• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Scathing Article On Basketball Consultant and Bill Moos

If in year 7 of your program, you NEED an outside consultant to help, then maybe it's time to see the writing on the wall.

Nick Saban frequently uses Kevin Elko as a consultant for both himself personally and his team. I don't have a dog in this fight but I don't see outside consultants as an issue.

If we give Moos the benefit of the doubt he KNOWS Miles isn't the answer and KNOWS he has to be fired regardless of how well the team did this year. That is for sure how he has acted with not only this move, but for what he said before the season started. Something like...the team has to do better than 23 wins(whatever it was last year). That was a dumb and unfair statement to make. It's probably the main reason I'm not a big fan of his.

I don't know enough about Miles to say if he should stay to be fired. I know he's recruited good, but not great but maybe as good as can be expected. He lost that really big recruit last year when our assistant left. that would have for sure helped. He for sure has recruited a lot better than our coaches since Nee. We lost 3 transferred who would have gotten us to the dance this year. Not sure if they for legit reasons like he's not a good coach or just because they didn't like their role on the team or saw too much of a logjam on the roster.

He's also had to rely on transfers which is a gamble, because they are probably good on the talent side, but are maybe higher risk on some intangibles. So yeah...I'd like to know the opinion of objective insiders into the program who know what good coaching is. Not message board insiders, but like any level headed former players that have been around the program.

If in year 7 of your program, you NEED an outside consultant to help, then maybe it's time to see the writing on the wall.
I guess I could just blame everything on the AD. That seems to be the way to go.

Or, I could wonder why a coach, in 7 years, hasn't established a firm culture in his program. Successful coaches don't NEED to bring in outside consultants in the middle of a season. It's one thing to have a visitor speak to the team or do a weekend workshop. But to need this during the season? That's not a really good sign.
Every year is different ... different team, different personalities, different alpha dogs ... this year's team had all of the talent in the world but lacked cohesiveness. Why not do something to bring this group of extremely talented individuals together? What if Miles truly lacked that ability but sought out a resource to supplement a personal weakness - is that not a positive sign?

No one is blaming everything on the AD. And I am even OK with his "ruling" that only use consultants he's approved. You just don't do that mid-season unless TM ignored him in the first place.

The AD's first job is to provide all of the resources possible for the coach to succeed.

Also one real specific point ... the consultant was NOT brought in mid-season, he was there from the start of the season. What the AD did is undermine Miles mid-season. That is wrong!

Every year is different ... different team, different personalities, different alpha dogs ... this year's team had all of the talent in the world but lacked cohesiveness. Why not do something to bring this group of extremely talented individuals together? What if Miles truly lacked that ability but sought out a resource to supplement a personal weakness - is that not a positive sign?

No one is blaming everything on the AD. And I am even OK with his "ruling" that only use consultants he's approved. You just don't do that mid-season unless TM ignored him in the first place.

The AD's first job is to provide all of the resources possible for the coach to succeed.

Also one real specific point ... the consultant was NOT brought in mid-season, he was there from the start of the season. What the AD did is undermine Miles mid-season. That is wrong!
Undermined? How much of our practiced revolves around this input? If he spoke to the guys more than about 5 minutes a practice, I’d be ticked we weren’t using our limited practice time better. I really don’t understand why some think it’s normal for an outside entity to have continued or regular interaction with the team. And seriously, if the psyche of the team was so incredibly frail that they just designed when denied continuing interaction, they weren’t getting the message.

I’d love to have seen exactly what this ‘silver bullet’ was that the team couldn’t function without, or worse, couldn’t retain it beyond a couple of weeks.

One question I have...why wasnt Marc Boehm fired one or two failed coaches into his tenure as asst AD for basketball? Doesnt this really start there? You have an asst AD for a sport that has had every coach he has overseen in his tenure fired for incompetence. Why does THAT guy still have a job?

Isn’t that the FIRST place you start revamping a program that hasnt improved...clean the systemic failure out of the program and start fresh?

I dont really care, but I was really hoping UNO would make the Dance and pull a first round upset.

One question I have...why wasnt Marc Boehm fired one or two failed coaches into his tenure as asst AD for basketball? Doesnt this really start there? You have an asst AD for a sport that has had every coach he has overseen in his tenure fired for incompetence. Why does THAT guy still have a job?

Isn’t that the FIRST place you start revamping a program that hasnt improved...clean the systemic failure out of the program and start fresh?

I dont really care, but I was really hoping UNO would make the Dance and pull a first round upset.
I thought when Moos came in and did his reorg that Boehm was no longer in charge of Basketball but I can’t remember for sure.

I thought when Moos came in and did his reorg that Boehm was no longer in charge of Basketball but I can’t remember for sure.
He expanded his span of control beyond just basketball, which was odd because it didn't seem like basketball was handled all that well over the years. He's still referred to as being in charge of basketball in the press, but this is what was announced when Moos took over:
https://www.klkntv.com/story/376904...es-restructuring-of-athletic-department-staff

Last edited:

I think Boehm is a scapegoat some of the time. He really doesn’t do much outside of financial stuff. I would make a change there as well though. The Shim-Shams are unforgivable.

I think Boehm is a scapegoat some of the time. He really doesn’t do much outside of financial stuff. I would make a change there as well though. The Shim-Shams are unforgivable.

According to this, he has nothing to do with basketball. IDK, maybe I’m way out of date here. I just find it incredulous that Boehm retained his job after 3 coaches in his sport were fired under his watch.

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebra...cle_3b26abdc-64d2-5c06-be29-4535cd476888.html

Last edited:

This is a good question but it might have to do with his duties. He might not have had any direct control over the actual coaching or recruiting but was simply in charge or oversaw logistical and financial parts of it such as scheduling, administrative staffing, marketing and travel. Kind of like an XO in a military company. Handles logistics and administration and has little or no function in the actual mission.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back