• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked rump roast

NU_Alum

Husker Fan
5 Year Member
We bought a side of beef a bit back so I have lots of meat to cook and eat. I pulled out a rump roast and decided to see if I could smoke it like a prime rib. Turns out, it's really really good.

I put a garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, S&P and cayenne rub on it the day before and injected it with a merlot I had on hand.

Smoked it the next day over hickory wood, brought it up to 125'ish, let it rest covered for half hour and sliced it thin. It was really good and given the price difference between a rump roast and a prime rib, easily worth for a regular weekend meal.

My only complaint was the wine left "stains" on the inside. I'll have to figure out a substitute for the straight wine injection. The stained portions tasted just like merlot (which is fine for me but the wife/kids weren't huge fans). Thankfully there wasn't too much staining so cutting around it was easy enough.

Unless you want a different injection...With beef I always go with a beef broth and then add to the broth what you would like. Should take care of your problem and add even more beef taste to it

Unless you want a different injection...With beef I always go with a beef broth and then add to the broth what you would like. Should take care of your problem and add even more beef taste to it

Can I put wine in that as well? I loved the wine flavor, just want to avoid the staining.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back