• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should we believe Chinander? Is that enough?

MartyHuskerFan

Tired and True
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/plus/...cle_c646c36a-2b15-5162-8de1-4d0842c42a70.html

“We’re OK with knocking balls down,” defensive coordinator Erik Chinander said Tuesday. “We’re celebrating after a knockdown pass. Passes aren’t supposed to get knocked down, they’re supposed to get intercepted. We have to be disappointed in a knockdown and mad we didn’t get the pick.”
Reed had a chance to intercept that, Chinander believes. And if he does, he had a lane for a touchdown. At that point, it’d be 7-3 Nebraska in the first quarter. And that changes the game.
That’s how close Chinander believes this defense is to being better. It’s ranked near the bottom of the Big Ten in nearly every category, and those turnovers just aren’t coming this year like they did for UCF in 2017.

They have been saying it all along, but it seems like a cop out. I'll bet if it were happening, then this really would turn out differently. Can we trust and follow on this one? Would it be ok if we let Wisconsin run all over us bet stay close or pull off the upset due to getting 2-3 take aways and changing the trajectory of the game? I say, it would be ok in the interim, but I would want it to just be part of the whole package as we roll along.

I can't see the content because I'm not a subscriber but based on this I agree they should be unhappy with just knocking down passes. We want picks. It would be huge for the defense to get off the field and get the ball in the hands of the offense.

It's certainly not the only thing they could improve upon but it would be a great start.

Last edited:
Bottom line. This team is being built on scoring lots of points. His comments make more sense when we are scoring as designed.

This thinking works great when we score at will. The more possessions we have the more points we score. When you start playing with a lead it changes how teams play against you.

Once this offense is running in all cylinders this team will win most games. Unfortunately we need time to develop/recruit the jimmy’s and the joes.

So until our offense works. Chinanders defense will struggle.

Bottom line. This team is being built on scoring lots of points. His comments make more sense when we are scoring as designed.

This thinking works great when we score at will. The more possessions we have the more points we score. When you start playing with a lead it changes how teams play against you.

Once this offense is running in all cylinders this team will win most games. Unfortunately we need time to develop/recruit the jimmy’s and the joes.

So until our offense works. Chinanders defense will struggle.

Great point. Chinander is definitely going to be the target of a lot of fan angst in the coming years, because there will never be shut-down defense paired with Frost's offense. It's not built that way.

Once it's up and running the way Frost wants it, the D is going to be on the field way too much to look anything like a vintage Blackshirt defense.

Great point. Chinander is definitely going to be the target of a lot of fan angst in the coming years, because there will never be shut-down defense paired with Frost's offense. It's not built that way.

Once it's up and running the way Frost wants it, the D is going to be on the field way too much to look anything like a vintage Blackshirt defense.
Thus it comes back to being aggressive on defense and causing the turnovers. I keep wondering how to flip the switch and start causing turnovers. But I do believe that our offense is clicking well enough to really make a team pay when they turn the ball over! GBR

Our D IMO will never be great, it was far from great when they coached CFU. I don't why you can't have a good O and a good D at the same time. GBR

He seems like a straight shooter to me. I believe he and all of the SF staff feed us the story line that SF wants us to hear. I believe that story line is as much of the varnished truth that SF thinks we can handle.

If Chinander wants to go "what if" , what if the 3 dropped balls by the Badgers D were pics?

reps + s/c + coaching + talent + depth = success. right now our talent and depth are mighty thin. give a lot of these guys 2-3 years with this staff and they magically become good players. ucf's scoring defense was top 10 last year in the first half of the season, then injuries started thinning them out and the result was hold on and hope you can outscore your opppent. melton had a bad throwing day against auburn but the defense had enough guys back and able to play at a higher level to hold auburn off in the 4th quarter. frost and co. will get us there just not soon enough for me.

If Chinander wants to go "what if" , what if the 3 dropped balls by the Badgers D were pics?
I dont think its exactly a 'what if' strategy or excuse. I think he believes that turnovers are necessary and he believes his guys can get them if they just change their mentality. Guy sees an errant throw he should be thinking 'make the pic' and not thinking 'bat it down'. Take the risks on defense, regardless of the potential cost. I an sure you need to balance the risks, but I like the idea of forcing the issue. Problem is these defensive players have not been coached to take the risk and force the issue.... until now!!! GBR

The thing that most don’t see is, when you score in 30 seconds your defense will be on the field ALOT. The stats will look horrible, but that is kind of defense expected with our offense.

This is why chinander preaches turnovers, you get one and it is probably a 14 point swing. It’s more of a number of possession type mentality. People will always score on us under Frost. The key is we need to score fast and often. When they talk lack of depth, this is also a problem with this program right now. We probably don’t win many time of possession battles with Frost in the big 10. It’s just not designed that way.

Thus it comes back to being aggressive on defense and causing the turnovers. I keep wondering how to flip the switch and start causing turnovers. But I do believe that our offense is clicking well enough to really make a team pay when they turn the ball over! GBR

There's been quite a bit of research regarding the randomness of turnovers, and the studies indicate that around 55% of turnovers are explained by luck.

That still leaves 45% of turnovers explained by something else - defensive player skill and QB accuracy are big ones. I'm not sure if much can be attributed to coaching. You can draw up more blitzes and do tip drills and strip drills, but it's hard to coach turnovers.

In Nebraska's case, I'm sure playing from behind isn't helping. The NU offense has to to take more risks while opposing offenses can get more conservative.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back