• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Shatel Suggests $$$ is the Primary Reason for the Struggles with Ticket Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

With full disbursements coming from the B1G next year, there will be no reason to continue to fleece the fanbase via the donor system established by Bill Byrne and maintained by his successors. The game day atmosphere suffers when only affluent fans can afford to attend.

I liked this idea from Harley: “Perhaps the university needs to price some tickets like some golf clubs where individuals under a certain age (30?) pay a lower donation level that ratchets up to full donation value by, say, age 35 or 40. This would help some younger folks until — theoretically — they get to higher income-earning years.”

That sounds good to Thomas, a recent NU grad: “I have looked into purchasing season tickets but the donation has kept me from doing so. I have concluded that paying the premium of purchasing tickets for only the games I want to go to is worth it, and spending the remaining money to go to a road game makes more sense. I would love to own season tickets of my own, just not at $3,000 per year.”I think that's one of the best points in the article.

There simply is not many people under the age of 30 who can afford around $3,000 per season per ticket (and I'm guessing most don't buy single seats). I'm certain I would not have been able to afford that cost at that age. And if you price out the younger generation of fans, you may very well lose part of the fan base from ever attending. It's easier to reel a fan in early and keep them then it is to convince them to attend 10 years later when they've grown used to watching the games at home and not having to budget for that expense.

It does seem that the crowd in Memorial Stadium will become increasingly white collar. And fewer and fewer folks from outside Lincoln or Omaha. There isn't many from the small farming towns that have that kind of disposable income -- regardless of age.

I'm not sure how private clubs get away with that, and of course McDonalds will give you a discount for "Senior coffee"*, so age discrimination pricing must somehow be legal, but for a fact, charging older people significantly more for seats at Memorial is a complete non-starter.

* A few years ago, I just ordered coffee at a McDonalds counter and a pretty young cashier said back to me, "One Senior Coffee." It was years before I was supposed to qualify. I almost pulled out my Driver's License to prove I wasn't that old. :mad::lol:

Last edited:

They will if demand falls. Certainly not to protect the sellout, but to protect revenue and maintain as best they can.

I just don't see 90,000 bellying up to the current pricing forever.

I don't see it either but the University isn't going to gamble their dollars based on the success of our team. Imagine the money they would have lost over the past decade? The fans will respond accordingly anyway if the product doesn't improve. It appears that has already happened.

I live in the KC area. Due to my teaching/coaching schedule it is difficult for me to attend games in the fall. If I am lucky enough to make it to a football game and/or a volleyball match, I always purchase tickets on Stubhub. Purchasing season tickets in my case isn't feasible.

It doesn't help that Nebraska has had some horrible home football schedules the last few years. I have seen on many occasions tickets being listed on Stubhub several days before kickoff between $15-$30 for mediocre teams. People forget that our nation's economy has been stagnant for around a decade. Many people do not have the same disposable income as they used to. For many people it makes sense to purchase tickets this way.

It is hard for many people to justify purchasing season tickets regardless of the donation amount when tickets are readily available from their friends, work associations, online ticket sources, and sellers on gameday. Many fans simply have to watch their bottom line when it comes to their finances. For many it makes more since to invest that money into their "Husker Football Cave" then to travel to the actual game for financial and time reasons.

The bottom line...until the overall product on the football field and the home schedule improves the selling of season tickets will become more problematic for the Athletic Department.

Lets keep up the great discussion!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The donation is simply a way to dynamically price seats and offer a tax deduction in the process. It's a no-brainer for athletic departments to do it this way. If all tickets were $54, the secondary market would be flooded with the best seats in the house re-priced to reflect the market. Ticket revenue would shift from the AD to resellers.

There are obviously still plenty of fans willing to pay (apparently around 89,000) their current donation levels. If (and more likely when) the streak is in serious jeopardy, seats will get re-priced at the margin, meaning new/additional seats can be had for a lower donation but they won't re-price all seats.

The donation is simply a way to dynamically price seats and offer a tax deduction in the process. It's a no-brainer for athletic departments to do it this way. If all tickets were $54, the secondary market would be flooded with the best seats in the house re-priced to reflect the market. Ticket revenue would shift from the AD to resellers.

There are obviously still plenty of fans willing to pay (apparently around 89,000) their current donation levels. If (and more likely when) the streak is in serious jeopardy, seats will get re-priced at the margin, meaning new/additional seats can be had for a lower donation but they won't re-price all seats.

I agree.

Even if they get rid of the donations, no way 50 yard line seats stay at $399 a seat for season tickets.

With full disbursements coming from the B1G next year, there will be no reason to continue to fleece the fanbase via the donor system established by Bill Byrne and maintained by his successors. The game day atmosphere suffers when only affluent fans can afford to attend.

Were donations started by Byrne? I thought they existed before that.

I don't mind the donation in theory, but I just think they're a little too high right now. I understand the demand, but apparently they've lost some goodwill among fans. There should be a better balance.

I'm actually thinking about buying tickets to the Air Force Academy just to get a football fix. I can get lower "bowl" season tickets close to the field for the whole family for less than a pair of season tickets in the north end zone nosebleed section of Memorial Stadium.

Two things. 1) Nail, meet Hammer. 2) Even though the demand gap here is tiny, so there is no reason for giving $20 million back to fans, based on the outpouring here and the Shatel article, I do suspect there is some donor fatigue.

It's probably caused by (1) all the heretofore discussed TV-alternative competition, especially among the young, (2) the length of time since Nebraska was really competitive - it's the better part of a generation now folks and that means something (and no, last season's didn't cause it, but it would make it worse if it continues); (3) the recession, and the lingering decline in the number of people flush with disposable income.

So I didn't think so before, but if I was managing this I would probably do some minor across-the-board tweaks to the donation system, and maybe cut capacity by 1000 seats, just to make sure things stay tight and fans feel appreciated. But I wouldn't put more than a couple of million into it, which is not going to make any difference on the high dollar seat locations.

Last edited:
Were donations started by Byrne? I thought they existed before that.

My first donation, at least according to my current account record began in 1996, while Byrne was AD, but I'm sure you are right, they existed before that. He ramped them up considerably when the Club Level seats were established in about 1999.

My first donation, at least according to my current account record began in 1996, while Byrne was AD, but I'm sure you are right, they existed before that. He ramped them up considerably when the Club Level seats were established in about 1999.
I may be wrong, but I think previous donations may have been through an organization such as The Beef Club, or something similar. B Byrne brougt all that under University control

Yes if I recall there was an attitude back then by many (not season ticket holders of course!) that Nebraska had been kind of living in the stone ages with regard to it's handling of this issue. They had a decent sized stadium, a passionate, fervent fan base, and a long history of on the field excellence- yet they were charging everybody the same amount to attend games. Some grumbled at the time about Bryne's changes, nicknaming him "dollar Bill".

Those outside the program praised Byrne for only doing what was being done at other big time programs, as I recall, while locally many ridiculed Bryne. (As some people will always do if it costs them money)

As a senior living on a fixed income, there will soon come a day when I can no longer afford to pay big $ for my seats. I am not a blue haired, sit on my hands fan either. If NU wants the sellout tradition to continue, they should apply their 2017 new found riches to the seating problem or just watch it disappear with the rest of the streaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back