• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoooooookin'

FeelLikeAStranger

How are ya now?
20 Year Member
beef ribs, brisket, 2 big pork chops and a whole chicken are on the smoker! Happy 4th weekend to everyone!!:usflag::cheers:

enhanced-buzz-8635-1370488029-9.jpg

Beef ribs are still difficult. They looked great and the rub was good, but I need to follow Mixon's book more closely next time...too tough and chewy. Might need to make soup out of them, otherwise the dogs eat well today.

first attempt at brisket...it came out better than the ribs. Not perfect, but it will do for now. More experience needed. Pork chops will be for dinner tonight....I'm sure they are awesome, along with the chicken.

Beef ribs are still difficult. They looked great and the rub was good, but I need to follow Mixon's book more closely next time...too tough and chewy. Might need to make soup out of them, otherwise the dogs eat well today.

first attempt at brisket...it came out better than the ribs. Not perfect, but it will do for now. More experience needed. Pork chops will be for dinner tonight....I'm sure they are awesome, along with the chicken.

I struggle with ribs for some reason. I need to keep practicing.

On ribs, remove as much fat and silver skin as you can and then use indirect heat LOW and SLOW. Don't go over 225. When they hit 135-140, pull 'em, wrap in foil and put in a cooler and wrap in a couple of towels for about an hour.

On ribs, remove as much fat and silver skin as you can and then use indirect heat LOW and SLOW. Don't go over 225. When they hit 135-140, pull 'em, wrap in foil and put in a cooler and wrap in a couple of towels for about an hour.

I do almost the opposite. For the first hour I cook em hot 350• then I turn it down low 180• and cook all day. I only use a dry rub which I apply to the ribs after pulling from the fridge. I always let anything I smoke get to room temp before cooking, this helps the meat not get chewy. Before I throw them in I'll hit it with some more rub:drool:

In the market for a smoker.... Treager???
first time here, never think about it, but Treager are the walmart of smokers, cheap, green mountain is or was better, some friends of mine says the new green mountain is lighter built, probly for manufacturing reasons to keep cost down, there is a Louisiana pellet grill out there, I know nothing about, guess im a fan of charcoal and wood, but you have to baby sit it, pellet smokers you don't, but they only work if you keep the fire box and auger super clean,

pork needs to reach 165 internal temp to eat. are you saying that the meat will continue to cook to that minimum temp in a faux wrap in about an hour? I smoke pork buts to 195 to 200 before they are fit to be pulled. Ribs usually get pulled at 190. I would think that pork ribs pulled at 165 much less 140 would be tough as hell? please enlighten. edit: never mind, you were probably talking about beef ribs, my bad. :Biggrin:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back