• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scott Frost's offense - why the spread?

Scott Frost certainly had some great success with the spread offense at Oregon, and he brought that success with him to UCF. But what is it that made him prefer that style of play over a more power style of offense?

Frost attended Nebraska from 1995-1997. Those three teams averaged 52, 42, and 47 points per game. That's a pretty potent offense, and they did it on the ground.

It's also obvious that Frost has a great deal of respect for Tom Osborne and the way in which Osborne ran the program. Osborne did it his way even when the rest of the world was always trying the next new thing.

So why did Frost become so enamored with the spread offense rather than embracing the grind it out on the ground offense?

Does anyone else think that an Osborne offense could be successful in 2020?
I think NU will be relegated to misery until we start running smash mouth football again.

It’s amazing to see how efficient SF’s offense is when it’s humming. Here’s a clip of UCF vs. Memphis from 2017 that shows every offensive player from the press box, as well as from the end zone. It looks almost identical to the offense we run, albeit with less success.

Two observations:

1) Milton is like a coach on the field. He knows what every motion means, what every reaction by the defense means, and where to distribute the ball on every single play based off of what the defense is giving him.

2) Memphis respects the passing game and the playmaking ability of the UCF WR’s enough to not crowd the box. And when they do find their receivers in man coverage, Milton is not afraid to throw a 50/50 ball and throw his man open, rather than waiting for his man to get open.

It’s amazing to see how efficient SF’s offense is when it’s humming. Here’s a clip of UCF vs. Memphis from 2017 that shows every offensive player from the press box, as well as from the end zone. It looks almost identical to the offense we run, albeit with less success.

Two observations:

1) Milton is like a coach on the field. He knows what every motion means, what every reaction by the defense means, and where to distribute the ball on every single play based off of what the defense is giving him.

2) Memphis respects the passing game and the playmaking ability of the UCF WR’s enough to not crowd the box. And when they do find their receivers in man coverage, Milton is not afraid to throw a 50/50 ball and throw his man open, rather than waiting for his man to get open.

They where able to run the ball, at UCF, to keep defenses honest. That to me right there is the #1problem. No running game- no respect load the box.

Mind you they also weren't playing huge team's week in and out like in the Big 10.

Frost needs to modify. Implement a goaline offense like many teams do.

Last edited:
The spread offense is not what made Oregon (chip Kelly) and UCF (Scott Frost) into respected offensive coaches, it was the use of tempo with the spread offense.

This at the time was a unique problem for defensive coaches and they struggled to catch up as tempo forced them to play with what they had on the field and increased the ability of the offense to create mismatches and big plays.

Defensive coaches caught up to tempo with the use of the mandatory substitution rule that allowed them to have the ref hold the action while the defense "adjusted" to what the offense was going to do. Tempo then became less of a weapon, and you can see that Chip Kelly is doing only fair at UCLA after an amazing run with it at Oregon.

That's football, new idea, one side gets an advantage for while then an adjustment occurs.

I think Scott is struggling to find that "new thing" that will help him get his offense ahead of the defense instead of having a base philosophy, and identity and building upon that like Dr Tom did. Dr Tom's advantage of course was he had the Bobfather's foundation to build from!

Finally, don't rag on Scott for missing the "forward pass" call early in the game. Having been at field level for a game, I am sure he couldn't see that himself, but his press box staff sure as H@ll should have seen it and been telling him to march onto the field and as, Bear Bryant did one time, put your foot and the ball and demand a review!!!

GBR

Yeah lots of good points by everyone. I am 100% in the camp that we should either lean toward a power run offense of some sort out of either the spread or the I-Formation. I also would be fine running GA. Southern's Trip option attack out of the spread. It is a lot of fun to watch them run that offense lol.

They where able to run the ball, at UCF, to keep defenses honest. That to me right there is the #1problem. No running game- no respect load the box.

Mind you they also weren't playing huge team's week in and out like in the Big 10.

Frost needs to modify. Implement a goaline offense like many teams do.
I think you have that backwards; they load the box because they don't respect the pass.

Well, it all starts with the offensive line, recruiting a bunch of tall 6-6 to 6-9 players is not part of the ingredient of a TO Line and down hill running game.

I’m not sure that whole husker power meets “modern” football is real. I don’t see anything close to what was done in the 90s.

I think you have that backwards; they load the box because they don't respect the pass.

Which will outman at the point of attack and stop the run? Have we had any effective running back really asides Robinson asides Qb scrambles and delayed draws? Maybe it's Frost's play calling but something tells me it wouldn't be different with the backs running into piles vs finding crease's..

Last edited:

Yeah lots of good points by everyone. I am 100% in the camp that we should either lean toward a power run offense of some sort out of either the spread or the I-Formation. I also would be fine running GA. Southern's Trip option attack out of the spread. It is a lot of fun to watch them run that offense lol.

This. I absolutely love GA southern does

Remember Frost was surrounded with excellent players such as Marques Mariotta and a winning tradition. Coming to Nebraska he inherited a pro set offense in tatters a terrible defense and no direction.

When does blaming the other staff stop? Year 7? His first class are Juniors now and there are only a hand full of left over MR players. So funny that other programs in a worse state with way lower recruiting rankings are able to get a coach to turn things around faster and start showing progress by year 3. This is all on SF and his staff to either not evaluate well or not able to develop players well or both. Combined with poor game management and an inability to make in game and half time adjustments is a very sad state of NU football.

C

Last edited:
Frost is running the offense that he knows. Or at least he's trying to. If he want's to change it he'll need to bring in a new staff - the current one knows (or think they know) how to run the spread. We could be in for an even longer haul if things start to get re-tooled now as we'd need players with a different skill set. Defense is another story...don't even know what to say about that.

Finally, don't rag on Scott for missing the "forward pass" call early in the game. Having been at field level for a game, I am sure he couldn't see that himself, but his press box staff sure as H@ll should have seen it and been telling him to march onto the field and as, Bear Bryant did one time, put your foot and the ball and demand a review!!!

Liked the whole post but wanted to comment here, fwiw... Somewhere in the Sunday articles linked to HM front page, there was a direct quote from the referee that made this call. He said there wasn't a short-stop camera on that part of the field, so they couldn't review the angle needed. Thus, they couldn't confirm and moved on. So if challenged, no result.

Realize you are speaking to reaction by staff tho...

When does blaming the other staff stop? Year 7? His first call are Juniors now and there are only a hand full of left over MR players. So funny that other programs in a worse state with way lower recruiting rankings are able to get a coach to turn things around faster and start showing progress by year 3. This is all on SF and his staff to either not evaluate well or not able to develop players well or both. Combined with poor game management and an inability to make in game and half time adjustments is a very sad state of NU football.

Couldn’t agree more. Frost’s arrogance is going to be his downfall.

Liked the whole post but wanted to comment here, fwiw... Somewhere in the Sunday articles linked to HM front page, there was a direct quote from the referee that made this call. He said there wasn't a short-stop camera on that part of the field, so they couldn't review the angle needed. Thus, they couldn't confirm and moved on. So if challenged, no result.

Realize you are speaking to reaction by staff tho...
That answer by the refs is complete nonsense.

The TV showed several replays that clearly showed:
1. It was a forward pass
2. pass was past the line of scrimmage (penalty)
3. Even the BTN "rules guy" said "this is a forward pass and it will be reviewed and call overturned".

That they didnt have as many angles as with Fox, ESPN, NBC is true. That they could not do a successful review with what they had is total BS!!!!!!!

BiG Ten refs are worst in the country, again!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back