• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Should College Football Be Banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Yawn*

No one ever got 40,000 people to show up to watch students take tests.

NU's athletic department supports the academic side.

Yawn is right. I occasionally run across the same arguments in century-old newspaper articles.

Should college football be banned? Probably not.

Should there be less footballs teams in FBS? Probably.

But that is up to individual schools to decide.

He says only college football should be banned, but modified versions of the argument he makes would be just as relevant to high school and pro football, so the proposal is really should ALL football be banned.

He's right of course. And every enjoyable activity should be banned, or at least those that distract us from our sole purpose of getting from birth to death having as little fun as possible. Which makes me wonder why we focus on safety so much. If we can't have any fun, why do we want to live so long?

His generalization is based upon some schools that can't produce revenue with their football programs.... if anything Nebraska is the school that is totally opposite of this scenario. If all schools were able to work with our numbers he wouldn't have an argument, 'cept for that nasty concussion thing. ;)

I don't understand why colleges have massive football and basketball programs anymore; I don't view athletics as working towards the university mission. With the way football and basketball have grown, it would seem that the Top 80 or so programs should simply privatize themselves, unchain themselves from the NCAA, and compensate their players with a living salary.

That said, I'm not sure Nebraska football would have grown as large as it did without ties to UNL. As a private entity, I don't think fans would have developed the same rabid attachment, since the team wouldn't bear the same name as their alma matter. You'd never get private donors to step up with massive contributions to expand the stadium or build athletic facilities. I'd wager that the team would have probably ended up like nearly every minor league team out there: empty seat and constant relocation.

Last edited:

[video=youtube;t0zFmUMeI3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0zFmUMeI3c&feature=player_embedded[/video]

You can play it safe your whole life, exercise, eat all the right foods, minimize risk taking behavior, not drink or smoke.......and still slip in the shower and break your neck and die.

You can play it safe your whole life, exercise, eat all the right foods, minimize risk taking behavior, not drink or smoke.......and still slip in the shower and break your neck and die.

You won't slip if you have adhesive ducks in your shower.

If concussions could be the break-all for this sport due to legal liability and all, why don't the schools just start to write in a clause in the scholarships for concussions to waive them from any liability? That'll close a loophole and allow the sport to keep going rather than collapsing under frivolous lawsuits and legal procedures?

Hell, I know there's a possibility of getting a concussion and suing the school accomplishes nothing other than getting money and tarnishing the school in the process. It's a violent game. get with the times.

No, but any politician that comes up with a bill to ban should be banned from being a politician.

I could see it now Liberals want to change rules, like making it non-contact flag football and no score would be kept because it would be demoralizing to a young man to lose.

While I don't think college football should be banned I do think there is way to much money and attention placed on it. There are way to many small schools pour a lot of money into programs that shouldn't...but that is there call and they shouldn't come looking for a bailout when students can't afford to go their anymore.Interesting to look back over the evolution of colleget sports and how it has gone from clubs at schools to schools administered and financed businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back