• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

So, 81 scholarship players.

Didn't hear that. Maybe he was talking as if Armstrong was already on scholarship then?

Not sure. I'd be surprised if Armstrong is not on scholarship once the season starts. Here's the article/quote where Frost talks about Hixson.

Head coach Scott Frost said Thursday night on the Husker Sports Nightly radio program that Hixson would start at guard if NU played right now and that he's a testament to the school's growing walk-on program.

"He's got to keep battling and earn it, but he's done a really good job," Frost said, adding Hixson is among the top candidates for a scholarship among the walk-ons.

Not sure. I'd be surprised if Armstrong is not on scholarship once the season starts. Here's the article/quote where Frost talks about Hixson.
Ok, got it. I would certainly put them up there with top candidates. Warner and Armstrong are 1A and 1B, depends what Kurt wants to do. Hixson and Mazour would be on that second level and do you reward the senior or give it to the guy who will most likely be playing more? You also have Andrew Bunch who started a game for you last year and guys like Joey Johnson.

Ok, got it. I would certainly put them up there with top candidates. Warner and Armstrong are 1A and 1B, depends what Kurt wants to do. Hixson and Mazour would be on that second level and do you reward the senior or give it to the guy who will most likely be playing more? You also have Andrew Bunch who started a game for you last year and guys like Joey Johnson.

If it's up to me, I'm giving scholarships to Chase Urbach and Jeremiah Stovall before I give them to Bunch and Johnson. Bunch started a game last year, but he's more than likely going to be fourth on the depth chart this year. Johnson could crack the two deep, but that's uncertain. I'd wait on him until he produces first. Urbach will be the starting LS and Stovall is one of the special team standouts. Plus they're both seniors and we'll get the scholarship back for the 2020 class. I think Mazour will be on scholarship again. He'll probably start the year at minimum third string. He lined up as one of the KR some last year, right?

I want Kurt Warner to be singing the praises of the Huskers and Scott Frost for decades to come. It shouldn't be held against Kade that his father has a lot of money, but if they're planning on offering him anyway, I think that it would be worth having a conversation with Kurt to say that they're planning on doing that, but that they'd want to check with him first, just in case he'd be interested in making a donation to the athletic department of one football scholarship in the form of turning down the one offered to Kade. (You can choose better wording, but you know what I mean.) I suspect that the competitor in him would like the idea of having another player available on scholarship to make the team better. He may also like the idea of rewarding another walk-on who is struggling to get by.

Last edited:
I agree. Chances are he's only a one year starter. I could see giving him one for the 2019 season then not "renewing" it. I think Benhart is the RT with Farniok at guard in 2020, if not by the end of '19, although messing with chemistry might curtail that move this season.
Per bolded, we shall see.

If it's up to me, I'm giving scholarships to Chase Urbach and Jeremiah Stovall before I give them to Bunch and Johnson. Bunch started a game last year, but he's more than likely going to be fourth on the depth chart this year. Johnson could crack the two deep, but that's uncertain. I'd wait on him until he produces first. Urbach will be the starting LS and Stovall is one of the special team standouts. Plus they're both seniors and we'll get the scholarship back for the 2020 class. I think Mazour will be on scholarship again. He'll probably start the year at minimum third string. He lined up as one of the KR some last year, right?
Be curious to see what they do with Stovall, was in the doghouse for a bit. Do they reward him for bursting out of it?

Don't think JJ is in the conversation. As you said earlier, the players usually have to contribute first and all the others listed have done more of that. JJ would be an award based on what might happen.

money in the bank or not, earning a scholly from off the walkon list is special and will always look good on a resume. more valuable than scholly money in my book.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back