• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So, 81 scholarship players.

I agree. Chances are he's only a one year starter. I could see giving him one for the 2019 season then not "renewing" it. I think Benhart is the RT with Farniok at guard in 2020, if not by the end of '19, although messing with chemistry might curtail that move this season.

I'm not sure that will happen, but we'll see. I think people are underestimating the time it takes to become a quality OT for Benhart, and are underestimating how good Hixson can be at OG. He has a great frame, good athleticism, and the kind of attitude Austin likes.

I'm not sure that will happen, but we'll see. I think people are underestimating the time it takes to become a quality OT for Benhart, and are underestimating how good Hixson can be at OG. He has a great frame, good athleticism, and the kind of attitude Austin likes.

True, but Brendan Jaimes was arguably not as ready and a lower rated prospect out of high school (.8797 3 star/ #44 OT) and he started 9 games as a true freshman. Benhart appears to be closer to ready physically and was a consensus 4 star and the #13 OT prospect in last year's class. If you extrapolate that out, you could make a case that Benhart could have a chance to play. I'd still prefer to see upperclassmen starting accross the OL, but it will be interesting to see what plays out in the fall.

Last edited:
True, but Brendan Jaimes was arguably not as ready and a lower rated prospect out of high school (.8797 3 star/ #44 OT) and he started 9 games as a true freshman. Benhart appears to be closer to ready physically and was a consensus 4 star and the #13 OT prospect in last year's class. If you extrapolate that out, you could make a case that Benhart could have a chance to play. I'd still prefer to see upperclassmen starting accross the OL, but it will be interesting to see what plays out in the fall.
It’s interesting what people define as “ready”. You should see what Lake Travis (his high school) does offensively. From a mental standpoint, and the competition he went up against, a multi-year starter at that school is “ready” for a Power5 starting spot. That said, his physical attributes aren’t what Benharts are. But I can assure you Benhart will have more technique work to clean up as well as the competition will be eye opening for him. The coaches down at Lake Travis are no joke.

It’s interesting what people define as “ready”. You should see what Lake Travis (his high school) does offensively. From a mental standpoint, and the competition he went up against, a multi-year starter at that school is “ready” for a Power5 starting spot. That said, his physical attributes aren’t what Benharts are. But I can assure you Benhart will have more technique work to clean up as well as the competition will be eye opening for him. The coaches down at Lake Travis are no joke.

Yup

The great Hank Carter, highest paid HS football coach in Texas.

Agree

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back