• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Slow Cooker Baked Beans

4evrHusker

All Big 10
15 Year Member
I thought I would share my latest version of homemade baked beans. They came out phenomenal.

Ingredients </SPAN></SPAN>
1 pound dry great Northern beans </SPAN></SPAN>
6 cups water</SPAN></SPAN>
1 package of smoked ham hocks</SPAN></SPAN>
1 pound bacon</SPAN></SPAN>
1 cup chopped onion </SPAN></SPAN>
1 pound spicy ground sausage</SPAN></SPAN>
1/2 cup molasses </SPAN></SPAN>
1/3 cup packed brown sugar </SPAN></SPAN>
1 teaspoon dry mustard </SPAN></SPAN>
1 tablespoon ground black pepper</SPAN></SPAN>
1 tablespoon kosher salt</SPAN></SPAN>

Directions</SPAN></SPAN>

1. The night before, combine the Great Northern Beans and water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Pour beans and their liquid into a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
  2. Cook bacon in skillet, draining on paper towels.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>
  3. Cock spicy ground sausage in skillet, draining on paper towels.</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>
  4. In the morning, drain liquid off of the Great Northern Beans, reserving 1 cup. Pour beans and the reserved liquid into the crock of a slow cooker, add about one additional cup of fresh water. Stir in the bacon, sausage, onion, smoked ham hocks, molasses, brown sugar, mustard and pepper. Cover, and cook on Low for 12 to 14 hours. Stir before serving. Remove ham hocks in last hour, remove meat from hocks, and put meat back in slow cooker.

What are the odds? My dad just gave me a big package of ham hocks and I was wondering what to do with them . . . problem solved! Thanks!

How much would you say the hocks you used weighed?

What are the odds? My dad just gave me a big package of ham hocks and I was wondering what to do with them . . . problem solved! Thanks!

How much would you say the hocks you used weighed?

I used one package of them, probably 3 hocks, maybe 3-4 pounds.

IMAG0456.jpg

My wife's not a beans fan, so I haven't made this yet, but my mouth is watering hearing about it. I have the recipe on my fridge, though, and plan to just as soon as we have some company over (hopefully soon).

Have you ever made this and then frozen it - wondering about the beans turning into mush . . . or do they anyway with the cook time? I'd like to make a batch and then freeze it in smaller parts so I can take them out and have them as a side multiple times.

I have not frozen it. It usually doesn't last more than a few days in the fridge, at least in my house.... :Biggrin: :Biggrin: :Biggrin:

Thanks 4evrHusker for sharing your recipe, looks and sounds delicious, will be trying it soon.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back