• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Secret visit

This was a tweet posted that showed a lot of the smoke around him being in Lincoln (Compton posted something similar a day later). It was posted after the Michigan game, which was an away game. They said it was on a gameday where attention was elsewhere, which I initially interpreted to mean a home game, but I guess it could have been an away game.

It would make sense for it to be either the Michigan or Wisconsin game to fit the timelines they've laid out on the process. Rhule initially said no to the job, but bringing him to Lincoln was part of what sealed the deal (that and the contract).

I agree with Trev that it is hard for people to appreciate what Nebraska has to offer without actually visiting. Glad they got to make the visit and use that to help sway them.

PcnUjSEMBlpgk.gif

So did he fly in on a private jet? Seems like, even in a private airport situation, some worker would have leaked something. Pilots, ground crew, drivers. Did I hear him say they ate at Waffle House?
Yes, he did.

This wasn't really a big secret if you knew where to look :)

This was a tweet posted that showed a lot of the smoke around him being in Lincoln (Compton posted something similar a day later). It was posted after the Michigan game, which was an away game. They said it was on a gameday where attention was elsewhere, which I initially interpreted to mean a home game, but I guess it could have been an away game.

It would make sense for it to be either the Michigan or Wisconsin game to fit the timelines they've laid out on the process. Rhule initially said no to the job, but bringing him to Lincoln was part of what sealed the deal (that and the contract).

I agree with Trev that it is hard for people to appreciate what Nebraska has to offer without actually visiting. Glad they got to make the visit and use that to help sway them.

He did? Where did that info come from?

Some of the "tracking" is obviously for fun (and not always correct) but it now shifts to following Rhule and staff around the country as they recruit. I've mentioned this in other threads but you can tell where these guys go based on recruits' social media posts. And that accomplishes a couple things- it allows you to know who they are targeting (you'll see a picture of them together in a high school/living room/etc.) and it also allows you to see which flights (and tail numbers) they are using, which is helpful for future "tracking".

I feel a little like Magnum PI. Athough I don't have the looks or the car.

He did? Where did that info come from?
Believe he mentioned it in the press conference. Said that he initially talked with Trev and while the opportunity seemed good he initially decided that he was just going to take the year off. Then when Trev and admin came back with an established plan and better package, he reconsidered. The trip to Lincoln helped seal the deal.

I've read so much that I could be aggregating that from reports, rather than what he said, but I thought that was what was mentioned. I've read and listened to a lot over the last few days, so I could be mixing some stuff up.

Some of the "tracking" is obviously for fun (and not always correct) but it now shifts to following Rhule and staff around the country as they recruit. I've mentioned this in other threads but you can tell where these guys go based on recruits' social media posts. And that accomplishes a couple things- it allows you to know who they are targeting (you'll see a picture of them together in a high school/living room/etc.) and it also allows you to see which flights (and tail numbers) they are using, which is helpful for future "tracking".

I feel a little like Magnum PI. Athough I don't have the looks or the car.
As long as you wear a Hawaiian shirt :thumbsup:

Believe he mentioned it in the press conference. Said that he initially talked with Trev and while the opportunity seemed good he initially decided that he was just going to take the year off. Then when Trev and admin came back with an established plan and better package, he reconsidered. The trip to Lincoln helped seal the deal.

I've read so much that I could be aggregating that from reports, rather than what he said, but I thought that was what was mentioned. I've read and listened to a lot over the last few days, so I could be mixing some stuff up.
You could be right too, I just hadn't seen that. Rhule seems like a polished speaker, implying he initially said no and had to be convinced would seem a little awkward. But admittedly I might have missed that part.

You could be right too, I just hadn't seen that. Rhule seems like a polished speaker, implying he initially said no and had to be convinced would seem a little awkward. But admittedly I might have missed that part.
My take is he wanted the job, period, full stop. It was the Carolina contract that was holding up the deal. He said Trev had to get creative.

I was told that the Platinum board was garbage and we shouldn't listen to what they say because they charge more for a membership. Turns out that maybe their sources were right all along as they had the Rhule intel going back to early October. Sure would be nice if we could attract more insiders back to this board.

My take is he wanted the job, period, full stop. It was the Carolina contract that was holding up the deal. He said Trev had to get creative.
That's what I got too from one of his later interviews. He said he was really disappointed it wasn't going to work out, but then Trev came back and it looked like there was a shot after all. I took that to mean Trev worked a deal Carolina would be agreeable to.

So it appears the rumor he turned us down may well have been he wanted to come but something outside, Carolina, was messing up the opportunity.

So like I said, I watched and read a lot of stuff yesterday. Rhule didn't directly say that he turned down the job initially. It came from this Greg McElroy breakdown of the hire. That said, it seems like McElroy's sources are solid as he lays down a lot of details about how this went down. It is around the 3:00 mark that he mentions us getting turned down and then Trev coming back with a more comprehensive plan to sway him. I think if you piece together this interview along with things Trev and Rhule have said about the process, I think you can come to the conclusion I listed previously.

I loved Rhule's initial statements at his PC yesterday talking about how bought in his family is and how they want to be a part of the community. I think it's awesome that he gave so much credit to his wife and kids for being influential in this decision and it further cements that, culturally, I think he's a phenomenal fit for us. I really do feel like this is a perfect match made at the right time for our program.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back