• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So....is Raiola Gone after this year since he couldn't pull in his nephew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s hard not to make the connection given DRs experience and background for this position. The fact is he doesn’t have the qualifications to be a head line coach at a P5 program. Now if Rhule believes he has enough inherent qualities that allow Rhule to help him grow into it then fine. But it’s a week argument to believe his initial hire and retention didn’t have some flavor of Dylan recruitment involved.
Well, he had one year as a P5 head line coach, which is more than several other NU head position coaches hired by Rhule. We will never know if his uncle status was a small added plus or a deciding factor, but if Rhule wanted to keep one member of the staff (as he said he did), DR made as much sense as anyone.
And don’t forget, he is still the uncle of an uncommitted D. Raiola QB with a Husker offer.

Not trying to be a hot take guy whatsoever, but just asking the masses on this. If O-line is a soft point for our team....how long is his leash?
If that was the only reason he was kept on, I think that is a much bigger problem. I understand landing Raiola would have been huge for the program, but we were a long-shot even with his Uncle on staff.

If the O-line doesn't get better this year, he is for sure gone. We HAVE to be better up front. The justification for his job, in my opinion, will be determined by play on the field, not in QB recruiting.

I said it before and I'll say it again, you don't take a new job and a complete rebuild and retain an offensive line coach simply because of the prospect of landing his nephew. Offensive line has been a crap show for many years, so it would have been an amazingly large risk to retain the offensive line coach if he didn't believe in him.

As much as I wanted them to go out and land an established coach, I'm putting my trust in HCMR on this one.

Last edited:

If that was the only reason he was kept on, I think that is a much bigger problem. I understand landing Raiola would have been huge for the program, but we were a long-shot even with his Uncle on staff.

If the O-line doesn't get better this year, he is for sure gone. We HAVE to be better up front. The justification for his job, in my opinion, will be determined by play on the field, not in QB recruiting.
Also, (not to build up hope for anyone) but the Dylan Raiola chances aren't completely gone for us. He is going to be headed to a deep QB room at Georgia, where only one guy will be able to play. He might sit a year there and decide he wants to enter the portal. You'd hope we might be better by that point and an attractive destination for him.

Again, we shouldn't be keeping his Uncle on staff in hopes we can land him. His work as a coach should dictate his employment.

My guess based on what players have said about him this year, is that he will leave us at some point because he will be pursued by programs that can offer him more. In other words he wil be a very good coach, and that is why he was hired IMO.

Put it this way: do I think he would've been retained had Dylan not been part of the equation? No.

So, let’s play this out. Let’s say Rhule hired Raiola in the hopes of pulling in Dylan, and it works. He commits and signs his letter to Nebraska. The people rejoice.

But then it stands to reason that in order to keep Dylan from transferring, Uncle needs to be retained during Dylan’s college years. That’s at least another 4 years, 5 if Dylan redshirts. That’s a LONG time to be stuck with a position coach just for the sake of 1 player, no matter how special he is.

Yes, that's why I think keeping him for a chance at a recruit is dumb and I don't think he would do that.
When Rhule spoke about the philopshy of blocking technique there was a lot that stood out to me. I hope you were listening because all last year you swore up and down that our OL was horrible. It was clear that not only did Rhule not agree with you, but he also liked the method DL used to coach. If you can recall he said that there are three offensive line philophies. Two work in his scheme and one does not. DL coached one of the two that worked and he thought there were a lot more factors that went into the failure of our OL then purely the OL itself.

I guess it is a bit of a moot point right now. I would say that if the OL continues to have issues then you could have been right. They certainly had their issues in the spring game.

I watched a lot of Syracuse over the past 2 years. Our DC is good. I am optimistic that our OL issues in the spring game were more of a consequence that our D is going to be very good.

Well, he had one year as a P5 head line coach, which is more than several other NU head position coaches hired by Rhule. We will never know if his uncle status was a small added plus or a deciding factor, but if Rhule wanted to keep one member of the staff (as he said he did), DR made as much sense as anyone.
And don’t forget, he is still the uncle of an uncommitted D. Raiola QB with a Husker offer.
One year experience was here and was not a solid look on his resume considering how bad the performance was. But yes you are correct. We have a lot of coaches in stepped up higher roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back