• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should Scott Frost pivot his offense?

If you really wanted to use the word pivot, and you were a true Nebraskan, you would have been able to work the phrase "central pivot irrigation system" into casual conversation.....

1610723941482.png

As I mentioned just recently in another thread, the problem isn't our X's and O's, it's our execution. Don't fumble. Don't false start. Don't miss a block because you forgot your assignment. Don't snap high because you started off in a bad position over the ball when you lined up. Don't take a sack when you could throw it away. Dont throw a pick just to avoid a sack. Improve on those things, and our point production takes a huge step forward.

I agree with CODE, the people in Valley Neb, wouldve appreciated that.

Hog says it well, the little things are eating us alive......

3 less penalties per game prob equates to 1.5 more scoring drives, cause the drive didnt stop due to a hold.

I less turnover speaks for itself.

The hidden yardage of special teams, means we would start an avg of 15 yards closer on most drives, because of better punting and punt cov.

2 more 3rd down conv per game on off, and 2 less on def

Force the opponents OL into 1 more holding call per game, because this stops a drive.

The little things make a difference

And yes, Scott needs to change his offense.

I think if he had Alabama or Clemson-level talent he might win a hundred titles, but the reality is that our bench depth is not that great. We're building a system essentially from scratch.

The best analogy I can think of is that Frost's offense is like a finely-tuned Formula1 race car. And both the Big Ten - and our talent level - is more akin to an off road rally race.

His schemes would work nicely in the flawless execution of an Alabama or NFL team. But we need something much more practical and lunchpail. You can't get fancypants if you're not properly setting blocks and tackles.

Last edited:
As I mentioned just recently in another thread, the problem isn't our X's and O's, it's our execution. Don't fumble. Don't false start. Don't miss a block because you forgot your assignment. Don't snap high because you started off in a bad position over the ball when you lined up. Don't take a sack when you could throw it away. Dont throw a pick just to avoid a sack. Improve on those things, and our point production takes a huge step forward.
Spot on. Even though it's talked about relentlessly on social media, we don't need to move away from the 3-4, just like we don't need to move away from the shield punt, just like we don't need a new offense. Our coaches need to coach better, our players need to execute better. There's dozens of examples of our schemes working, and dozens of examples of our schemes failing.

Spot on. Even though it's talked about relentlessly on social media, we don't need to move away from the 3-4, just like we don't need to move away from the shield punt, just like we don't need a new offense. Our coaches need to coach better, our players need to execute better. There's dozens of examples of our schemes working, and dozens of examples of our schemes failing.

Well, it could be argued that it can't be executed consistently, and at a high level because of the scheme itself.. I am not saying that is the reason, just saying that could be argued.

I tend to believe because of the schemes, the coaches are not doing a good job of teaching it.

Last edited:
Well, it could be argued that it can't be executed consistently, and at a high level because of the scheme itself.. I am not saying that is the reason, just saying that could be argued.

I tend to believe because of the schemes, the coaches are not doing a good job of teaching it.
Why could that be argued? I watched Indiana and Purdue go 3-1 against us doing essentially the exact same scheme. I watch Ohio State execute just fine.

I think we need to figure out how we can be more effective in teaching/learning our offense so we can get our better athletes on the field sooner and more effectively. I don't have a huge issue with our offense style..... some calls or personale usage yes .... style not so much

My issue with the offense is we try to run the same offense as other teams but we will never have the same level of talent. we would have more success trying to mirror Wisky and Iowa but I digress..

Last edited:

My issue with the offense is we try to run the same offense as other teams but we will never have the same level of talent. we would have more success trying to mirror Wisky and Iowa but I digress..

So basically the same issues that the MR regime had, trying to run an offense that is only successful if the team has more talent than who they are playing?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back