• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should The B1G Expand?

This is reassuring. there is not reason to expand just to expand. Unless its a big wave maker, just stay were we are.
Lots of the Big name writers and reporters are saying there is no truth to the rumors of a BIG and PAC12 merger. So basically anyone can speculate anything but nothing substantial at this point.

Lots of the Big name writers and reporters are saying there is no truth to the rumors of a BIG and PAC12 merger. So basically anyone can speculate anything but nothing substantial at this point.
Hope they’re right, I think it would be a very stupid move, even worse than say a West Virginia in the Big 12.

I haven’t been tracking all the chatter closely, but I presume you add Kansas and IA State in an attempt to make the strongest two-sport conference. Which is legitimately possible.

I obviously agree completely! If the BIG screws up and adds a couple of no name schools could our big programs leave? Maybe the ACC expands and takes Michigan plus Ohio St. If that happens the BIG is as dead as the little12
They, at least Michigan, are way to snooty to leave the big

The link below shows what the B1G member institutions care more about then football. It explains why some people quickly shut their mouths during last years fiasco.

The link below shows what the B1G member institutions care more about then football. It explains why some people quickly shut their mouths during last years fiasco.
EXACTLY!!

All of the former football player meatheads in the media seem to think that the only thing that matters is the TV contract.

The BTAA is nearly $10,000,000,000 in combined federal and private grant money. The conference TV deal is pennies in comparison.

DONU is VERY fortunate to be a part of it and will NEVER leave. It's also why the take of "Michigan and tOSU might jump to the SEC" is so laughable it should never be taken seriously by anyone.

Just 7 college football seasons ago, the B1G elected to water down the conference with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland
This was motivated entirely by geography
It had everything do with population and attendant number of television sets

Much has changed in the last 7 years

Geography {i.e. population and # of TV sets in a given area} is no longer much of a factor
Cable television is dying
The country is moving swiftly towards a streaming, subscription television model

What matters now is name recognition and brand value to stimulate interest, generate excitement., and secure said subscriptions

The SEC seems set to considerably elevate it’s own brand value with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas – two massive, brand name, college football programs

Blue bloods that most certainly stimulate interest and generate excitement

Need the B1G, in an effort to keep up with the SEC, act to expand once again?

Maybe yes…
Maybe no…

If the answer is yes, then I would think it imperative to target only those programs that bring a name brand value comparable to that which OU and UT will be delivering to the SEC

The remnants and scraps of the Big 12 just won’t cut it!

The only way the B1G’ll move the dial is to go big!
If expansion is inevitable and forthcoming, then I say do whatever it takes to land a couple blue blood fish of our own

Wouldn’t Notre Dame and Southern Cal make a nice addition to the B1G’s current roster {Nebraska, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan} of blue blood programs?

If the money is there, then the existing contractual {and in the case of USC, logistical} concerns shouldn’t be that great of an impediment

Anything short of this and, in my opinion, the B1G ought just to leave well enough alone and stick with the 14 schools that are presently in the lineup
I can't fault your aspirations but have you ever travelled on a weekly basis for work?

Traveling to or from Pacific and East Coast time zones weekly is difficult for even seasoned travelers not to mention college teams.

Travel is no longer a problem.

Football is about to break away from the NCAA. The women's rifle team, gymnastics, bowling and rowing can all still compete in the Big Ten, SEC, or whatever else exists.

I have a hunch that in 5 years, you'll see football as a standalone entity. We already have dozens (hundreds?) of schools who are affiliate members of conferences for certain sports. Notre Dame plays everything but football in the ACC. Johns Hopkins is an associate member of the Big Ten for lacrosse.

Every other sport is about to become "associate member of something" and football will be independent.

I'm betting on about 48 teams making the cut. Pure speculation on my part, but that would be the smart way to do it. I've said it a hundred times, but nobody cares about watching Akron play New Mexico State in the Snuggie Cactus Fart Bowl Sponsored by The General Auto Insurance Presented by Shaq.

I'm pretty sure that Big Ten universities could continue with the CIC and receive government grant money even if their football teams aren't competing. If I'm wrong about that, then the commingling of higher education and big-time athletics is an even dumber idea than I thought.

The Big Ten is intact medium-term, but I'd never say never. The financial impact of OU and UT to the SEC is material but not hugely significant in the scheme of things. The real gains come from further consolidating recruiting power. Kids outside the footprint now have even more incentive to leave for SEC territory. It's undeniably the premier college conference.

"Hey 4* kid from the Midwest, do you want to compete at the highest level college has to offer......or do you want to compete for the Hy-Vee Heroes Trophy in a cornfield?"

If this advantage materializes to the extent it might over a 5 to 10 year period, the talent disparity could lead a program like Ohio State to bolt for the SEC.

I obviously agree completely! If the BIG screws up and adds a couple of no name schools could our big programs leave? Maybe the ACC expands and takes Michigan plus Ohio St. If that happens the BIG is as dead as the little12
All day this

don’t need Ku ISU as that adds nothing to the market. No one cares about the old KU and NU rivalry back 100 years ago

add someone like USC and Oregon to the market, you got a deal.
That will not happen unless your dreams are wetter than mine… mine have dried up

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back