• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sipple scrawls about culture issues in Riley's program. Defers opinion until the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should go well. Ok. Not debating the merits of whether is should or shouldn't be legal, whether everyone does it or not, honestly it is no different than say, stealing a bike. Illegal punish him and move on. As far as the culture issue, I do feel there is some pause for concern. Riley is a west coast guy and maybe pretty laid back, doesn't let a lot bother him, but I have no clue how he is behind the scenes so I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Kids get in trouble everywhere I understand that, but athletes are held to a higher standard, don't be stupid and illegal is illegal.

This should go well. Ok. Not debating the merits of whether is should or shouldn't be legal, whether everyone does it or not, honestly it is no different than say, stealing a bike. Illegal punish him and move on. As far as the culture issue, I do feel there is some pause for concern. Riley is a west coast guy and maybe pretty laid back, doesn't let a lot bother him, but I have no clue how he is behind the scenes so I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt. Kids get in trouble everywhere I understand that, but athletes are held to a higher standard, don't be stupid and illegal is illegal.
# of posts prior to RR shutting this down. I say 100.

I would guess the 'culture' will improve when the passes become more catchable and if the team has more success. But, it's tough to forgive that sad sack coaching staff Riley brought on in Year 1. That brought along a bunch of needless drama. Not to mention is Coach Triple DUI really going to mentor his position drug offenders? It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.

Last edited:

Riley's football players get caught with weed and get suspended and it's a culture issue? Players for previous coach fail drug tests and still get to play, not a culture issue? Gerry being suspended for not being accountable for his grades not once but twice is an indication of poor culture and lack of accountability?

Slow Monday...

I would guess the 'culture' will improve when the passes become more catchable and if the team has more success. But, it's tough to forgive that sad sack coaching staff Riley brought on in Year 1. That brought along a bunch of needless drama. Not to mention is Coach Triple DUI really going to mentor his position drug offenders? It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.
yahoo-locals.gif

Riley's football players get caught with weed and get suspended and it's a culture issue? Players for previous coach fail drug tests and still get to play, not a culture issue? Gerry being suspended for not being accountable for his grades not once but twice is an indication of poor culture and lack of accountability?

Slow Monday...
Exactly on target..... :nod:

Slow Monday...

What else we going to talk about, decommits?

If there are any issues, I hope the coaching staff and the players can work together to iron things out, make sure everyone knows what is expected and what the consequences are. Playing football needs to be a priority for these kids, fair or not, that is why they are here. 85 of them chose to take a scholarship to play football and get an education (hopefully have some 'legal' fun while they are at it). Things can spiral out of control quickly if things are curtailed quickly and expectations explained, and what the ramifications are, then stick to it. While I might be a bit nervous, I think things will be ok.

What else we going to talk about, decommits?

If there are any issues, I hope the coaching staff and the players can work together to iron things out, make sure everyone knows what is expected and what the consequences are. Playing football needs to be a priority for these kids, fair or not, that is why they are here. 85 of them chose to take a scholarship to play football and get an education (hopefully have some 'legal' fun while they are at it). Things can spiral out of control quickly if things are curtailed quickly and expectations explained, and what the ramifications are, then stick to it. While I might be a bit nervous, I think things will be ok.
We could talk about decommits and their replacements we have in the pipeline, we could talk about current commits, multiple options.

Everyone on the team for sure knows that marijuana results in suspension (depending on ticket received). It was a cocaine issue under Callahan, a marijuana issue under Bo, a marijuana issue under Riley. That is no fault of any coach, and the culture issue is with America. That is not an indication that I think marijuana is good/bad/indifferent for the body. What I am stating is that marijuana use has become common place and wide-spread in this country, and in the NCAA and on football teams it becomes news. 100+ kids get ticketed every year for possession of it on UNLs campus, it's what they do now. If it was crystal meth i'd be concerned.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back