• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Snow

I find it funny when places shut down over less than 2 feet of snow. HAHAHAHA! That is some funny stuff. We can get over 5 feet here, and they just plow the streets, business as usual. Although, you can tell the idiots that don't how to drive on snow and/or ice, because they don't slow down. It's also funny to watch the morons with their jacked up trucks and big fat tires just boogie on down the road and then hit a curve and they are wrapped up around a huge pine tree. Shutting down for 10 inches of snow, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I see reports that over half of Lincoln's city buses are stranded, so they are suspending operations.

I'm guessing there is at least 10 inches of snow on the ground as of 3PM (based on earlier estimates) -- and still falling. Maybe some of you could provide backyard snowfall measurements. :)

I find it funny when places shut down over less than 2 feet of snow. HAHAHAHA! That is some funny stuff. We can get over 5 feet here, and they just plow the streets, business as usual. Although, you can tell the idiots that don't how to drive on snow and/or ice, because they don't slow down. It's also funny to watch the morons with their jacked up trucks and big fat tires just boogie on down the road and then hit a curve and they are wrapped up around a huge pine tree. Shutting down for 10 inches of snow, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
In Nashville, it's instant gridlock with over 2" of snow. Thank the good Lord it doesn't happen very often. About 4 years ago we got about 5 inches that started coming down around lunchtime. I shut down my facility at around 2:30 and left shortly after. My 23 mile commute took over 6 hours.

In Nashville, it's instant gridlock with over 2" of snow. Thank the good Lord it doesn't happen very often. About 4 years ago we got about 5 inches that started coming down around lunchtime. I shut down my facility at around 2:30 and left shortly after. My 23 mile commute took over 6 hours.

Similar concept in Austin -- though we are even less likely than Nashville to experience winter type precipitation. About two times per decade snow accumulates here -- but when it does, game over.

Having lived in many cities and different climates, I know exactly why for some cities a foot of snow is no big deal, while for others, an inch shuts down life. It's all about how much each city budgets for snow/ice removal. Places like Buffalo, Minneapolis, or Western U.S. mountain towns are going to budget more -- as they know they'll need it plenty each winter. Places like Austin, there are no snow plows, and there's a limited amount of chemicals to treat roads. Lincoln is somewhere in-between because there are winters commonly there when they may only see a handful of small accumulation (1-3 inch types) of snow. Also, they take into account trying to make certain they don't run out of road treatment (salt, chemicals, whatever) by using most of it by late-January.

Similar concept in Austin -- though we are even less likely than Nashville to experience winter type precipitation. About two times per decade snow accumulates here -- but when it does, game over.

Having lived in many cities and different climates, I know exactly why for some cities a foot of snow is no big deal, while for others, an inch shuts down life. It's all about how much each city budgets for snow/ice removal. Places like Buffalo, Minneapolis, or Western U.S. mountain towns are going to budget more -- as they know they'll need it plenty each winter. Places like Austin, there are no snow plows, and there's a limited amount of chemicals to treat roads. Lincoln is somewhere in-between because there are winters commonly there when they may only see a handful of small accumulation (1-3 inch types) of snow. Also, they take into account trying to make certain they don't run out of road treatment (salt, chemicals, whatever) by using most of it by late-January.
Spot on. Driver inexperience leads to the gridlock and problems as well. If I wasn't so damn frustrated I would have really got a laugh out of watching Nashvillian's try to navigate an elevated exit off the interstate. They would make it half way up, slow down as they approached traffic on the exits, then get stuck half way up with their wheels spinning. After that the adventure really began as they would try to back down to a more level spot to gain enough speed to try again. In fairness there is almost always an icing element prior to our snowfalls.

Hate to sound like a d**k, but here in eastern NC it's supposed to be around 70 tomorrow. But...snow flurries by Wednesday into Thursday. No accumulation. Anything that makes the ground white here causes massive panic.

I was so looking forward to a decent accumulation, no wonder it didn't snow. Just wanted to call coyotes at night, using the moon for light.
We have well over 12 inches of snow and it is still snowing. Cleaned he porch twice with my small electric snow blower. Winter storm watch has been extended until 9:00 am tomorrow. Note the amount of snow piled on the end of the porch wall. The wall is 14 inches high.
IMG_1310.jpg

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back