• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sick of losing, but...

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
I'm sick of losing football games. Maybe it gets easier for some fans, but I hate it every time. And I mean HATE it.

Overall, the Huskers played well today. There were some mistakes, but for the most part we did most things reasonably well against a ranked opponent.

Iowa had averaged 33 ppg this season, but managed just 26 against the Huskers.

The Hawkeyes had given up just 16 ppg this season, good for 9th in the country. We scored 20.

Our defense gave up just 322 yards, including just 129 yards rushing.

Martinez completed 18 of 20 passes... 90%!!!

But there were bad things, too. Snaps really need to get fixed. Despite limiting Iowa's rushing yards, we allow runners to drag our defenders after contact, and we still need to wrap up better... especially some guys in the secondary.

We still haven't figured out much of a rushing game on offense. I have to think that Mills' absence is a part of that, but we're doing some ugly things along the line. At times it looks like laziness... feet aren't moving well, and guys are lunging. We don't pressure QBs enough, which might be ok if we weren't playing so loose on the back end.

Anyway, I think it's ok to recognize both the good and the bad. And to maybe not continuously call for firings.

Yeah, I said in the game thread that they need to pull Jurgens for the rest of the year and teach him to play guard. What's frustrating is that it's mental rather than physical for him. I'm not sure how to fix it at this point.
I don't think you can. That's ok, it's nothing personal and not anybody's fault. Something between his head and his hands doesn't work properly when he needs to make the snap... no need to continue putting the kid in a position where he can't succeed.

Maybe Cameron's problem is trying to evaluate the DL and make the call, ALONG with concentrating on delivering a catchable snap?

The snap should be second nature by this time.
Exactly, it should be muscle memory, effortless.

Again, not his fault, it's just not a transition he can make. Plenty of people have transitioned from one role where they're very successful only to flounder in a new role. Not a big deal. Let's move him somewhere else, and we'll all benefit from thee move.

I hate losing too... after the final turnover, walked by the set table, continued outside & threw a leftover dinner roll a country mile... Frustrating :Mad:

Oh... & I agree wholeheartedly with everything in your post.

Last edited:
I don't care if 2AM was 90%. Watching the game tells a different story. He looks like a deer in the headlights when he drops back. The negative plays kill us. I'm not saying that LM played any better though, and that is frustrating. For all of this staff's offensive pedigree, they do not seem to be able to develop QBs (yet), which is baffling.

Then what is your opinion on the problem?

Force feeding a player playing out of position?
Like I said, there's a mental thing going on. I had a player with the same problem. We ran mostly under center, but we'd go shotgun occasionally. He was money in practice, and his FG and punt long snaps were phenomenal. For some reason, he couldn't execute shotgun snaps in games. We tried everything we could think of, but how do you correct something that's not a problem during the week? We ended up simply abandoning the gun... we didn't need it, and my roster was about 26 players, so options were limited. Abandoning the shotgun obviously isn't really an option for Nebraska, so I guess you move him to another position, or continue accepting a couple screw ups every week.

Like I said, there's a mental thing going on. I had a player with the same problem. We ran mostly under center, but we'd go shotgun occasionally. He was money in practice, and his FG and punt long snaps were phenomenal. For some reason, he couldn't execute shotgun snaps in games. We tried everything we could think of, but how do you correct something that's not a problem during the week? We ended up simply abandoning the gun... we didn't need it, and my roster was about 26 players, so options were limited. Abandoning the shotgun obviously isn't really an option for Nebraska, so I guess you move him to another position, or continue accepting a couple screw ups every week.
You just can't accept that two drives each game will be killed by bad snaps. He has to move.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back