• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scott Frost's offense - why the spread?

That offense could still work, so could Wisconsin’s. Any scheme could still work, you have to execute and recruit to it though.
Help me understand. Besides recruiting a QB to run a system, do you really have to recruit players to a system? Don't you get the best athlete/FB players you can period otherwise? It is portrayed often that it takes so long for a kid apparently to learn a new way to run block tackle. We have very knowledgeable people here who can probably provide an answer. I think I'm looking for the "why is it that way?" vs "This is how it is" assessment. Help wanted.

The truth is, the spread can be successful in the Big 10, and it can be successful at Nebraska.

Both Sean Watson and Tim Beck ran a very similar offense to Scott Frost.

In 2011 Taylor Martinez passed for 2000 and 13 TD’s, and ran for 800 and 9 touchdowns.
In 2012 Taylor passed for 2870 and 23 TD’s and ran for 1000 and 10 TD’s.

In 2011 Rex ran for 1350 and 15 Td’s
In 2012 Ameer ran for 1130 and 8 Td’s
In 2013 Ameer ran for 1690 and 9 Td’s
In 2014 Ameer ran for 1600 and 19 Td’s

The fact of the matter is, the spread offense works in the Big 10, and it works at Nebraska.....it just doesnt seem to be working under Frost

For the gurus on here – there's been a theme that QBs in this offense need to be able to make "quick decisions." Part of the reason for making the switch from AM to LM was because LM played "faster." And he indeed looked faster during the few series he played last season, and during the opening series of the season vs. OSU. But he didn't look "faster" by any measure yesterday.

Is the problem that the QBs we have aren't quick enough thinkers, or that we're asking them to do "pointless calculations" as the play is unfolding?

I heard Sirles say yesterday that Illinois ran the same run play about 10 times. We keep bragging about how sophisticated our offense it, but it's obviously too hard for our QBs to process in real-time, and it's so hard to decipher that it's keeping WRs off the field.

Can we keep things "dumb" and "simple" enough until our team starts performing better?

Last edited:
They do. Teams like Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, they basically run what we do.

But Purdue and Indiana don't seem to emphasize QB run as much as we do.

Justin F is obviously a superstar.

Seems to me that if your QB can't make those short throws consistently, our offense is cooked.

But Purdue and Indiana don't seem to emphasize QB run as much as we do.

Justin F is obviously a superstar.

Seems to me that if your QB can't make those short throws consistently, our offense is cooked.
We emphasize QB run because we were getting beat on the lines so had to insert our +1 (QB) to the run game. McCaffrey had 22 rushes in the first half at 170 pounds. That’s not good.

We emphasize QB run because we were getting beat on the lines so had to insert our +1 (QB) to the run game. McCaffrey had 22 rushes in the first half at 170 pounds. That’s not good.

I agree, but did we recruit (or retain) the right guys for our system?

I'm assuming that Gebbia and O'Brien are better passers than AM and LM.

Somewhere along the way, this staff placed greater value on running skills than passing skills.

That offense could still work, so could Wisconsin’s. Any scheme could still work, you have to execute and recruit to it though.
And that begs the real question... why did Frost become more enamored with Chip Kelly's offense rather than Tom Osborne's?

What percentage of QB plays do we run because they are called in the huddle vs QB runs because they can't find the receiver or the line play breaks down?

The truth is, the spread can be successful in the Big 10, and it can be successful at Nebraska.

In 2011 Taylor Martinez passed for 2000 and 13 TD’s, and ran for 800 and 9 touchdowns.

The fact of the matter is, the spread offense works in the Big 10, and it works at Nebraska.....it just doesnt seem to be working under Frost
I'm not suggesting the spread offense can't be effective. I know others have said it doesn't work in the Big Ten, but I disagree with them. But since that's what basically everyone is doing, why not do something different? Superficially it may seem less sexy, but who cares if it gives us an advantage and can get the job done?

By the way, those years (2011-2014) were all under Beck, I think. Watson left town after 2010. Spread wasn't really his thing, but he gave it a shot in 2010 with Taylor Martinez.

What percentage of QB plays do we run because they are called in the huddle vs QB runs because they can't find the receiver or the line play breaks down?
We had a ton of called QB runs last game but he also tucks pretty quick. Again, not all his fault since that’s his best asset they tell him to use it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back