• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Should know by Tuesday.....ish

Funny how things can be put in perspective. I want fall football as bad as anyone, but here in eastern NC we're potentially looking at a hurricane "Monday...ish". Many still haven't fully recovered from Florence 2 years ago. College football got kicked to the back burner here in the blink of an eye.
Graduated UNCW, Mom lives in Leland, I hear you!

You could prove correct, but I would argue the people running sports at any level were never really serious about having it because it turns out they had adopted an impossible to meet standard of zero cases or everyone qurantines. That was never going to happen.

Two Cardinals test positive and they postpone their games instead of just playing with replacements and isolating the positives. They're going to conduct contact tracing. That makes zero sense. If their standard is zero positives they could only do that with perfectly controlled social distancing. If they had that there would be no reason to contact trace. Their plan was never realistic.

The NBA's approach does have a snowball's chance, but given human nature, just barely.
You take any group and test them heavily, you will get cases. I really don't know why MLB even bothered with what they put in place.

What college football needed was for the professional sports to “work”, and really MLB as that would be similar to what the NCAA could expect as far as restricting athletes (Can’t have a bubble with students like the NBA). Horrible timing with MLB getting outbreaks/canceling games and talk from their commissioner of shutting down.

It is possible that living in a bubble is the only way this season will happen. The NBA professional athletes may be able to make that work, because it is the job of all involved with the team to make it work (or they shouldn't get a paycheck).

But with student/athletes needing to attend classes with others not in the bubble, this may be impossible.

Problem: Enable student/athletes to remain in a bubble setting and still get their education, with enough incentive to make it work for all student/athletes to maintain the bubble. What are the obstacles while dealing with teenagers/early 20 age humans?

Solutions: ?
Kids make really dumb decisions in “normal times.”It will be impossible to monitor their daily activities and contacts during the current pandemic. One idiot decision could bring the house of cards down for everyone.

I'll just be glad when we finally know.

I still tend to think there will be some football. But I won't be at all surprised if there's 3-5 bye weeks, as suggested in the article. I'm not sure how realistic the rumor is that there may not be any football in the fall.
I believe they may attempt to start the season however the testing will reveal problems and the season will be scrapped.

I believe they may attempt to start the season however the testing will reveal problems and the season will be scrapped.
Likely scenario. Only question, do all teams have their season scrapped at once or will there be selective games allowed? Would think this would be a total kill switch kind of decision out of fairness.

From some conversations I’ve had with a Big 10 coach, there is an expectation that teams will have to be flexible.

People want football, but they have to be smart.

Play 8 games over 12-14 weeks. Keep everyone off the same weeks

If college is in, the players are going to be at somewhat heightened risk of exposure anyway. What nobody wants, is for football to be a super spreader event and for players to be put at undue risk, even though their individual risk is very low for a bad outcome.

if a team gets a bad outbreak, they are going to have to quarantine, stop practices and reschedule games for open weeks. Teams need to accept that is going to happen and be flexible.

players are going to have to take some responsibility. If they want to play, they need to use caution.

keep stadium capacity to 20% and see how it goes to start.

I do believe that if teams are responsible and with flexible scheduling, football can happen.

From some conversations I’ve had with a Big 10 coach, there is an expectation that teams will have to be flexible.

People want football, but they have to be smart.

Play 8 games over 12-14 weeks. Keep everyone off the same weeks

If college is in, the players are going to be at somewhat heightened risk of exposure anyway. What nobody wants, is for football to be a super spreader event and for players to be put at undue risk, even though their individual risk is very low for a bad outcome.

if a team gets a bad outbreak, they are going to have to quarantine, stop practices and reschedule games for open weeks. Teams need to accept that is going to happen and be flexible.

players are going to have to take some responsibility. If they want to play, they need to use caution.

keep stadium capacity to 20% and see how it goes to start.

I do believe that if teams are responsible and with flexible scheduling, football can happen.

I think that will be the case.

An article I linked in one of these threads a few days ago had mention of anywhere between 3 and 5 bye weeks. If they go the five bye week route, maybe it will only be 8 games, as you mentioned.

Why not play a game and then both teams are off for two weeks?

People keep suggesting this but that strategy would only work if you’re assuming that players can’t be exposed to the virus outside of game weekends. What happens when you’re scheduled for week #1 and week #3 but your players get exposed on the ‘off weekend’ of week #2 and test positive on Monday?

You’re going to have to schedule each week and be flexible enough as a conference to make adjustments to the schedule on the fly. That’s why we’re going to a conference-only schedule, to have enough flexibility and total control of the schedule to make adjustments as needed. The schedule will be in pencil, not pen this season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back