• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

SEC TV contract

Saw this last night, and this is a pretty big deal for the future of TV contracts. No way CBS gets out of college football, but it's pretty surprising they'd do a hard pass with the SEC after working together for over 30 years. If I have the current B1G contract timeline right, the conference will be up for a new contract in 2023 as well. I don't think CBS will partner with just one conference again, so I'd have to imagine this will create even more money for the conferences as CBS will show more interest.

With that said, and assuming the SEC goes all in on ESPN/ABC, I'm not a fan of one network having so much control over CFB. I would absolutely love it if CBS made a hard bid to host the CFP, and with all the money FOX is spending on its CFB broadcasting, I'd have to imagine they'll have interest being the playoff host as well. The current CFP contract with ESPN lasts until 2025, so we could see a lot of changes happening in CFB between 2023 and 2026. Get these bowl games back on network TV.

Saw this last night, and this is a pretty big deal for the future of TV contracts. No way CBS gets out of college football, but it's pretty surprising they'd do a hard pass with the SEC after working together for over 30 years. If I have the current B1G contract timeline right, the conference will be up for a new contract in 2023 as well. I don't think CBS will partner with just one conference again, so I'd have to imagine this will create even more money for the conferences as CBS will show more interest.

With that said, and assuming the SEC goes all in on ESPN/ABC, I'm not a fan of one network having so much control over CFB. I would absolutely love it if CBS made a hard bid to host the CFP, and with all the money FOX is spending on its CFB broadcasting, I'd have to imagine they'll have interest being the playoff host as well. The current CFP contract with ESPN lasts until 2025, so we could see a lot of changes happening in CFB between 2023 and 2026. Get these bowl games back on network TV.
Heard the comedy channel is making a hard bid to televise Nebraska home games similar to the NBC contract with Notre Dame

Weird. I lived in Bevo Nation (in Norman). I got Hulu Live subscriber (CFB TV freak). The Hulu lineup includes BTN, ESPNSEC, ESPNACC plus CBSsports and all ESPN and FOX families. But not listed Longhorn and Big12 channels. BTW, I don't care about Bevo conference .... ala Big 12. I prefer P4 instead of P5.

They are already being paid - tuition, room & board, and soon for their likeness. If they want to get paid more ... then file suit and join the NFL.

Besides who is getting rich from these contracts - aside some $5M coaches .. ALL of the money is supporting non-revenue sports.
The tuition, room and board discourse is a tired and outdated sentiment. The money in CFB is insane and about grow even larger. Remuneration is the next step after being allowed to profit for their likeness. A matter of time....

The tuition, room and board discourse is a tired and outdated sentiment. The money in CFB is insane and about grow even larger. Remuneration is the next step after being allowed to profit for their likeness. A matter of time....
Just because it is going to happen does not make it right.

There are no Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft owners in college football benefiting from the insane amount of revenue and franchise value growth. Sure maybe there are too many coaches and AD's profiting a little bit too much ... but in the grand scheme those are relatively minor.

The woman on the track & field team who is going to school on a full-ride, the wrestler who would never have the opportunity to compete beyond high school, the women's volleyball team with 14 full ride scholarships that wouldn't exist, college baseball and softball with the glorious CWS events ... all of that and many many more ... who's collegiate presence is due entirely because of college football and basketball.

Agreed - the money is insane - and it is shared across thousands upon thousands of non-revenue sport student athletes who's only opportunity to attend college and compete athletically are due entirely to the insane amount of money generated by CFB.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back