• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should Scott Frost pivot his offense?

And yes, Scott needs to change his offense.

I think if he had Alabama or Clemson-level talent he might win a hundred titles, but the reality is that our bench depth is not that great. We're building a system essentially from scratch.

The best analogy I can think of is that Frost's offense is like a finely-tuned Formula1 race car. And both the Big Ten - and our talent level - is more akin to an off road rally race.

His schemes would work nicely in the flawless execution of an Alabama or NFL team. But we need something much more practical and lunchpail. You can't get fancypants if you're not properly setting blocks and tackles.

That will get the recruits runnning to join.

Its actually neither of those, as nothing is perfect.

Practice makes permanent. That's how the saying should actually go.

It’s perfectly fine to pursue perfection as long as you keep things in proper perspective. I really like this quote from Vince Lombardi: “Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”

I think this (Lombardi’s) perspective can be applied to our countless discussions related to our Huskers needing to: improve execution, demonstrate discipline/accountability, eliminate unforced errors and (coaches and players) make better decisions.

While it’s highly unlikely to be perfect in all of these areas in a single game, if we pursue perfection in these areas and just catch excellence, I’m confident that it will have a positive impact on outcomes.

This is also why I’ve never liked the “no fear of failure... desire to excel” mantra. It seems to me that it promotes that it’s okay to make mistakes as long as you’re going 100mph and/or trying to go all out. To me that could/would lead to recklessness and indiscipline.

I’d prefer a pursuit of perfection with a commitment to excellence.

Last edited:

It's been said here many times. Our practices are about maximizing the number of "reps". Instruction and correcting is done in the film room. This will work if you have a veteran team but we don't. Veterans can take class room work and translate it to the field, young players not so much at this level. Our practices are full of mental mistakes, missed assignments because these young guys are just trying to keep up and keep their heads above water. We have to slow it down, correct in real time so players can learn proper mental and muscle memory. I remember reading how Vedral was leading and pushing the pace for WHOLE team in Scott's first spring and thinking " why are we trying to go a warp speed and not learn the fundementals and proper techniques to this offense".

Last edited:
The scheme is not the problem. There is a lot in the playbook. Run schemes to beat every front, and pass schemes to beat every coverage. Several have already mentioned that it comes down to the execution. Retention of players will help with that. Wandale's replacement will not know the offense as well. Just like JD's replacement.

If you watch any film of SF's offense from his Oregon and UCF days, in addition to the last 3 seasons, there is very little that the offense is lacking schematically. The limited (and sometimes questionable) play calling probably comes down to the limited time to install everything AND have the right players able to execute. Just my two cents.

There are plenty of schemes that will work. This will be year 4 in the Frost era, and I don’t know that I have seen anything yet that resembles a scheme.

Maybe that changes this year!
Nothing wrong with the scheme, just ask buffalo bills.
I have faith (hope) that it does change this year.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back