes pad leverage and physical play.

“He wants them running off the ball,” Hiestand says.

I think it is naive to think he was not hired to up our chances at recruiting Dylan. But, per other posts seem to indicate Donovan may be a good coach. I think the subtraction of our former center, the return of Teddy, and the addition on Scott should raise our level. IMO, the lack of a pass rush and the lack of an even adequate o line have kept us out of bowls the last whatever years. I think White will help with the pass rush and an attacking defense. I personally think there had better be marked improvement on the o line this year or Raiola is gone. JMO

What if Dylan breaks both legs in practice. No way we kept him for a high school great. Maybe Dylan comes back after warming the bench at Georgia. Point here is if you are into predicting the future you shouldnt coach. Bring 2 good qbs every year. Not one due to family. We are loaded with 4 star talent that looks like 2.

When Rhule spoke about the philopshy of blocking technique there was a lot that stood out to me. I hope you were listening because all last year you swore up and down that our OL was horrible. It was clear that not only did Rhule not agree with you, but he also liked the method DL used to coach. If you can recall he said that there are three offensive line philophies. Two work in his scheme and one does not. DL coached one of the two that worked and he thought there were a lot more factors that went into the failure of our OL then purely the OL itself.

I guess it is a bit of a moot point right now. I would say that if the OL continues to have issues then you could have been right. They certainly had their issues in the spring game.

I watched a lot of Syracuse over the past 2 years. Our DC is good. I am optimistic that our OL issues in the spring game were more of a consequence that our D is going to be very good.
I'm sure it was more than just our ol sucking last year but they were horrible.

We'll see if it was coaching or what.

I have no insider knowledge but I think Dom was retained for a few of reasons. It's usually a good idea to retain one coach from a previous staff to maintain some continuity with the returning players, and since Dom was the one least attached to SF it makes some sense. Dom also seems to fit the young and hungry mold that Rhule seems to look for in his assistants, although the hungry part is yet to be seen.

Rhule went with Raiola for a few reasons:
  • Coaches the method that Rhule likes
  • Coached in the NFL
  • Coached under the well respected Harry Hiestand at Notre Dame and the Bears
  • Highly recommended by other offensive line coaches

Rhule, though, has made it clear that Raiola teaches in a way that Rhule prefers. Both men favor what might be considered an “old-school” approach.

Rhule said last week, he admires Hiestand’s work. Admires his approach.

“He doesn’t want them grabbing guys,” says Hiestand, 64, Notre Dame’s offensive line coach and a mentor of Raiola’s.

Raiola emphasizes pad leverage and physical play.

“He wants them running off the ball,” Hiestand says.
Thanks for sharing. I know our average age on here isn't 30, but dang, there must be some severe cases of forgetfulness here when folks have to speculate why Rhule kept DR because they can't even remember HCMR's explanation from 6 months ago.
One other thing you didn't list that Rhule repeatedly commented on was that DR just put his head down and showed up for work every day while he awaited his fate. Just kept showing up and working. Rhule respected that.

I have no insider knowledge but I think Dom was retained for a few of reasons. It's usually a good idea to retain one coach from a previous staff to maintain some continuity with the returning players, and since Dom was the one least attached to SF it makes some sense. Dom also seems to fit the young and hungry mold that Rhule seems to look for in his assistants, although the hungry part is yet to be seen.
I think it’s showing with us being in the fold for multiple blue chip OL recruits, including the #1 OT in the country

Think Raiola will be just fine. Give the guy a chance with everyone being on the same page coaching wise and see how the O line goes
I wasnt a fan of the Raiola hire the first time around nor the second. When you look at his background and his one year success it doesn’t pass the sniff test. That being said I’ve complained of the offensive blocking scheme for the last 8 years. Too many times the scheme seems to be letting front line defenders through unchecked. There is no way that a guy with his resume consisting of grad assistant, internships and part time minimum wage in the pros allowed him a say in putrid schemes. Let’s see how he gets guys working in a Rhule scheme with Rhule helping. He might have what it takes. This is a position coach that has to be on a short leash if it’s not working. I’d be more than willing to hire the best oline coach out there at coordinator salary. It’s just too important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back