• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Snapshot: Nebraska Football in the Last Four Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Did Devaney or Osborne lose at home to teams who finished their season with losing records? I haven't looked it up I'm honestly curious. Bo has done that twice in a row now and lost to 7-6 ISU at home in 2009.

Point taken. I think the consensus around here looks like this:

6 Wins or Less
Poor
7 Wins
Fair
8 Wins
Decent
9 Wins
Good, with room to grow
10 Wins
Very Good
11 Wins
Great
12+ Wins
Excellent
National Title
Ultimate

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

I certainly don't think you or cm represent the concensus. Don't think anyone elected you. I don't represent the concensus either because I have high standards, but rather than lower my standards, I would hope you would raise yours. My thread about expectations for the upcoming season would tend to indicate that expectations far exceed this ridiculously low so-called "consensus." 6 wins should get the HC fired immediately at seasons end, it is not just "poor." 7 wins is downright unacceptable at Nebraska, but maybe just gets the HC one more year to right the ship, not merely "fair." 8 wins is NOT "decent" it is very poor. 9 wins is minimally acceptable. 10 is okay, 11 is good, 12 is very good, 13 is great, and 14 is nirvana.

Last edited:

Outside of Oklahoma, and maybe one other Big 8 team who would be good that year (they rotated), most of the conference were "gimme" wins (I dont really believe in gimme wins, but they were clearly mostly inferior programs).
Particularly if you figure that back then NU had enormous program and roster advantages over all but a few programs.

During most of Devaney's tenure Missouri was a very good program. Kansas and KSU were better than they later became (pre Snyder). ISU and OSU were competitive especially at home, as was CU. There were few "gimme" games until TO took over and put Boyd Epply in charge of the strength program...after a few years Boyd really got that going...THAT alone is what made the Big 8 into the Big 2 and little 6. OU had gobs of talent and we had the incredible strength program and quite a bit of talent too.

Last edited:

Did Devaney or Osborne lose at home to teams who finished their season with losing records? I haven't looked it up I'm honestly curious. Bo has done that twice in a row now and lost to 7-6 ISU at home in 2009.

It was 9-7.

I certainly don't think you or cm represent the concensus. Don't think anyone elected you. I don't represent the concensus either because I have high standards, but rather than lower my standards, I would hope you would raise yours. My thread about expectations for the upcoming season would tend to indicate that expectations far exceed this ridiculously low so-called "consensus." 6 wins should get the HC fired immediately at seasons end, it is not just "poor." 7 wins is downright unacceptable at Nebraska, but maybe just gets the HC one more year to right the ship, not merely "fair." 8 wins is NOT "decent" it is very poor. 9 wins is minimally acceptable. 10 is okay, 11 is good, 12 is very good, 13 is great, and 14 is nirvana.

Pretty black and white with you. No gray area here. 8 wins is very poor but 9 wins is acceptable? You are arguing his chart by just changing what each category says but not necessarily saying anything different that the chart is already saying. His chart isn't suggesting we should be comfortable with anything less that 9 wins. Actually it says with 9 wins there's room to grow, which means, build on that success, get better. 8 wins is a decent year regardless how you look at it. Nobody is satisfied with decent, it just mean it's not a bad year. Yes we would like to win every game we play but realistically that's not going to happen more often than not. Not in today's game. The talent is spread out a bit more than it was 15 to 20 years ago. The 90's have been gone for over a decade now. Even teams that were extremely dominant in recent history (Florida, USC), have/had taken a step back in the last 4 seasons. Chanting that a Nebraska team that hasn't big on the big stage in 10 years winning only 9 games is only acceptable with a 4 year old HC is a little blind.

Frankly, I've never heard anyone say that they hated Bo and I would doubt that there are many who do. I certainly don't hate him, nor do I dislike him. I just don't think he is a good enough HC to be running the Husker program.

Why because he doesn't bring an apple to the post game interview to give to the media after a loss? What would qualify him for being "good enough to be running the Husker program" in your eyes? Obviously being one of 7 coaches to have at least 9 wins in the past 4 seasons isn't enough. Raising the teams GPA to the highest it's ever been isn't enough. Gaining commitments from 4 and 5 star players without offering their father a paycheck, or mom a job or turning his back while children are being abused isn't enough. Or filling the dept chart with eligible players who aren't trading Husker gear and property for tatoos isn't enough. Or maybe not renting vehicles and hotels for players, family and friends isn't enough. Oh, making sure he doesn't oversign in any particular class so that we have to force someone's son out on the street without a schollie that they previously had isn't enough. Being a straight forward guy that is respected by HS coaches, parents, recruits, players, coaching staff, and coaching peers just isn't enough. I don't GFofA. If you aren't a fan of a HC with that on his resume, then please tell me what are you the Greatest Fan of.............

I for one, love a coach who can get wins, but also one who can do it the right way so that we don't end up sitting during the holidays watching our said coach on the sidelines of some other program because he took another job just before the NCAA came down with a bunch of sanctions against us.

I for one, love a coach who can get wins, but also one who can do it the right way so that we don't end up sitting during the holidays watching our said coach on the sidelines of some other program because he took another job just before the NCAA came down with a bunch of sanctions against us.
Agree!!!
You should know that your standards are way below THE greatest fan of all. If you were a better fan, you too could be unhappy with a coach who is trying to do things the right (aka Nebraska) way and get us 9 wins with a young team in a new conference with 12 new opponenets. But alas, I too am not the greatest fan of all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back