• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

SIMPLE Roasted Chicken

ChitownHusker

Husker Fan
10 Year Member
I made this last night. It was unbelievably simple, and it was so much better than the rotisserie chickens you get from the grocery store that words are difficult to express it. It just goes to show you that good food does not have to be complicated. If this is good enough for the chef of the French Laundry it should be good enough for Sunday night at my house.

1 3-5 pound chicken, trussed with butcher's twine (see the youtube video). Also, remove the wishbone prior to cooking to make carving easier.
Salt and pepper liberally sprinkled in the cavity and on the skin.
As a deviation from Keller's recipe, I also put a couple garlic cloves in the cavity, and garlic powder on the skin.

Roast chicken in a saute pan in the oven at 450 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes.

Remove from oven and set chicken on a cutting board. Mix 2 tbsp butter with the pan drippings and then baste on the chicken. Allow chicken to rest 15 minutes. Carve and serve.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EWLt6G85zC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chitown check out this book if you do not already own it.

The following is a brine found inside which is outstanding for chicken. If you have the time, allow the bird to dry out uncovered in the fridge for a day or two (obviously after the brine)...will crisp up the skin when cooking if you are into that.

This is for 2 gallons (1 gallon will be plenty for single bird, depending on your brine vehicle two birds can be covered. I also use this with great success on chicken quarters.)

5 lemons halved
25 bay leaves (I never use this much, half dozen to a dozen)
1 bunch parsley (flat leaf)
1 bunch thyme
1/2 cup clover honey (I use local honey on hand)
1 head garlic halved through equator
1/4 cup black peppercorns (crushed)
2 cups kosher salt (I back off of this, 1/2 to 3/4 cup per gallon)
2 gallons water

Normal brine procedure, make sure salt and honey is dissolved, cool down and toss bird in for up to 12 hours, rinse and dry off.

Chitown check out this book if you do not already own it.

The following is a brine found inside which is outstanding for chicken. If you have the time, allow the bird to dry out uncovered in the fridge for a day or two (obviously after the brine)...will crisp up the skin when cooking if you are into that.

This is for 2 gallons (1 gallon will be plenty for single bird, depending on your brine vehicle two birds can be covered. I also use this with great success on chicken quarters.)

5 lemons halved
25 bay leaves (I never use this much, half dozen to a dozen)
1 bunch parsley (flat leaf)
1 bunch thyme
1/2 cup clover honey (I use local honey on hand)
1 head garlic halved through equator
1/4 cup black peppercorns (crushed)
2 cups kosher salt (I back off of this, 1/2 to 3/4 cup per gallon)
2 gallons water

Normal brine procedure, make sure salt and honey is dissolved, cool down and toss bird in for up to 12 hours, rinse and dry off.

For my 40th birthday my wife and I are going to Napa Valley in March. It will be the second time in 11 years that we have gotten away sans children. On the day of my birthday we will actually be eating at Ad Hoc. I understand that this will be "Fried Chicken night." I've heard from numerous sources that it's simply the best fried chicken that you can get at any restaurant anywhere in the country.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back