• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smothers

I'll always pull a little harder for the guy that's risen up the ranks rather than the mercenary from outside. Yeah, lets get the best guy on the field, I'm just hoping that guy is Smothers. Hopefully he's been using this time to his advantage and stepping into the leadership roles the team needs. I'm pulling for you buddy.

I'll always pull a little harder for the guy that's risen up the ranks rather than the mercenary from outside. Yeah, lets get the best guy on the field, I'm just hoping that guy is Smothers. Hopefully he's been using this time to his advantage and stepping into the leadership roles the team needs. I'm pulling for you buddy.
I am rooting for him. I’m just not confident the coaches feel he can do what they want. We shall see.

Smothers was picked by Harry Potter. Whipple wants his own guys. He picked them and they came. Thompson is the dude this year and next if he stays. Purdy is next up and the QB for the remaining 2-3 years. They both came here with that understanding. If you think there's going to be an actual "competition", well...ok. That's a nice thought.
Unfortunately for Torres he's stuck here for a year. He'll likely leave next year along with Smothers unless Thompson or Purdy suffer a career ending injury. Even then Whipple could turn to the portal again. It's just the way things work in this new world of Portals and NIL's.

Last edited:
With the additions of Thompson and Purdy I feel like we are forgetting about Logan. He played a pretty good game against a darn good Iowa defense, and it seems that he has the respect of the team. He chose to come here because he wanted to be a Husker, not because we were the best option.

He may not win the QB competition, but he's the guy I want to win.
Agree

I can see some plays for 2 QB's to be on the field.. much like Michigan did with their "athlete" some regular standard plays with some razzle dazzle.. Works if you have an accurate QB making plays in the game of course.. need that first..

I don’t think they would bring in two highly rated guys if they where confident in who they had. I assume they brought in these two guys with he expectation of them taking the job. My guess is Smothers transfers. I like him but he is not very accurate. Sometimes I wonder if you guys watch other football and see actual accurate quarterbacks. We haven’t had one in my lifetime.

Yep. It's very uncommon for a program to bring in two quarterbacks from the portal. You don't do that if you're confident you have a player anywhere near ready to start on the current roster.

I assume it will be an open competition this spring, but it would be a huge surprise is Smothers does any better than 3rd on the depth chart. I suppose he could win the #2 role, but I wonder how Purdy would react to that (I'd also be surprised if this happens -- but less so than #1).

The biggest surprise would be if Casey Thompson doesn't win the starting role -- at least to start the season. Whipple is likely going to be putting much more emphasis on passing than running for his QBs. And CT is simply a better passer to this point with more experience in both age and playing time.

I have always said I think he stays and competes. It what competitors do. Let's see what Whip can do with him. He can run the option and the spread it looks. Rahmir was buried and forgotten about too. In the end, it is best if we have a real competition and depth.

Last edited:
With the additions of Thompson and Purdy I feel like we are forgetting about Logan. He played a pretty good game against a darn good Iowa defense, and it seems that he has the respect of the team. He chose to come here because he wanted to be a Husker, not because we were the best option.

He may not win the QB competition, but he's the guy I want to win.
I like that he chose us first. I also think he has a lot of talent and can compete with those guys for the job.

Biggest thing for me, is I want whoever our starter is next year to have earned it. Don't want someone to be the de facto choice, just because they have played in a few games. No doubt that Smothers has wheels. He has a lot of growing left to do as a QB, but hopefully he can make the necessary improvements to beat the other two out.

Being a coaches son and the competitor that he is, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he stuck around to battle it out.

In the end, the kid needs to do what is best for him. I don't see him challenging Thompson, but you never know. I'd love to see him stick it out and help ramp up the competition in that room.

Like the kid a lot.

Yep. It's very uncommon for a program to bring in two quarterbacks from the portal. You don't do that if you're confident you have a player anywhere near ready to start on the current roster.

I assume it will be an open competition this spring, but it would be a huge surprise is Smothers does any better than 3rd on the depth chart. I suppose he could win the #2 role, but I wonder how Purdy would react to that (I'd also be surprised if this happens -- but less so than #1).

The biggest surprise would be if Casey Thompson doesn't win the starting role -- at least to start the season. Whipple is likely going to be putting much more emphasis on passing than running for his QBs. And CT is simply a better passer to this point with more experience in both age and playing time.
In college football, you need at least two competent guys at QB, so they had to bring at least one guy in. I do worry that we'll lose at least one of the three next year, because they realize they can't get on the field. However, I certainly wouldn't be turning away adding depth. I think adding two guys from the portal is more of an indictment on the rest of the QB room (excluding Smothers).

In college football, you need at least two competent guys at QB, so they had to bring at least one guy in. I do worry that we'll lose at least one of the three next year, because they realize they can't get on the field. However, I certainly wouldn't be turning away adding depth. I think adding two guys from the portal is more of an indictment on the rest of the QB room (excluding Smothers).

Indeed. There was no doubt we needed to bring a quarterback in.

But there's a big difference between bringing one more and two more. It's rare to see a team bring two QBs aboard from the portal.

Bring in one QB, and I'd say Smothers would have been much more in the mix than when we decided to bring two. Granted, no one knows for sure how this will shake out until the end of spring at the earliest.

Last edited:
Smothers is probably the best runner of the bunch. In the old days, you'd see a guy like that switch over to RB or maybe WR. In today's game, they usually transfer elsewhere. There were a few times we had both Adrian Martinez and Luke McCaffrey on the field as a sort of RB/WR/QB hybrid and it was pretty electric.

If Smothers isn't the guy, I'd love to see him get onto the field in situational play. There's absolutely opportunity to leverage a guy with his talents, especially if their heart is in it. Rex Burkhead was a high school QB who adapted in college. He wasn't the fastest or strongest RB, but he played with heart and wound up winning a Super Bowl as a running back for the Patriots.

A lot of young kids want to be the signal caller. But guys like Burkhead usually wind up having the better career as they're able to eat some humble pie and do whatever it takes to help the team win. I'm hoping Smothers can be that guy but I won't be surprised if he transfers (assuming other NU QBs surpass him).

Last edited:

Barring a couple injuries or being up 4 TDs late in the 4th, we'll never see Smothers on the field in a game again. Good guy, but just got buried on the depth chart.
I wouldn't count Smothers out. If he is given some good coaching we may see a very different QB.

I don’t think they would bring in two highly rated guys if they where confident in who they had. I assume they brought in these two guys with he expectation of them taking the job. My guess is Smothers transfers. I like him but he is not very accurate. Sometimes I wonder if you guys watch other football and see actual accurate quarterbacks. We haven’t had one in my lifetime.
On the other hand, we may have entered a time in history were one window shops every year, and if potential upgrades can be convinced to look this way, what coach says no?

Barring a couple injuries or being up 4 TDs late in the 4th, we'll never see Smothers on the field in a game again. Good guy, but just got buried on the depth chart.
A QB named Stetson Bennett just led GA to a NC. He not only was a walk on but transfered to the football powerhouse Jones Country Jr College AFTER his 1st year at GA. He's only 5'11" 190 lbs and certainly wasn't the prototype SEC QB to lead GA to their first NC in 41 years. He never gave up and never quit and finally realized his own personal dream this season. He shows what people can accomplish that refuse to give up.

I think anyone selling Smothers short on his football abilities is mistaken. I believe he'll become an excellent QB given time and good coaching. If he transfers some team will get a player that has some excellent skills combined with no quit.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back