• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Sean Callahan reports NU doesn't need RB Coach

He seems to be a very versatile coach - and a great recruiter. I could see this working. A coach that can teach skills well and keep his guys working at a high level can be successful at coaching other position, IMO. Possible that Coach Brown would be around to support him, as well.
If he's never coached RBs before what leads anyone to believe he is intimately knowledgable enough about the position to coach it? Not all football coaches can coach all positions.

Maybe we won't have a RB's? Just WR's?

If that is the case. We are all set with Mickey!

Yeah, I don't like the idea of a coach trying to do something for the first time when it seems like the timeline on this experiment is short. That bit makes no sense. Rather than an ST coach full time, maybe someone just needs to spend some time on it. I have never seen such a mess and I don't believe that many teams use a full-time ST coach. It really shouldn't be that hard.
Most teams have an ST coach, but certainly not all. And success can be found either way. The other possibility is with Chins. He has one role, whereas, many DCs/OCs have a position as well.

Callahan finally figured it out. Clarifies things in his latest article. He suggests that answering the RB/ST coach questions isn't urgent. To me this smells like waiting for Dawson to move on.

Again.

He asks whether Beckton or Frost could coach RBs, or if Busch could coach a specific position in addition to STs.

I don't like the option of either Beckton or Frost coaching RBs. Aside from coaching UCF's DBs from 2009-2011, Beckton's always been a TE/WR coach. As Frost himself has said, he wants and needs to be more of a CEO type head coach. Being a position coach is not a "CEO type" job.

Busch has never coached anything but special teams and defensive backs. Fisher would have to move on for Busch to end up as a position coach IMO.

If Dawson moves on, I guess that means Ruud would coach both inside and outside LBs. I've always wondered why Chinander and Frost divided the LB coaching job in the first place.

He asks whether Beckton or Frost could coach RBs, or if Busch could coach a specific position in addition to STs.

I don't like the option of either Beckton or Frost coaching RBs. Aside from coaching UCF's DBs from 2009-2011, Beckton's always been a TE/WR coach. As Frost himself has said, he wants and needs to be more of a CEO type head coach. Being a position coach is not a "CEO type" job.

Busch has never coached anything but special teams and defensive backs. Fisher would have to move on for Busch to end up as a position coach IMO.

If Dawson moves on, I guess that means Ruud would coach both inside and outside LBs. I've always wondered why Chinander and Frost divided the LB coaching job in the first place.
I hardly see being the RBs coach as having the same drain on Scott as being the OC or as involved has he has been in the play calling. Chins probably had what appeared to be a bigger job trying to revamp the defense when he first got here, going from the 4-3 to a 3-4, and LBs was a huge concern in that regard. If Dawson were to move on, Ruud would be fine with LBs, as I think Chins would lend a hand as a former LB coach.

If we had Busch as ST, or brought in someone else, they could very well tap a really good GA to help with the RBs with Frost leaning in for support.

I hardly see being the RBs coach as having the same drain on Scott as being the OC or as involved has he has been in the play calling. Chins probably had what appeared to be a bigger job trying to revamp the defense when he first got here, going from the 4-3 to a 3-4, and LBs was a huge concern in that regard. If Dawson were to move on, Ruud would be fine with LBs, as I think Chins would lend a hand as a former LB coach.

If we had Busch as ST, or brought in someone else, they could very well tap a really good GA to help with the RBs with Frost leaning in for support.

Nobody in the Big Ten has a GA as the primary RB coach. The least experienced RB coaches in the Big Ten are Iowa's Ladell Betts and Illinois Cory Patterson. Betts had immediate credibility because he played in the NFL. As for Frost helping a GA, he's never coached RBs in his life. Since he coached LBs for a couple years at Northern Iowa, I'd trust Frost to be more helpful coaching them than RBs.

Players are going to commit to a coach. Their position coach is the guy who's going to be responsible for coaching and developing them on a day to day basis, and all of the RB recruits Nebraska's going to want to get are going to have getting to the NFL as their #1 goal. What top RB recruits are going to commit to Nebraska if they're being coached on a daily basis by guys who don't have any previous experience with the position and a track record of helping their guys get to the NFL?

Last edited:
I want Scott to coach the RBs... I think this will be a good thing. It will make him get back to understanding that RBs are the key to winning football games in the B1G.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back