• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should The B1G Expand?

Agree, we can only hope....but color me skeptical/pessimistic when it comes to Warren and the B1G Presidents.
I have heard rumors that Delaney is involved behind the scenes. I don’t know the validity but a few different guys are tweeting about it.

I have heard rumors that Delaney is involved behind the scenes. I don’t know the validity but a few different guys are tweeting about it.
Didn't the B1G hire someone to help Warren, i.e. hopefully do all the work to hand Warren a good idea on a silver platter so even he doesn't screw it up? Can't remember who but thought I heard that. It wasn't Delaney, though I am NOT saying Delaney is or isn't involved somehow.

Didn't the B1G hire someone to help Warren, i.e. hopefully do all the work to hand Warren a good idea on a silver platter so even he doesn't screw it up? Can't remember who but thought I heard that. It wasn't Delaney, though I am NOT saying Delaney is or isn't involved somehow.
I’ve heard that’s Alvarez’s role now. I can’t believe we hired a guy that is this incompetent. We shouldn’t have to hire people to hold our commissioners hand.

This is a guy that a few posters recommended following. MABC says he’s connected to the Wisconsin athletic department. I have no clue but he puts out good information.

This is a guy that a few posters recommended following. MABC says he’s connected to the Wisconsin athletic department. I have no clue but he puts out good information.

I am not sure if he knows his A from a hole in the ground, but I like what that guy is putting down right now.

You were right, it was Delaney. Well, since we know Warren would fail, it was at least on paper, a very smart move to bring in Delaney. Hopefully he looks at the big picture and not of what the B1G has been historically, or else the B1G will not do a thing.

I just want the other shoe to drop. I feel like there must be all sorts of frenetic negotiations occurring in back rooms, while the rest of us just hold our breath… and wait…

Travel is no longer a problem.

Football is about to break away from the NCAA. The women's rifle team, gymnastics, bowling and rowing can all still compete in the Big Ten, SEC, or whatever else exists.

I have a hunch that in 5 years, you'll see football as a standalone entity. We already have dozens (hundreds?) of schools who are affiliate members of conferences for certain sports. Notre Dame plays everything but football in the ACC. Johns Hopkins is an associate member of the Big Ten for lacrosse.

Every other sport is about to become "associate member of something" and football will be independent.

I'm betting on about 48 teams making the cut. Pure speculation on my part, but that would be the smart way to do it. I've said it a hundred times, but nobody cares about watching Akron play New Mexico State in the Snuggie Cactus Fart Bowl Sponsored by The General Auto Insurance Presented by Shaq.
I’m not sure football has to break away from the ncaa. After all there needs to be a rule setting entity and for the most part the ncaa is better suited than a new start up would be. (For those who want to say how bad the ncaa is regarding rules and following them I can assure you the new entity would meet with equal disgust).

What needs to happen is a new division within the ncaa that hosts those 48 or 64 teams. Now that is where the ncaa might screw up because if they don’t act those schools might.

I’m not sure football has to break away from the ncaa. After all there needs to be a rule setting entity and for the most part the ncaa is better suited than a new start up would be. (For those who want to say how bad the ncaa is regarding rules and following them I can assure you the new entity would meet with equal disgust).

What needs to happen is a new division within the ncaa that hosts those 48 or 64 teams. Now that is where the ncaa might screw up because if they don’t act those schools might.
That was exactly my point.

Husker Volleyball, Baseball, etc, would still be competing against Indiana and Michigan State in the Big Ten, and Nebraska Football would be competing in the Super Mega Awesome Thing against USC and Florida (or whomever).

It's like how Notre Dame has played in the Big East and ACC for everything non-football, except now it works for everyone that way.

Whether the NCAA wants to sanction that league or let the schools create an entity to themselves is anybody's call. I agree that a new body would likely be just as goofy, corrupt or ineffective as the current NCAA, but my broader point is that the current conferences will likely still exist for non-football (ie, non-money-printing) sports.

Just 7 college football seasons ago, the B1G elected to water down the conference with the addition of Rutgers and Maryland
This was motivated entirely by geography
It had everything do with population and attendant number of television sets

Much has changed in the last 7 years

Geography {i.e. population and # of TV sets in a given area} is no longer much of a factor
Cable television is dying
The country is moving swiftly towards a streaming, subscription television model

What matters now is name recognition and brand value to stimulate interest, generate excitement., and secure said subscriptions

The SEC seems set to considerably elevate it’s own brand value with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas – two massive, brand name, college football programs

Blue bloods that most certainly stimulate interest and generate excitement

Need the B1G, in an effort to keep up with the SEC, act to expand once again?

Maybe yes…
Maybe no…

If the answer is yes, then I would think it imperative to target only those programs that bring a name brand value comparable to that which OU and UT will be delivering to the SEC

The remnants and scraps of the Big 12 just won’t cut it!

The only way the B1G’ll move the dial is to go big!
If expansion is inevitable and forthcoming, then I say do whatever it takes to land a couple blue blood fish of our own
Wouldn’t Texas A&M and Tennessee be an ever better fit for the conference. Invade the SEC I believe both would seriously consider the move.
Wouldn’t Notre Dame and Southern Cal make a nice addition to the B1G’s current roster {Nebraska, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan} of blue blood programs?

If the money is there, then the existing contractual {and in the case of USC, logistical} concerns shouldn’t be that great of an impediment

Anything short of this and, in my opinion, the B1G ought just to leave well enough alone and stick with the 14 schools that are presently in the lineup

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back