• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked Turkey Breast

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
Got a turkey breast that I'd like to smoke this weekend, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas for me. My brisket and pork butts have been successful, so I thought I'd give the turkey a try.

Thoughts?

Virtual Weber Bullet is a good resource.

This recipe seems simple and looks good, though I haven't tried it.

I saw that site. This is the rub recipe they have listed:
Cinnamon/Cumin Rub For Poultry
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup garlic salt
1/4 cup celery salt
1/4 cup paprika
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

Anyone ever try this or something similar?

I can't help you with how to do the smoking, as I don't have a smoker. That said, our closest friends (also Husker fans) do a ton of smoking. He gets these chicken sausages from Costco (they are about the size of Bratwurst) and smokes them, and they are absolutely outstanding. They make a great contrast to some of the drier smoked meats like turkey.

I can't help you with how to do the smoking, as I don't have a smoker. That said, our closest friends (also Husker fans) do a ton of smoking. He gets these chicken sausages from Costco (they are about the size of Bratwurst) and smokes them, and they are absolutely outstanding. They make a great contrast to some of the drier smoked meats like turkey.

I love sausages (I know I'm leaving myself open).

I'm really hoping that this turkey breast stays moist. I'm trying to decide if I should brine it, use an injectable marinade, or both.

I'm really hoping that this turkey breast stays moist. I'm trying to decide if I should brine it, use an injectable marinade, or both.

I've brined an entire turkey before roasting it, and it was the best turkey I've ever made. I wouldn't do both though, that sounds like overkill.

I'd brine it. Don't use a self-basting turkey if you do.

I saw that site. This is the rub recipe they have listed:

Anyone ever try this or something similar?
I've had something pretty similar and works well. However, with turkey, I wouldn't worry about the rub that much. For turkey I have used a dry rub version in the cavity then add olive oil to some of the recipe and made a wet rub for the rest. I've pulled back the skin and placed the rub directly on the meat and pinned the skin back to the bird.

However, I found it to be better to just leave the skin on and let the smoke do most of the flavor. Last time I simply rubbed olive oil and no spice rub and used hickory and I think it turned out better with less effort.

The best thing I can say is brine, brine, brine, brine, brine, and brine. Don't bother smoking if you don't as it will not stay moist. Use pickling or kosher salt as regular salt is too salty. You can do just salt and water or mix in juice and some brown sugar as well (boil first is better but I've done without). After the brine, rinse well and let the bird rest on a platter for at least an hour or two. I would not inject.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips! The bird is brining as we speak. I included some apple juice on a tip from another guy. Will not inject, and using apple wood to smoke it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I smoked (2) 3lb butterball boneless breasts for thanksgiving and they turned out perfect. I rubbed with mayo applied a pepper based rub and its was as good as any turkey i have ever tasted.

Last edited:

also try injecting the turkey...

1/2 pound butter
1/2 can beer
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2[ tablespoons Tabasco
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder

If you want a little bite use cyan pepper as well and a pinch and I do mean a pinch of ghost pepper.

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over a low heat. Stir and heat until salt is dissolved and the sauce is even and runny. Keep warm (but not hot) to inject.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back