• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sick of losing, but...

I don't care if 2AM was 90%. Watching the game tells a different story. He looks like a deer in the headlights when he drops back. The negative plays kill us. I'm not saying that LM played any better though, and that is frustrating. For all of this staff's offensive pedigree, they do not seem to be able to develop QBs (yet), which is baffling.
That's interesting... we're definitely seeing some different things. I think Martinez generally looks pretty calm in the pocket. When things break down he gets uncomfortable, but I think that's true of most players. Prior to the final offensive play, Martinez had been sacked once for 10 yards and had one 1-yard loss as his only negative rushing plays. The 10 yard sack was on the first drive and was caused by the bad snap.

I don't care if 2AM was 90%. Watching the game tells a different story. He looks like a deer in the headlights when he drops back. The negative plays kill us. I'm not saying that LM played any better though, and that is frustrating. For all of this staff's offensive pedigree, they do not seem to be able to develop QBs (yet), which is baffling.
AM had all day at times AND missed wide open receivers. He really could be a good if not great QB, if he had the ability to see the entire field and move beyond the primary receiver.

That's interesting... we're definitely seeing some different things. I think Martinez generally looks pretty calm in the pocket. When things break down he gets uncomfortable, but I think that's true of most players. Prior to the final offensive play, Martinez had been sacked once for 10 yards and had one 1-yard loss as his only negative rushing plays. The 10 yard sack was on the first drive and was caused by the bad snap.
They gave him a pocket today. My relatives who don’t follow Nebraska were pointing out all the open receivers that AM was not throwing to after holding the ball for 7+ seconds each drop back.

AM had all day at times AND missed wide open receivers. He really could be a good if not great QB, if he had the ability to see the entire field and move beyond the primary receiver.
I'm not sure how you can say that given the TV camera shots. Maybe you could show us 3 or 4 of those plays where he had all day and missed wide open receivers?

They gave him a pocket today. My relatives who don’t follow Nebraska were pointing out all the open receivers that AM was not throwing to after holding the ball for 7+ seconds each drop back.
Same question to you... can you show me some of those plays and explain the progressions and how he should have read the defense differently?

Just tired of being a bad football team. I don't want to see a coaching change at this point but haven't seen the progress that I was hoping to see. 2AM is the QB and we need to find ways to get LM on the field with him. Please utilize him the way we did the first drive of the season.

Last edited:
I think he is gun shy. He is afraid of making a mistake and throwing an interception. Based on past mistakes and getting benched, I think he is very unsure of his ability to get the ball to anyone other than a wide open receiver. He lacks confidence. His past decisions and mistakes are still haunting him.

I can't believe my luck, convinced myself that we would pull this one out only to have my hopes dashed.... then I walked outside to scream and I got hit in the head with a leftover dinner roll. From the arc it appeared that someone threw it a country mile... find that guy and sign him up!!

I'm not sure how you can say that given the TV camera shots. Maybe you could show us 3 or 4 of those plays where he had all day and missed wide open receivers?
They showed a shot of Austin Allen breaking wide open around 20 yards deep on a play AM pulled it down and got dropped at the LOS. I know it's a lot more difficult than we arm chair QBs will ever know, but some special QBs are able to make it happen.

Same question to you... can you show me some of those plays and explain the progressions and how he should have read the defense differently?
Do I need to? Are you seriously defending the QBs at Nebraska as adequate in their ability to read defenses and find open receivers? I’m not saying that cost NU the game, hill. Not at all. AM had a good game for NU today. But these kids aren’t great passers.

Last edited:
Typically rotating QBs is a recipe for failure, but I think Iowa's defense was thrown off a bit by it. Kind of like throwing a change up in baseball. Something we might want to consider revisiting.

Typically rotating QBs is a recipe for failure, but I think Iowa's defense was thrown off a bit by it. Kind of like throwing a change up in baseball. Something we might want to consider revisiting.

That wouldn't matter against good teams. But I don’t think it’s a strategy as much as it is “oh well, why not” with this staff. No rhyme or reason to be found with most things we do.

Do I need to? Are you seriously defending the QBs at Nebraska as adequate in their ability to read defenses and find open receivers?
Martinez has completed over 62% of his passes during his career, and completed 90% today against a team that came into the game 6th in the nation in pass efficiency defense. So if you're going to come in hot and say that he didn't get it done today, it would be good to show your work. Or you can admit you're frustrated and just needed a scapegoat, and Martinez seemed like the easy target for you.

Martinez has completed over 62% of his passes during his career, and completed 90% today against a team that came into the game 6th in the nation in pass efficiency defense. So if you're going to come in hot and say that he didn't get it done today, it would be good to show your work. Or you can admit you're frustrated and just needed a scapegoat, and Martinez seemed like the easy target for you.
I agree - I wasn’t calling him out as the scapegoat. I was responding to a post that was specific to the QB. I thought the whole team showed up today, and yet mistakes lost them the game. That said, I think he doesn’t see the field well enough to be a great QB. I don’t think there’s evidence to support otherwise.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back