• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scott Frost vs Herm Edwards

Oracle of Lincoln

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Hired within a few days of each other in 2017. One panned as a terrible hire and a restructuring plan that would never work. The other heralded as the best hire of the year with top recruits flocking to play for him.

22 months in it’s a different story.

Edwards took over a team that hadn’t had much success. Recruiting rankings were pedestrian and the program had a history of the middle of the Pac12 pack. This year they’ve played hard each week and are ranked 17th in the country.

Frost’s team is coming off a week in which the effort and execution has been questioned by almost every CFB analyst. The hot shot frosh QB has noticeably regressed. They struggled with a NW team without an offense and sputtered against that Sun Belt power, South Alabama.

I wouldn’t take Edwards over Frost even considering the 10 million contract guarantee vs Frost’s 35 million. And shouldn’t young athletes identify and play hard for a 44 yr old coach over a 65 year old?

But what has happened the last 22 months? Lots of theories floating around but nothing sticks. And is it going to continue like this? Because no one predicted this in 2017.

Does that account for a team not playing hard 22 months in?

They had a bad game. Real bad. The effort sucked and at least part of that is on the staff, but it's also on the kids. Also don't always label bad technique or not properly executing an assignment as 'not playing hard'. There is still some dog on the roster, no doubt, but the turnover isn't 100% yet either.

Great job by Herm, but I'll stick with Frost.

Interesting look at their depth chart:

AZ - 13 of 22 starters are juniors or seniors.
NU - 16 of 22 starters are juniors or seniors.

AZ - 6 of the 22 second stringers are juniors or seniors.
NU - 7 of the 22 second stringers are juniors or seniors.

They have a lot of freshmen and sophomores on their two deep.

They had a bad game. Real bad. The effort sucked and at least part of that is on the staff, but it's also on the kids. Also don't always label bad technique or not properly executing an assignment as 'not playing hard'. There is still some dog on the roster, no doubt, but the turnover isn't 100% yet either.

Great job by Herm, but I'll stick with Frost.
Yeah me too. But the parallels are interesting considering how they were viewed in 2017.

Yeah me too. But the parallels are interesting considering how they were viewed in 2017.

There was no doubt in my mind Frost and Nebraska would have outperformed Arizona State this year and I really didn't think Edwards was going to be the coach by 2019. He deserves a great deal of credit and Frost has earned some criticism.

1. ASU is getting into the tough part of their schedule and will start crapping the bed per usual

2.We may get a chance to play them in a bowl. We will lose.

3. I hate ASU and don’t like Herm

Last edited:
Hired within a few days of each other in 2017. One panned as a terrible hire and a restructuring plan that would never work. The other heralded as the best hire of the year with top recruits flocking to play for him.

22 months in it’s a different story.

Edwards took over a team that hadn’t had much success. Recruiting rankings were pedestrian and the program had a history of the middle of the Pac12 pack. This year they’ve played hard each week and are ranked 17th in the country.

Frost’s team is coming off a week in which the effort and execution has been questioned by almost every CFB analyst. The hot shot frosh QB has noticeably regressed. They struggled with a NW team without an offense and sputtered against that Sun Belt power, South Alabama.

I wouldn’t take Edwards over Frost even considering the 10 million contract guarantee vs Frost’s 35 million. And shouldn’t young athletes identify and play hard for a 44 yr old coach over a 65 year old?

But what has happened the last 22 months? Lots of theories floating around but nothing sticks. And is it going to continue like this? Because no one predicted this in 2017.
Do you ever stop being an idiot moron? Are you this fun at get together's too?

I thought the Edwards hire was odd at the time. He sure has gotten them playing pretty well and they are in a different place vs the Huskers at the moment.

Wonder if Frost put a little too much faith in what he thought he could get out of the o-line and WR room without burning too many RS and it bit him in the butt? Now he's kind of stuck trying to make it work while trying to make a bowl and not have another disaster season on his hands. Made a heavy bet on the future and it's hurting a bunch in the present?

I don't know, but I am pretty shocked this team looks so bad right now. I thought sure they'd be humming along on offense at least.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back