• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Situation at Running Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rex? Really? He makes good cuts to the hole, but he doesn't hesitate to put his head down and bull forward when necessary.

Agree...witness him literally attack the defensive back on his long run Saturday. Rex isn't much of a threat to break one 80 yards on most teams. Tough as nails though!

I'll take 8 runs of 10 yards any day, though.

No doubt. And the attitude he showed is just as important. At that point in the game he just seemed pissed...it was like he went looking for a DB to not just hit but beat up (surprised he didn't get called for a facemask). I wish the other 10 guys on offense would have been equally ticked.

No doubt. And the attitude he showed is just as important. At that point in the game he just seemed pissed...it was like he went looking for a DB to not just hit but beat up (surprised he didn't get called for a facemask). I wish the other 10 guys on offense would have been equally ticked.

I thought so too. He's really aggressive at the point of contact. Gets me fired up. I think the next couple of years he will be a major leader on offense.

Although I hope I am wrong, I think the JUCO route is most likely for Heard at this point. Hopefully he still likes what he sees from Nebraska in a couple of years, if that's how it plays out.

From what I read, Green should get immediate playing time. But Rex and Green both seem more like finesse backs. I'd like to see us get a bruiser, regardless of where he comes from.

Rex is not finese, he is a pinball bouncing off players and getting extra yards. He is a pet bull to me as he goes looking to hit someone.

I got that vibe from him also. It would be nice if he put on a few more pounds in the offseason, similar to what Helu did going into his Jr year. Rex is a NU running back through and through. Green seems to give us that home run threat that Helu provides us with. I hope he develops pretty quick and becomes effective early.

Perhaps finesse wasn't the right word. Allow me to explain..

When I think of Rex's running? I don't think 3rd and short running back who is so heavy that he can power through a line. I think of a guy who makes the quick first step(s) to accelerate to the line and make pinpoint cuts. Rex is excellent at moving up a seam, and I think that's how him and Green should be used. There is absolutely no doubt that Rex is a punishing runner--he's a head hunter! I would hate to be a DB trying to wrap him up. But I just think he excels so much as a cutback and outside runner that I have trouble labeling him... Well, anything other than an agility type runner quite frankly.

It's not that he doesn't run hard or anything bologna like that--It's that he does so well at cutbacks, quick steps, and other things that characterize him as more of an agile back in my mind.

Last edited:
Hate to keep cotradicting you Born but...

Ever notice who seems to get most of the 3rd and short carries? Personally, I despise the idea of a "short yardage back". First of all all you are doing is tipping your hand. Secondly, the perception is that of a "thumper" or a big guy. We've had a few of those since Callahan was around and it always seemed that, while they looked the part, they never actually seem to pick up that one yard. Castille comes to mind. Some thought/think Trey Robinson will be that guy. I don't recall NU ever having a better third down option than they option they used on 1st and 2nd down prior to BC.

That said I don't think Rex needs to add any weight. He almost never seems to be denied that extra yard that he needs unless he's simply over-matched. Always going forward on the way down. Decisive. That's more important than a few more lbs when it comes to getting that 3rd and 2. my 0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back