• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

SEC meeting with some players and others

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
A few of the major SEC players met with some health officials and a few players from around the league.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/01/sec-football-players-safety-meeting/

The administrators said that the consensus was that some players would get the virus, no matter how hard they tried not to. The consensus also was that there is evidence that it will tire out those players for weeks and may cause some long term complications, including heart problems, but that remains only anecdotal information at the time. It is not at all clear that the players were satisfied with the answers.

The universities say they need the money. Players and their parents are just going to have to decide if they want to take the risk since doing so is basically to ensure that other people on campus and some fans can have big time programs in a whole bunch of sports.

Really good article and brings home a humbling reality........ While we all want to see football, and for the most part I dare say 90+ % of the coaches, staff, players, etc. do as well, players are overwhelmingly the ones putting their rear ends on the line for entertainment purposes. So if we do have a season this year, perhaps those who tend to want to throw kids under the bus and call them out for making a “boneheaded” play etc. will remember that before pushing the send button....

Really good article and brings home a humbling reality........ While we all want to see football, and for the most part I dare say 90+ % of the coaches, staff, players, etc. do as well, players are overwhelmingly the ones putting their rear ends on the line for entertainment purposes. So if we do have a season this year, perhaps those who tend to want to throw kids under the bus and call them out for making a “boneheaded” play etc. will remember that before pushing the send button....

Keep in mind they aren't just doing it for our entertainment. They are doing it for their future as well because they are showcasing their talents to the pros.

Hazard Pay.

This is why I keep coming back to the Name, Image & Likeness stuff. If we're asking players to risk their personal health for our entertainment, I just don't see how that's NOT an employer-employee relationship.

Professional athletes do the exact same thing - for a paycheck. Student athletes are supposed to earn a degree for their troubles; that's the agreement. But if athletics cannot occur "safely" (whatever that definition is)and we still expect them to play anyway, than we've altered the deal. There needs to be a recompense.

bucket

Keep in mind they aren't just doing it for our entertainment. They are doing it for their future as well because they are showcasing their talents to the pros.
That certainly wasn’t what I was trying to solely imply....
You and I know that 99% of folks that play aren’t going on to the pros. I don’t know what the percentage of them are who realize that right off the bat but just want to play to be playing... etc Mainly just emphasizing that there is more to just going out and playing in 2020 than ever before...

Last edited:
A few of the major SEC players met with some health officials and a few players from around the league.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/01/sec-football-players-safety-meeting/

The administrators said that the consensus was that some players would get the virus, no matter how hard they tried not to. The consensus also was that there is evidence that it will tire out those players for weeks and may cause some long term complications, including heart problems, but that remains only anecdotal information at the time. It is not at all clear that the players were satisfied with the answers.

The universities say they need the money. Players and their parents are just going to have to decide if they want to take the risk since doing so is basically to ensure that other people on campus and some fans can have big time programs in a whole bunch of sports.
Yeah if they weren't actually more likely to get Covid just as part of the general student population or even "studying online" all that would be very concerning to me. ;)

Just kidding... kind of. I'm well aware that society is unprepared at this moment to allow a single Covid death or long term negative health outcome to be "on the books" of a money generating enterprise like college football and understand the reasoning, within the current American social construct. Anyway, college football is only one part of society and my interest in it is entertainment, so my personal concern doesn't give me much standing on it.

So I live in Colorado and according to CNN I should go prepare for Hurricane Isaiah :Eek: !!!!!! So I'll just be going now.

;)

Last edited:
Hazard Pay.

This is why I keep coming back to the Name, Image & Likeness stuff. If we're asking players to risk their personal health for our entertainment, I just don't see how that's NOT an employer-employee relationship.

Professional athletes do the exact same thing - for a paycheck. Student athletes are supposed to earn a degree for their troubles; that's the agreement. But if athletics cannot occur "safely" (whatever that definition is)and we still expect them to play anyway, than we've altered the deal. There needs to be a recompense.

bucket
That's a legitimate point.

The consensus also was that there is evidence that it will tire out those players for weeks and may cause some long term complications, including heart problems, but that remains only anecdotal information at the time.

I disagree with the statement “anecdotal information”

It is a bummer, but I just don’t see there being a football season.

This is the first time I have thought they should be paid and Duck Town makes the appropriate arguments. The universities have put not only the football program but all of the others on the backs of the football players. That's different from getting a scholarship to play their sport. I doubt that the universities would be pushing so hard to have these games if they didn't support the entire athletic program to the benefit of the brand of the entire university. There are risks because we really don't know how well other schools enforce their protocols.

This is the first time I have thought they should be paid and Duck Town makes the appropriate arguments. The universities have put not only the football program but all of the others on the backs of the football players.
It looks like Pac 12 players are responding like Employees.

As far as COVID is concerned, I’m not sure they are putting their butts on the line playing football any more than doing anything else 99% of college kids are doing anyway.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back