• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smothers

If Thompson is healthy, I will be shocked if he isn't the starter to open the season. Frost knows this year is his last chance. Even if the coaching staff thinks that Smothers or Purdy or Haarberg have the higher ceiling, Frost isn't going to allow an inexperienced QB to make rookie mistakes and learn on the fly. He is going to want to play the guy who is the closest to a finished product, and that is Thompson.
^^^ This ^^^

The coaching staff put together an excellent game plan for Smothers in the Iowa game. That and combined with Iowa having little idea what was coming at them almost got us a win. But it won't take long for opposing DCs to dissect Smother's "game" and take away his strengths and make him do those things that give him less chance to succeed.

If Thompson stays healthy and can make the quick reads and snap throws, he will lead us to our first winning season in 5 years. I am really, really looking forward to the 2022 football season with the offensive makeover of this football team

Last edited:
I’m hopeful that Smothers works with the staff and finds a spot as a slot receiver. We have dozens of examples of athletes who would’ve been better off in their potential long term future NFL career in spots other than QB.

I’m hopeful that Smothers works with the staff and finds a spot as a slot receiver. We have dozens of examples of athletes who would’ve been better off in their potential long term future NFL career in spots other than QB.
Smothers was #4 ranked duel QB out of high school Purdy was the #8 out of the same class. Why does Smothers need to move before he has a chance to complete for the starting job? He was a four year starter on an Alabama HS team. He’s more than capable of winning the starting or backup job this coming season. It’s going to be a battle and I’m sure the starting job wasn’t promised to anyone. There are FIVE scholarship QB’s on the roster and FOUR of them are 4 star recruits it’s too early to count anyone out. Not sure how many Big Ten schools will begin their season with this kind of talent and potential.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back