• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smothers

yea I like the post from the first half where a certain AM hater commented on the Manning catch that was under thrown by 5 yards.

Poster said that would have never been a completion under AM. He might be right. The pass was so bad even the defender over ran it.
How it started today: “yea, Smothers is the real deal, I told you”

How it ended: “well we would have lost with AM as well so it doesn’t really matter”

He did well. Ran hard, was error free early. But the reports on his arm are absolutely accurate (per @ThrowFar60 ) and that is going to be a concern moving forward. Proud of his gutsiness and stepping in an adverse situation. But still lots of questions in that QB room, especially if AM is done.

dont disagree with any of that. Iowa isn’t the easiest matchup for your very first outing.

How it started today: “yea, Smothers is the real deal, I told you”

How it ended: “well we would have lost with AM as well so it doesn’t really matter”
Well really why does it matter smothers did the same thing am has done at end of games pee down his leg. Maybe your savior am will get that fixed this offseason or maybe he won’t come back and will forever be know as the four year loser.

Well really why does it matter smothers did the same thing am has done at end of games pee down his leg. Maybe your savior am will get that fixed this offseason or maybe he won’t come back and will forever be know as the four year loser.
And maybe your future posts won’t consist of gigantic run in sentences? But then again….we’ve been wishing for something different for the past 4 years, I won’t hold my breath.

And maybe your future posts won’t consist of gigantic run in sentences? But then again….we’ve been wishing for something different for the past 4 years, I won’t hold my breath.
Exactly I’ve been wishing your savior am would actually be as good as you guys suggest but that hasn’t happened.

Iowa has a ball hawking secondary and a good pass rush. It was too much to expect that a first time starting QB would be able to throw over the middle against them, but those safety valve passes into the flat just don't make much sense. There has to be a better solution.

As for Smothers, I don't see how anyone could have expected a first time starter to do much better against that defense. NU play calling fell off in the second half - I guess we ran out of ideas. It did make it hard for the offense, however.

He's probably not our answer, but given an option between him starting next year and AM returning and starting, I think I would probably go with this guy now that he has at least one game under his belt.

There's room for improvement. I think Smothers would be the first to admit he could have played better. It was his first college start at QB and the team had a short week (because of the Friday game) to prepare for a solid defense coached by a DC who knows a thing or 2 about how to create problems for the opposing offense. Still, Smothers had his moments where he made positive plays. It's disappointing there isn't another game next week (work with me here, lol), because I'd like to see how much better he (and the offense) would play in what would essentially be (for him) a Game 1 to Game 2 scenario. Even C.J. Stroud still had the "deer in the headlights" look at times while going through his progressions against Oregon (Game #2) -- and he's got a very good OL pass protecting. With the additional game reps, Stroud has improved quite a bit.

Nebraska had to play a clean game to have any chance at beating Iowa. The Hawkeyes just don't beat themselves (insert your own punch line if you must). Unfortunately, the Huskers made too many mistakes and missed out on a few opportunities (interceptions that could have stopped Iowa from FGs). True to form, Nebraska played like it had in 8 other losses this season and came up short in another 1 possession game. Husker fans should be disappointed / disgusted / disheartened / dissatisfied by how this season played out. The team's record should have been much better than 3-9.

I don't put any stock into what Lars says. Dude is a goof.

That said, we probably saw today why Bama didn't recruit him.
I’m a HUGE AM over Smothers believer, but we failed Smothers today, he didn’t fail us.

No reason why we he and the rest of our QB’s haven’t progressed other than Verduzco being in over his head. Here’s to hoping the next QB coach does the job.

I’m a HUGE AM over Smothers believer, but we failed Smothers today, he didn’t fail us.

No reason why we he and the rest of our QB’s haven’t progressed other than Verduzco being in over his head. Here’s to hoping the next QB coach does the job.

I think we already have our coaches for next year.

Scott will keep the interim guys.

He will be the OC next year also.

Wait and see.

I think Smothers played very well. The safety was because of a bad play call (that one and the one before...just get some room away from the goal line!). The fumble was a bad fake hand-off between two guys that have hardly played in the backfield all year. The second half overall performance for him was because we got away from what we were doing well in the first half (how many flair passes to someone in the flat five yards behind the line of scrimmage must we call?). The final interception? No idea what happened there...it must have been some kind of miscommunication. But hey...it's down to the wire and you've never been in this situation before...a mistake like that will happen. I think he played very well!

Thanks for having me.

Smothers doesn't have the arm to be a threat in the B1G. He's fast. Throws a bit better than McCaffrey did. But he's another shot-putter with limited velocity and range and an new OC won't hang his hat on Smothers, IMHO.

Another good kid who's done his time and is at the mercy of the play calls and the line. But I seriously doubt Smothers is the starter next year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back