• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Situation at Running Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retired Husker Corpsmen

Recruit
5 Year Member
While i was watching the game i got to be wondering about next year at the running back position since Helu will be gone leaving only Burkhead as the returning back with any playing time since nothing behind him has really stepped up and only Green is coming in so far so my questions are these.

1. Will we go after a juco back for this class since im sure most good high school backs are off the board

2. How many backs will we take next year and any idea who we are looking at for 2012

3. Does Braylon ever get to Lincoln if he has to go the Juco route

I would also love to say thanks to Red Reign Hio Flas and Nfler for all your hard work in keeping most guys like me informed about recruiting. I know you guys put in alot of time and hard work in this and is why this is the best site for husker info many thanks guys GBR

We could use Heard but he will still be a freshman so its looking thin. If Martinez is healthy that will be a nice 1-2 with Burkhead...but if we have injuries it could be a rough opening season in the Big X.

We could really use Heard, hope he qualifies. Otherwise the other RB's will have to make large improvements. I would not be opposed to taking a good juco RB just in case. Not sure the staff will though.

At this point, I don't think we can count on Heard being a part of the program. I would not be surprised if they went after a Juco running back.

Although I hope I am wrong, I think the JUCO route is most likely for Heard at this point. Hopefully he still likes what he sees from Nebraska in a couple of years, if that's how it plays out.

From what I read, Green should get immediate playing time. But Rex and Green both seem more like finesse backs. I'd like to see us get a bruiser, regardless of where he comes from.

Yeah, we are coming up a bit thin for next year behind Super-Rex with Braylon Heard being a question mark. Remember that we really did not recruit Braylon until very late in the process anyway as the coaches felt pretty good at RB over the long haul. Of course, so much was riding on Aaron Green. It is obvious he will get plenty of opportunities to see the field as a Frosh. So will Heard for that matter if he gets here.

Obviously, Tray Robinson has had a disappointing season. He has struggled with the zone read and ball security. He just looks timid to me. He hasn't looked the same since his Iowa State fumble if you ask me. He needs to be our thumper next year but we may need to line him up in the I formation (which suits me just fine) rather than try using him with the zone read. Too early to give up on him.

I still think Lester Ward can be servicable and so can Austin Jones. Not that you would want to go to war with these guys as your main weapons, but as depth-quality reserves, they are not bad. I have not heard good things regarding Okafor.

Another guy to keep your eye on is C.J. Zimmerer. He could be a guy who gets some carries out of the FB position and it wouldn't surprise me if they used him as the deep back if injuries are a factor.

If we start hearing about a JUCO RB, that may tell us whatever we need to know about Heard without having to hear what his latest test scores are.

I liked what I saw from Jones earlier this season. Wasn't a whole lot to see, but I seem to recall (personally) favoring him over Trey a great deal earlier this season.

Ditto that BTBR. Haven't seen him much since, but we haven't had to many blowouts lately either.

Another guy to keep your eye on is C.J. Zimmerer. He could be a guy who gets some carries out of the FB position and it wouldn't surprise me if they used him as the deep back if injuries are a factor.

But that would require us to start using the fullback, which we sure haven seen much of this year......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back