• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Shouldn't Nebraska Demolish Memorial Stadium?

The only places you could move it for 2 years is out of state. Bad look. Better off keep it open and build where the recreation fields are. Then when the new one opens tear it down and rebuild the rec fields once the new stadium is built.
All the facilities kinda flow into the stadium, so that’s not really an option I don’t think.

Need to build UNL golf course. Lot of schools already got it (campus golf courses)

Vacant land ...

sY24Sw4.png

Anything away from the Haymarket and railyard is not an option. Business in downtown thrive on those saturdays. Can't imagine they would be ok with the stadium not in walking distance.

Anything away from the Haymarket and railyard is not an option. Business in downtown thrive on those saturdays. Can't imagine they would be ok with the stadium not in walking distance.
And as @Husker In Oklahoma notes, all the practice and related athletic fields flow to the current stadium — and have cost tens of millions of recent dollars. There is no room to build that I can see in the immediate area, and no alternative short term stadium to play in during a demolition, so piecemeal improvements are all I see as possible. It is unclear to me from an engineering standpoint how much seating, access, and amenities improvements are possible— assuming a few hundred million dollars could be raised for the endeavor.

And as @Husker In Oklahoma notes, all the practice and related athletic fields flow to the current stadium — and have cost tens of millions of recent dollars. There is no room to build that I can see in the immediate area, and no alternative short term stadium to play in during a demolition, so piecemeal improvements are all I see as possible. It is unclear to me from an engineering standpoint how much seating, access, and amenities improvements are possible— assuming a few hundred million dollars could be raised for the endeavor.
Since UNL already own the land, it needs to be done on its current site. That’s usually 30-40% the cost anyway, land. It’s not going to happen anyway, but if it were, you’d just have to play a few more road games, and maybe rent out Arrowhead for a few home games. I’m sure the conference would work with NU on this, should they ever decide it needs to be done. If you look around the country, there are a bunch of teams with really old stadiums, most in fact, so in the future, you’ll see more of this I’d guess. May as well be one of the first.

Last edited:
I disagree. Use your imagination. I see space in the parking areas around Haymarket Park. And if you had all kinds of cash and wanted to do it correctly you could embark on a 10 year project that involved moving Haymarket Park to another location (Say, East of the Devaney Center) and building a new football stadium on the Haymarket Location with lots of near stadium parking for tailgating.

Alternatively, you could build the new football stadium in the parking areas around Haymarket Park, then demolish Memorial Stadium and build a new baseball facility at that location and turn the current baseball facility into near football stadium parking.

Of course, I have no idea what either of those options would cost. All I am is an amateur urban planner/architect/engineer looking at Google Earth and using my very fertile imagination.

One of the coolest things in all of College Football is that Memorial Stadium is a relatively modern stadium, yet when you go up the escalator you are touching the old stadium. No one can say that in college football. Dont mess with the stadium.

I’m a big NO on this. I have nightmares in regards to the future of Nebraska football as it is let alone with a half billion dollar investment weighing on its every win/lose. Yes this state supports the program like no other (sell out @ 382?) but reality is that Nebraska football has been good under 2 coaches covering most of that span and lousy for the rest of it.
Think of Iowa state and Kansas pouring money into their programs as they giggled so subtly at nebraska after siding with every thing texas at the formation of the B12, only to be left in what! what! what! mode as they now scramble for a home (conference) and income (tv deal) to support their lavish new cathedrals (at least for mountain west/big sky/big12 standards)

all this is aside from all the other alarming issues that would face such an investment. the world is a time bomb, football is under attach from a large faction of society that would love to see it go away, financial ramifications at the lower levels (high school/ middle school) of the sport. are public schools going to be able to continue funding football as they are essentially pushed to eliminate female sports for more "neutral" activities like drag queen dancing? there's waning interest from youth in this state, let alone across the country. sure your kids are husker fans, but are they going to spend every saturday built around trips to lincoln to watch a program that is less likely to be great than below average? you can't get them away from their iPhone at the games as it is now. when its their money that they're spending????

using the 'Vault' for other money making endeavors seems much more likely than a more expensive and less fundable football stadium. yes, another garth brooks show is doable. but is it really a big enough difference from having multiple shows at the PBA/CHI? when they demo'd rosenblatt for the new downtown stadium in omaha they had long term contract to host CWS and a clear if not guaranteed deal in place to help fund it. where would that supplemental financing come from for a new football stadium? lincoln is not a big enough metro to draw anything other than the cornhuskers that would have any significant dent on the dollars it would take to pull this off.

and finally, why? building another jerry world is not going to change the fortunes of nebraska recruiting. its not needed to put butts in the seats, and if it ever is, then that is an epic disaster. is it so decrpit that it is a danger? i can't thing of any good reason to do something to such a historical place that is still standing strong even if it does have its issues.

I said this in a thread awhile ago,
Clear out the Russian bottoms,
(Old housing area, just across from University)
Build a new stadium/complex, state of the art,

So you are obviously a golfer. Thing is not a big deal to 95% of students and 99.9% of fans.
Used to be but not anymore. Anyhow, minor perk in student–athlete recruit battle.

Perk? School facilities. Several years ago I talked with basketball 3-star guy..... recruit battle. He choose OU because partially fulfill nice golf course (minor perks). Just like new $155M Husker's athletic training facility will have every possible answer or need for the athletes. Lot of football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc players in spare times spent campus golf course ..... better than bar hoppers

jimmie_austin_ou_golf_club_cover_picture.jpg

Short par 3. Resemble famous 12th hole (Masters Golden Bell) ???

Last edited:

Just reduce its size by making seating per individual larger. You can do without cup holders for goodness sakes; eliminate obstructed seats; enhance toilet facilities - do that kind of stuff. Then modernize locker rooms, put in escalators where needed, etc..

The problem with relocating is the site is really good - central to students, downtown, etc. Playing games for a couple of years 200 miles away in KC is a non-starter for a college sport, IMO. After all, for anything but football games a half dozen or so days a year, it's a white elephant. Lincoln is not on the big time rock star circuit unfortunately, so multi use is almost non existent.

Track and filed used to use the stadium, but no more. We don't have a university lacrosse team that might be able to use the field and we only have a women's soccer team (and I don't know where they play). It may be that there are many uses already in existence for the stadium and maybe I just don't know what they are. But if so they shun publicity since you never hear about them.

I imagine there are much better things that the university and taxpayers could do with the money needed to demolish and build a new football stadium, nice as that might be.

I said this in a thread awhile ago,
Clear out the Russian bottoms,
(Old housing area, just across from University)
Build a new stadium/complex, state of the art,
Across railroad track?

Anyway too late now ..... new $155M athlete facility project. (under construction)

B1G since WWII, I believe only one school changed stadium; Minnesota Gophers. Or perhaps Rutgers *** ???

Baylor Bears .... in 2014, moved from Casey stadium (demolished) to Mclane stadium. About 3 miles away.

Also, CSU Rams .... different location, from old stadium to new ...... @ramsker

*** The old Rutgers stadium was completely leveled in '90s. But the same location ..... "new" SHI stadium. During the construction of the SHI stadium, the Rutgers played in 1993 season at NY Giants stadium.

Last edited:

Used to be but not anymore. Anyhow, minor perk in student–athlete recruit battle.

Perk? School facilities. Several years ago I talked with basketball 3-star guy..... recruit battle. He choose OU because partially fulfill nice golf course (minor perks). Just like new $155M Husker's athletic training facility will have every possible answer or need for the athletes. Lot of football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc players in spare times spent campus golf rounds ..... better than bar hoppers

jimmie_austin_ou_golf_club_cover_picture.jpg

Short par 3. Kinda like famous 12th hole (Masters Golden Bell)
Ok so just to be sure. Your argument is that because 1....1 basketball recruit chose Oki. We should now not do any upgrades to the football stadium, to build...a golf course. Riiiiiiiiiight

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back